Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

CO2 To End Pursuits (Smash Lab)

6 posts in this topic

Tonight, on the Discovery Channel (10PM EST), there is a show called "Smash Lab". I've never watched the show, but the commercials for this episode have me interested. The show's motto is "Dangerous Experiments for a Safer World"

Apparently, in this episode, they are going to explore using CO2 to end a vehicle pursuit.

Should be interesting.

It's a good show but TERRIBLE actors! I like the concepts and I do plan on watching it but the actors kind of kill the show.

I missed it, but according to the TV schedule, it's on again Mar 30, 10:00 am.

i caught only the last few mins that basically said that they couldn't really get it to work in the on-street experiment - The idea being, i gather, that pumping a cloud of CO2 in front of the pursuee from a hose at the rear of the pursuer (problem # 1 being reversing the order of the 2 vehicle's normal positions...) would displace the O2, choking the motor. Problem #2 seemed to be creating a dense enough cloud when actually moving, that the now-following pursuee would be stuck in. As I said, I only saw the last few minutes, so I'm assuming that was the purpose of the CO2, as opposed to freezing some component.

I watched the whole segment a few days ago, very interesting. the low speed results worked but not practicale. It may lead to something similar in the future. Maybe replace stop sticks.