Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Gary Remling, Belltown FD Online Condolence Card

29 posts in this topic

Gary Remling

Belltown FD - Career

Member Local 786, Retired

Served from 1968-2008 (Currently active volunteer at BFD)

Passed away suddenly today at the age of 53.

Very good friend of EMTBravo Mod jcopolla any many EMTBravo members.

RIP Gary. Thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, friends, and coworkers.

Sincere condolences to Firefighter Remling's family, friends, extended family and his brothers and sisters at Belltown FD. May God's Perpetual Light Shine upon him. And may God help those who suffer from the loss of FF Remling, get though this difficult time. Take comfort in the knowledge that he is in a better place now.

Rest In Peace Firefighter Remling. May all of your family and friends take comfort in knowing we are all here for them in any way we can be. My condolences to all the Bravo members affected by this tragic loss, whatever you need ask me.

Thanks for starting this online condolence card. As was said, Gary was a great, long time friend of mine. He was also a phenominal mentor to me and my younger brother, and lifetime friend of our father. He was one of those special people that in this life, you only meet a few of. He never had a bad word to say about anyone or anything. He was a very experienced, knowledgeable firefighter and apparatus operator. In all my years working with Gary, I never saw him lose composure at a fire or rescue call, no matter how severe. Besides my parents, nobody was more proud of my brother and me when we were appointed and promoted in our career jobs. Gary also had a love for cooking that was nothing short of passionate. Whenever there was a function, either a family one or an FD one, Gary was in the kitchen, cooking up his specialties for all to enjoy.

I have a million good memories with this person, but one that sticks out more than any one of them is the fact that no matter what, if you needed something, Gary was the first one to step up and get it done. He could not say no to anyone when there was a need, no matter how big or small and no matter what else he had going on. He ALWAYS put other's needs before his own.

I'll miss you Gary, Heaven is definintely a better place now that you are there!

RIP Gary. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Edited by YoFireBuff

Rest in peace.

"Mr. Big" As the "Captain" would call you, Were gonna miss you SO much none of us can belive this happened to you 2 month's after retiring from the "job". Gary only you would have retired from the job and then began a new career as a "Professional Volunteer" just to make sure the rig would get out the door now that Belltown is the one and only volunteer firehouse in the city I gues you can retire from the job but you can't take the job from your blood it still runs thru your veins. Guy's that are career and volunteer in our city may not be familar with the historical value of the Remling and Morris roots steep in tradition in the belltown firehouse. Not to many of us can hold such a high level of respect as your father had.

Thank you for all those rides in the Tower Ladder. Thank you for all the times we ordered Chinese food you paid for it evertime and wouldn't take no for an answer. Thank you for countless times behind the grill at every function of the firehouse. I know i came in as a "Glenbrook Guy" but I look back at the 4 years as a volunteer with Belltown before getting on the job and I can say now thank you for all that GREAT PRIDE you displayed in doing your job. I'm gonna miss when you would say "this is freaking great"

Gary I hope you throw out the 1st pitch in the new Yankee stadium you are one of the biggest fans out there. Now you can enjoy your new career as a Fireman's Mentor in heaven ...Your the right guy for the job thats for sure.

Keep all of us safe Gary.

"Mr. Big" As the "Captain" would call you, Were gonna miss you SO much none of us can belive this happened to you 2 month's after retiring from the "job". Gary only you would have retired from the job and then began a new career as a "Professional Volunteer" just to make sure the rig would get out the door now that Belltown is the one and only volunteer firehouse in the city I gues you can retire from the job but you can't take the job from your blood it still runs thru your veins. Guy's that are career and volunteer in our city may not be familar with the historical value of the Remling and Morris roots steep in tradition in the belltown firehouse. Not to many of us can hold such a high level of respect as your father had.

Thank you for all those rides in the Tower Ladder. Thank you for all the times we ordered Chinese food you paid for it evertime and wouldn't take no for an answer. Thank you for countless times behind the grill at every function of the firehouse. I know i came in as a "Glenbrook Guy" but I look back at the 4 years as a volunteer with Belltown before getting on the job and I can say now thank you for all that GREAT PRIDE you displayed in doing your job. I'm gonna miss when you would say "this is freaking great"

Gary I hope you throw out the 1st pitch in the new Yankee stadium you are one of the biggest fans out there. Now you can enjoy your new career as a Fireman's Mentor in heaven ...Your the right guy for the job thats for sure.

Keep all of us safe Gary.

Mark,

Wonderful tribute. Couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Gary,

It was a privilege to learn from you, and an honor to serve with you.

You are a gentleman in every sense of the world, and personify what it means to be truly dedicated to something.

You will be missed.

Gary was truly the pride of Belltown. I always saw a smile on his face and a big hello any time I walked through those doors. Rest in peace friend.

David McCabe

PARTNER!!!! I'm going to miss saying that or hearing that from you.

Gary was the best partner anyone could have asked for. There wasn’t a mean bone in his body. He always had two diet cokes and friendly conversation for a lonely old man that would frequent the station, and he reminded me that help was always only a phone call away if I ever needed it. Like Joe said, Gary was one of those special people in life that you only meet a few of.

I’m really going to miss you Gary. You were taken away from us too soon. I still have the card you sent me a few months ago on my refrigerator and I will ALWAYS cherish the kind words you wrote.

It was an honor serving alongside you Gary.

137/139 Group 1

Mike Orawsky

Rest in Peace brother! The fire service truly lost a gem, our loss, Heaven's gain. My condolences to the family, may you find peace after your loss.

RIP Gary.

Wake and Funeral Arrangements:

Wake on Tuesday April 29, 2008 9:00am to 10:30am at Cognetta's Funeral Home, 104 Myrtle Ave, Stamford CT.

Funeral Mass on Tuesday April 29, 2008 11:30am at St. Bridgette of Ireland Roman Catholic Church, 278 Strawberry Hill Ave, Stamford CT.

Rest In Peace FF Remling

This has truly come as to tremendous shock to all that have known Gary for the many years that he truly and passionately served the residence of the Belltown fire district.

At turn of river, group 1 always felt at ease when Gary was on his way with his boys to lend us a helping hand. When Gary retired from his "paid driver" position, only a couple of months ago - we knew that we would only see more of Gary- just in a slightly different capacity. All of us who truly knew Gary - understood how passionate his love for the Belltown fire dept. Was.

Gary - we all know that you will continue to watch over all of us. Now it's our turn to lend mutual aid - and watch over Nicole, Joanne & mom. Rest in peace my friend. You are truly a great guy and be remembered by us all.

Michael Reyen

Edited by moosecfd368
All Caps, Spelling

Gary as many of the brothers have said so nicely you were one of the true greats the fire service has ever known. You instilled in me the importance of company pride and having a true love for what you do. A true senior man who was always the first to step up and set the example for us to follow. Thanks for taking me and the boys in when you did, we will never forget all the things you did for us and our careers. Rest In Peace now my Brother and know your memory will always hold a special place in my heart.

I wish to express my deepest sympathy to the Remling family and all the members of Belltown Fire Dept. on the passing of Gary.

Rest in Peace Brother.

Sean Daly

As the days go on, and I am anticipating saying my final goodbyes to my true friend and mentor, many fond memories and great times had with him come to mind. Some of my earliest childhood memories with Gary include me providing him an over-abundance of fire truck sketches, mostly of the Belltown fleet, which he happily accepted and added to his collection, staying up late for BFD 50th anniversary planning parties with my dad and other BFD guys at our house, serving as an altar boy for his wedding at St. Bridget's Church, seeing how proud and happy he was when Nicole was born and how he doted over her til his last days with us, 4th of July parties when Gary explained away our fireworks display to local law-enforcement officials who did not think the display was as entertaining as he did, BFD picnics, year after year, with Gary in charge of all things culinary, and being the very last man to leave the FD when all the clean-up was done, clambakes, annual banquets where this writer shared in libations with Gary and crew at a suspect age, then having Gary explain my condition to my father so the punishment would be a little easier on me, recieving my first car (the infamous 1971, light blue Monte Carlo with the vinly top) from Gary without one red cent being exchanged, packing the BFD chock full on nights when Gary was working so we could pick up some pointers on how to be as good a fireman as he, rolling up to a good fire on New Year's day in the early 90's and him telling me that I was going to be good at this stuff, letting me take the "good" fires when we worked days together because he truly wanted me to get the experience, the BFD Christmas parties, the Communion Breakfasts, the St. Patrick's day celebrations, Gary was always there, first one in an last one out - ALWAYS.

I firmly believe that Belltown Fire Department is an organization steep in rich tradition today because of the influence Gary Remling had on the place in his decades of service to it. Simply put, he was the person who taught me and all my buddies at the BFD that we do the job of firefighter not for the pay, but for the rewards we get helping others (and driving shiny white Macks).

I promise to contribute to the effort to never forget what Gary did for all of us, and I am very proud of all of my good friends from Belltown who took the time to share a quick story or anecdote about Gary so everyone in the service can know how great he was and how important he will always be to us!

JVC

I didn't know this man, but from the stories that have been posted, it sounds like this is what the true definition of PRIDE in life is all about. I feel a sense of grief reading this and never met this fine gentleman. May he watch over the men of Belltown as he has and may we all watch over his family now that he is gone.

Rest in peace.........

I dont know where to begin nor do I know where to end, there were many many great times with Gary. He was the one individual you could go to and rely on. J.Coppola said it best he was truly one of the best Belltown had, and now taken so soon from us. He is in an even better place, now to watch over us. Gary in my years at Belltown it was great to work along side you and learn the different methods you were truly a dedicated firefighter and, a dedicated husband and father to your wife and daughter, you will truly be missed, but know a part of you will remain in all our hearts. R.I.P. 137

You sound like someone that I would liked to have met. rest in peace

As an addition to my original post, I feel need to say that, although I never had the honor of knowing Gary personally, I feel a profound loss in knowing that such a great man and tremendous asset to Belltown and the Fire Servce in general, has een taken from us so soon.

RIP

God Speed Rest in Peace