Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Texaco "Fire Chief" Gasoline

5 posts in this topic

Recently, I saw an antique Texaco gas pump, branded for Texaco's "Fire Chief" gasoline brand. I always knew that Texaco had this brand, but never inquired as to why it was branded that way.

I looked into it, and Wikipedia gave a good answer:

1932 - Texaco introduced Fire Chief gasoline nationwide, a motor fuel that met the octane requirements for fire engines, and promoted it through a radio program over NBC that was hosted by Ed Wynn the "Texaco Fire Chief."

http://www.nfo.net/graphics/NBCOrchEdWynnTexaco1.jpg

Pretty interesting!!

When I was very young someone gave me a metal sign that advertised Texaco Fire Chief Gasoline to hang on my wall, its been there ever since. I just never knew what was special about it. I assumed it was just a marketing ploy. Good find, thanks Seth.

Wow cool. Who knew that Texico would come up with something like that.

Evening all..

Texaco - adjacent to it's WHQ in Purchase used to also own the property west of Purchase St. known as "Star Farms" right where Kennilworth Rd hits it. The entrance for this property - which is now 7 or so really big homes is still there.

However, enter the WAY BACK machine with me, and travel back to 1983 or so, when Harrison VAC (Now Harrison EMS) was headquartered in 1 room oon the porperty of St. Vincent's Hospital on North St. It was very difficult to work and respond in that situation, (one driver hit a low overhang with the high mod box and brought about 800 lbs. of concrete down on the truck). After talking with Texaco, they agreed to allow us the use of one of the buildings on their property, while the current headquarters was built. The building was mostly unused, except for storage of supplies and furniture for they offices across the way. In the basement garage (actually a carriage house complete with horse stalls, to show you the age of the building) there was one very interesting item though... see - every Fire Chief needs an engine, and Texaco's chief was no exception - there was an early 60's (?) vintage ALF engine, painted up with Texaco logos in storage there. A real beaut too.

It was moved elsewhere before we actually took occupancy, and I have no idea if they still have it, but for those of us old enough, it would be no surprize that they had this as part of that long running campaign.

Edited by wcr20

"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star... The big bright Texaco Star". I remember back in the early 80's stumbling on that Texaco Rig at Star Farm. I think it was a late 40's La France, the hose bed had leather bench seats on either side in place of hose. It was covered with a tarp in the carrage house and it looked like it just came out of the factory.