Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaRock98

Does gas really go bad?

16 posts in this topic

I've had bad gas before! lol

Since gas has jumped to 15% ethanol, I have noticed carb orings, diaphragms and seals drying out faster than in years past. Sta-bil works good but if gas is sitting over 8 months in a tank, Dump it IMO.

Of course I had to throw a funny in about he gaas.In a recent boating magazine the issue was brought up about the ethanol. In a nutshell if you don't use it being the boat or anything motorized with gasoline you might have a problem.i know that when i put my boat away in dec I used a product made by StarBrite. It is supposed to help out the situation. For those of us that have saws that aren't really used much this might be a problem within your own dept or around your house. Sams,generators, blowers etc. Look up starbrite products and you will see what they have to say about ethanol and small engines. Hudson

I use starbright in my boat to, dosent make me any smarter but the boat runs better. :blink:

Working around all small equipment for a long time if Gas sits for a while, has varnished up float and carbs, found the best thing to do is dump gas out and run machine, blower etc. till it stalls. Have been doing this on all my equipment and it seems to start right up when needed.

We had this problem at FD as well the Small engine Mechanic said to do above it has not been a problem since.

I have been using "Stabil" in gasoline for a while. It works. Haven't had varnish/gum deposits in any of my stored small engines, or the pickup I put away for the winters.

I put fuel stabilizer in the motorcycle every year right before the winter and I have no problems starting it back up in the spring. A buddy of mine didnt put it in and he had to go and get the carburator and hoses cleaned and replaced because the gas "gelled".

Ok, I can't resist.....

yes, gas really does go bad. if you leasve it in more than a year without any treatment like stabil it will start to gum up your fuel system. if you have premix gas and oil, I would not keep it more than 6 months.

ethanol blend gasoline used in premix will eat fuel line found in older 2 cycle engines if it sits for any period of time. it is best to run them out of gas mix and fog the engine with wd 40

The main reason it is big in boats is because they are differnet types of engines. The ethanol is really hurting engines nowadays. If you get any water in the gas tank either from condensation or just any water it sepparates the gas and ethanol messing up the engine and screwing up the carborators. You are also looking at a nice bill to get your tank pumped too.

and sorry but to answer your question I believe gas can go bad if you leave it in a certain spot for a period of time.

Keep some in a gas can over the winter and look at it in the spring and you can answer that question. You can see the sediment on the bottom of the can.<br /><br />Gellied gasoline...that's basically Napalm! One of the premiere anti-personnel air support weapons. Smells like feces & sticks to kids!<br /><br />Secondly every manufacturer of gas run engines will tell you the same. The higher ethanol sucks and Cutters Edge for that reason recommends using racing fuel in their saws to stop the damage and other issues that arise from regular gas.<br /><br />

The main reason it is big in boats is because they are different types of engines. The ethanol is really hurting engines nowadays. If you get any water in the gas tank either from condensation or just any water it sepparates the gas and ethanol messing up the engine and screwing up the carborators. You are also looking at a nice bill to get your tank pumped too.

I have to agree with you 1000% A couple of years ago my family's brand new boat (42' Carver) went thru it's first winter untreated (even though people were paid to close it up for the winter) and spring time rolled around we got 50 feet away from shore and one of the engines died. A large amount of water collected in the one tank, condensation from the ethanol (tank was filled to 3/4) thousands of dollars later the problem was fixed (after they took the whole fuel system apart)

Now the boat runs great! To bad it's gonna cost over $1,000 to fill the gas tanks this year :angry:

Does gasoline really go "bad" if you leave it unused for a period of time? Some people are convinced this is just another urban legend, and that people who worry about "old gas" and spend money on fuel stabilizer are wasting psychic energy as well as cash.

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a...703144909990001

Good question. The web address given has the answers. Gas can definitely go bad. Use of fuel stabilizer for storage time is highly recommended! ;)

Working around all small equipment for a long time if Gas sits for a while, has varnished up float and carbs, found the best thing to do is dump gas out and run machine, blower etc. till it stalls. Have been doing this on all my equipment and it seems to start right up when needed.

We had this problem at FD as well the Small engine Mechanic said to do above it has not been a problem since.

well I just tried to start my generator after sitting for 17 months and the gas is cloudy and doesnt even smell like gas anymore. No water got inside. So, I guess gas can go bad.

Edited by DOC22
Punctuation