Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve shryock

Ulster County Brush Fire 4/18/08

56 posts in this topic

What is going on that so many chiefs are being toned out to call 60 control?

WESTCHESTER going M/A TO KINGSTON area for large brush fire

Kingston NY? If not where and how far is that from Westchester? Sorry for the 20 questions. Must be a pretty big brush fire.

Ulster County has issued a request for all firefighters in Putnam County for a large brush fire (1400 Acres)

Meeting Location is Rt44 & 55W in New Paltz at 08:00 for a 12 hr operational duty at Minnewaska Park

Bring boots, long pants, gloves, long sleeves, helmet, food, lots of water, and anything you feel necessary

Brooms and rakes requested

Any questions, contact Putnam 911

Authority by County Car 1

If I hear any other updates I will post... time to get some sleep for a long day tomorrow.

Putnam 911 just hit tones Countywide requesting all available manpower for 12 hour shifts tomorrow. Well, later today. I was in the other room and didn't catch it all.....but it was for a brush fire.

Is this for Putnam County only, or an anyone come and help?

Edited by xfirefighter484x
All CAPS

IS THIS FOR PUTNAM COUNTY ONLY OR CAN ANYONE COME AND HELP

It's a general request by Ulster County for manpower to fight a brush fire in a state park, the command post is in New Paltz. You're best bet is to have someone contact your respective dispatching center to inquire as to if help has been requested from your county.

IS THIS FOR PUTNAM COUNTY ONLY OR CAN ANYONE COME AND HELP

EFFD3918, do not, and I repeat, do NOT go freelance. If the situation required it, the same process would be accomplished through Dutchess County 911. Let your department be requested, and if need be, you will be asked.

On a separate note, I did in fact hear a couple different department chiefs getting toned out to contact Dutchess 911 earlier this evening.

sounds good Nate lol I was just inquiring I am actually busy tommorw anyway

and I heard the chiefs toned out as well..wonder what thats about

I got a call from a friend in New Paltz earlier today (about 1700hrs) telling me about a large volume of smoke he saw by him. In driving past the Dutchess County Airport, I could see a HUMONGOUS plume of smoke across the river, and it would appear all the bits and pieces are coming together and making sense now, lol!

I unfortunately did not even think to take a picture to show the size, which I regretted about 5 minutes after passing the airport.

This sounds like one hell of a fire. Next thing to happen we'll get inundated with "outside odor of burning" or "somke in the area" calls.

Remember a few years back, maybe ten years Large forest fire in Canada and the smoke reached all the way to Westchester.. Ulster has their hands full with this one, Good luck...

Remember a few years back, maybe ten years Large forest fire in Canada and the smoke reached all the way to Westchester.. Ulster has their hands full with this one, Good luck...

For that matter, wasn't there a large fire in, I believe Georgia, a few year back whose smoke and smell reached this far north?

Funny thing is I was actually telling someone about that incident years ago from Canada, before I came on here and saw there was a post about it.. it's funny how things like this bring back past memories <_< . On my way to work last night around 1830 I was looking at the sun setting and saw "clouds" in the sky", but I'm like hmmm that looks like smoke but there's no way that it could be.. guess I was wrong, especially since this has been one heck of a Brush Season for everyone. I found out at work from a co-worker about the Brush Fire at like 2230. Well I hope they can get a stop on this fire soon. If anyone is going with their Dept./from their Dept that was requested to assist Ulster Cty I wish you guys/gals a Safe Time out theren and the ones that are already there too. Stay Safe Guys and Best of Luck on trying to put a stop to this wildland fire! Stay hydrated and keep drinking lots of fluids and take breaks as often as they are necessary to keep you all safe.

Is this fire still going?

Is this fire still going?

Sounds like it is... Couple of the guys including myself are actually on our way up in alil bit... Should be interesting to see when we get up there...

Here are some pics of the smoke as of 2ish yeserday afternoon when we were getting ready to go racing..... These are from about 2-4 miles from the fire. We(woodstock, ulster county) sent a crew this morning and we are a good 45 Mins. + away from the fire. Also been listening to the scanner up here and the fire is starting to get close to some homes. Last one they called for was active fire 150 yard away.

0418081358.jpg

0418081351a.jpg

boys left this morning from MFD here in westchester. To all of those fighting this fire stay safe and to all of those going to to give assistance the same.

How many counties have sent mutual aid to this fire? Have any Westchester Departments been called in? Whats being done for backfill for all departments being called in to the scene?

WOW, Ya'll be safe out there, hope its out soon

For that matter, wasn't there a large fire in, I believe Georgia, a few year back whose smoke and smell reached this far north?

There was one in Virginia in 1987, where the smoke reached up here. I remember it being very warm and cloudy that day. It was sometime in either November or December of 1987.

The NYS incident management team is also sending command staff personnel to assist Ulster County officials.

Does anyone know if the State Police or other agencies are doing bambi-bucket operations?

I am talking to our one guy thats on the scene protecting houses via cell phone and there are bambi buckets in service as well as belly dump choppers. The fire is moving towards several homes at this time and is 2000+ acres according to him.

Edited by Ach67-1A

This fire seems to be getting worse before getting better, is there an idea/estimate as to the amount of apparatus and manpower being called to the scene and to backfill? I read they called for a 12 hr shift today, are they going to look to make that a longer shift, or call in additional manpower to relieve those that will be there for 12 hrs. What are the plans since its apparently 2,000+ acres, if it does reach structures? Not only will they be dealing with the forest of a large magnitude, but they'll also be dealing with structure fires as well. Have they set up plans for if this does happen, and what additional mutual aid will be called if any if this does spread to structures?

im told Dutchess was also asked to send people over i herd the tones go out all last night but they were told that now that the state rangers are taken over that dept's. had to have yellow jump suits and foresty gear like the state rangers, if so they can go if not they will not send you, I think thats crap its a fire were all firefighters we should go no matter what to help out brother firefighters. my thought's

DANG, Kinda makes me wish i was out there LOL

im told Dutchess was also asked to send people over i herd the tones go out all last night but they were told that now that the state rangers are taken over that dept's. had to have yellow jump suits and foresty gear like the state rangers, if so they can go if not they will not send you, I think thats crap its a fire were all firefighters we should go no matter what to help out brother firefighters. my thought's

# 1 the stuff is light weight and provides better protection for the situation you are in, the land is by no means flat

# 2 wearing structural gear will quickly lead to exhaustion. No matter how much you think your stuff is light weight it is not.

Remember the saying, use the right tools for the job? It applies here.

I remember this was back in the Summer of 2002. It was only a few months after I joined my department, and we as well were going out left and right for the outside smoke investigations.