Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

East Fishkill (Dutchess) NY - ATV Accident

25 posts in this topic

Here are some shots of the LZ operation for this incident...... Because I was familiar with the LZ location - IBM 320 North lot, I decided to go to the same and take some images....... The lot is illuminated with sodium vapor lights which cast an orange hue that is very difficult to photograph under..... Therefore, many of these shots are black&white which aren't effected as badly as color images....... I just did these up quickly ...... If I put more time into them and come up with some better images, I will put them up on my site....For now, this is it..... Bill

278629017_77NwZ-L.jpg

East Fishkill's "LZ Command" monitors the incoming Stat-Flight Air-2

278654735_GLEDR-L.jpg

EFFD, Mobile Life, and Stat-Flight personnel work on preparing the patient for transport.

278654882_wjGcG-L.jpg

Preparing to load the patient into Air-2.......

278655094_ZokPe-L.jpg

Time to load.........

278654153_L6v8d-L.jpg

They're off......... Stat-Flight Air-2 departs for the Trauma Center.

Thanks for sharing Bill 1 Question though was this the 7 year old child? or the 2nd patient?

the 7 year old was flown to wmc the second patient was an RMA at the scene

Are the EFFD wearing the scott paks as a precaution in case something goes wrong?

Are the EFFD wearing the scott paks as a precaution in case something goes wrong?

One would have to assume so.....any time I see a Stat Flight landing I see an engine at the scene with a handline stretched but not charged and the members in full PPE and SCBAs. This is incase anything goes wrong or the LZ needs to wetdown to prevent any dust or other objects from flying all over the place.

I also believe that it is Stat Flights SOP that this is practiced at all LZs.

Pt should never wait at a LZ for a helicopter.

I disagree. If it would still be faster to get the pt to a Trauma Center faster by air then ground and they are in the hands of ALS I think it was the right move to wait at the LZ which was only a 5-10 minute wait. Route 9 at that time is hellish at best

They could have easily gotten to SFH in the time they waited for the helicopter. However, going to WCMC is another story...

One would have to assume so.....any time I see a Stat Flight landing I see an engine at the scene with a handline stretched but not charged and the members in full PPE and SCBAs. This is incase anything goes wrong or the LZ needs to wetdown to prevent any dust or other objects from flying all over the place.

If the helicopter is going to crash it's not going to crash at the LZ. Was recently told, it is useless to have a hand line streched at an LZ, you will more than likely have to move your operations to wherever the scene ends up.

Edited by FFD941

If the helicopter is going to crash it's not going to crash at the LZ. Was recently told, it is useless to have a hand line streched at an LZ, you will more than likely have to move your operations to wherever the scene ends up.

A line does not get stretched at the LZ i guess the packs are just for "better safe than sorry"

They could have easily gotten to SFH in the time they waited for the helicopter. However, going to WCMC is another story...

The wait (after the patient was packeged and in the ambulance) was max 10 minutes. St Francis from this part of EF would be more than 10

I Agree. If I am correct there were no life threatening injuries?

The wait (after the patient was packeged and in the ambulance) was max 10 minutes. St Francis from this part of EF would be more than 10

Going by the IA, it was closer to 20, mapquest says 29 minutes to Saint's (code one)...It's a judgement call, it was the Chief's call and I'm not going to second guess it, I wasn't there.

Does Saints have a pediatric trauma unit? I think WCMC does. So hat may be another rason to go there over Saints.

SOP for LZs in East Fishkill, and yes, it is in the anticipation that if something does go wrong, they can SCOTT up fast, and go to work.

I doubt if it is StatFlight/LifeNet SOP, because numerous LZs (including when Fairview stands by at Saint Francis for incoming medevacs) I do not notice anyone with an SCBA on, just as well, most LZs nowadays (hopefully all) I do not notice handlines being pulled anymore.

True FFD941. It is not standard practice (anymore) for a handline to be pulled for just that reason.

Does Saints have a pediatric trauma unit? I think WCMC does. So hat may be another rason to go there over Saints.

Not per se. Saints does have the capacity to handle a pediatric trauma, for basic stabilization, as has been done in the past. However, in the past, it is common practice for us to stabilize, and then ship the patient out to WMC for further, in depth treatment.

SOP for LZs in East Fishkill, and yes, it is in the anticipation that if something does go wrong, they can SCOTT up fast, and go to work.

I doubt if it is StatFlight/LifeNet SOP, because numerous LZs (including when Fairview stands by at Saint Francis for incoming medevacs) I do not notice anyone with an SCBA on, just as well, most LZs nowadays (hopefully all) I do not notice handlines being pulled anymore.

True FFD941. It is not standard practice (anymore) for a handline to be pulled for just that reason.

Not per se. Saints does have the capacity to handle a pediatric trauma, for basic stabilization, as has been done in the past. However, in the past, it is common practice for us to stabilize, and then ship the patient out to WMC for further, in depth treatment.

That's what I thought, cause I had a recollection that was done not too long ago.

You are way too modest BJ, they were great shots, as always. It's always good to see my former firefighting brothers and sisters in action.

Dave

The CT Lifestar Safety Course teaches you how to access the cockpit if the bird goes down, but I do not believe it requires a hoseline. New Fairfield pulls one just in case, I believe its a standing order to do so. I don't know exactly what an engine company can do for a helicopter crash unless they carry enough foam to handle it, but I suppose its better than nothing.

That's what I thought, cause I had a recollection that was done not too long ago.

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=23291

The above link refers to (1) pediatric from triple fatal that was txp to Saint Francis for stabilization, and then from Saints by ground down to WMC (since MVA was weather related, which also prevented a medevac initially, as well as for transfer). :(

You are way too modest BJ, they were great shots, as always. It's always good to see my former firefighting brothers and sisters in action.

Dave

Lol, what did you call him Dave??? :lol:

As far as I know, hand lines don't get pulled at LZ'S for the reason you may have to move. However guys are out along side the rig with packs on ready to go, and up at Saint's they just stay in the rig from what I'm told. Also Stat Flight does want a truck at all LZ's for this reason.

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Spelling, Grammar

As far as I know, hand lines don't get pulled at LZ'S for the reason you may have to move. However guys are out along side the rig with packs on ready to go, and up at Saint's they just stay in the rig from what I'm told. Also Stat Flight does want a truck at all LZ's for this reason.

The gents from Fairview do not all just sit in the truck all the time. I work at Saints, and can tell ya 100% positive my information is 100% accurate, lol.

Fairview is (temperature dependent :P ) standing outside the rig to make sure traffic does not bypass them and drive right by the landing medevac, and also, helps us move the patient from the medevac into the ER if we need help.

Good bunch of guys!

And also FFD941. :lol::P

The gents from Fairview do not all just sit in the truck all the time. I work at Saints, and can tell ya 100% positive my information is 100% accurate, lol.

Fairview is (temperature dependent :P ) standing outside the rig to make sure traffic does not bypass them and drive right by the landing medevac, and also, helps us move the patient from the medevac into the ER if we need help.

Good bunch of guys!

And also FFD941. :lol::P

That's the second use for the nomex.... it's not just for the heat but also for the misc (Helicopter Landing) that comes up on the CAD for 241 North Road in the winter months

And then we get to go in and make sure that Nate is actually working and not just pretending!!! :lol:

Lol, ok, ok, all joking aside, I want to try and keep this thread on topic, about this specific incident.

Lol, ok, ok, all joking aside, I want to try and keep this thread on topic, about this specific incident.

And don't make me regret shooting/posting these....... I just thought that this would be something different and didn't think this thread would go where it has.......

Bill, you know you always manage to make an average photo op an splendiforous one. Your choice of angles, lighting, and a knack for good timing make the photo.