Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Trooper faces termination for getting shot

29 posts in this topic

I'll concede that there are plenty of opportunities for abuse of the disability system but this case is certainly not one of them. This trooper volunteered for a special duty assignment on a tactical team and this is the thanks he gets. Disgusting!

Link to article:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008804270353

Wounded trooper fights disability system

John Ferro

Poughkeepsie Journal

MILAN, N.Y.

When a high-powered rifle round ripped through state Trooper Rich Mattson's left arm one year ago, many things went through his mind.

Losing his job wasn't one of them.

But that is exactly what could happen to Mattson now that an assailant's bullet has left him unable to meet the physical requirements of being a state trooper.

What irks Mattson, and his union, is that nearly every other police officer in the state receives as much time as he or she needs to recover from an injury. State police get 18 months, with a chance to appeal for a six-month extension.

WOW. That a highly trained, motivated officer -one of the state's best - can be injured while conducting one of the most hazardous operations an officer would ever face is effectively told by the Governor (at his pleasure), "Oh, thanks yadda yadda service to the state blah blah honor and something... now just go away and work the door at Wal-mart or something."

One would assume that ANY person that is expected to face death or grevious injury for "the state" or "the people" and IS injured in the discharge of those duties, with no expectation of being able to return to their career or a similar one, would have support and the opportunity to continue to serve if able in some other capacity. But hey, he works for the governor... so just keep speeding him through traffic above the speed limit, keep the trips to meet hookers hush-hush, and don't look to close at the money changing hands... oh, and prepare to DIE for him...

Nice. I think I'll stick to a career of handling turd water and toxic waste. At least it won't disresepect me like a governor does.

I can see the argument against unlimited sick leave. I don't agree with it, but at least those opposing it have a defendable point. To not offer a light duty position is just stupid. Either way you're paying for a trooper to do the work. This is the kind of crap that makes you want to give up and move out into the woods.

Thats redic. They should just give him a desk job or something.

I had the privilege of meeting Trooper Mattson a couple a weeks ago and he is one of the most stand-up guys that I have ever met. This is a disgrace and what bugs me even more is that the rag of reporting the JN stuck this obscure little article on page 6. This should have been a headline story!

The only way that Trooper Mattson has a chance of fighting this is through legislation. I could not think of another situation that deserves special dispensation more than this one. I urge everyone on this forum to write their State Senators and Assemblymen to make sure that Trooper Mattson can stay on the job. This is what he loved to do and being injured while performing his duties as heroically as he did should NOT end up having him work as a Wal-Mart greeter.

It's CRAZY not to offer him a light duty position or give him extended time to recover! All he did was to show up for work and do his job which then cost him a severe injury. If the State Police and the State legislators do not try to change their position on Tropper Mattson's case what message are they sending to their officers? He was sworn to protect the people of this state and our laws but who is PROTECTING HIM and his JOB now that he is injured? I hope their policy changes.

The only way that Trooper Mattson has a chance of fighting this is through legislation. I could not think of another situation that deserves special dispensation more than this one. I urge everyone on this forum to write their State Senators and Assemblymen to make sure that Trooper Mattson can stay on the job. This is what he loved to do and being injured while performing his duties as heroically as he did should NOT end up having him work as a Wal-Mart greeter.

I agree. I just e-mailed the Governor and my Assemblyman regarding this matter - I hope it helps. He got injured trying to protect all of us, now it's our turn to help him and all NYS Troopers who could get in this situation down the road.

Edited by emt301

Killers, rapist and cop shooters can't be put to death, but officer shot in the line of duty are put on the unemployment lines.

REAL GOOD GOVERNMENT WE GOT!

Go get another _ _ Mr. Governor!

I can see the argument against unlimited sick leave. I don't agree with it, but at least those opposing it have a defendable point. To not offer a light duty position is just stupid. Either way you're paying for a trooper to do the work. This is the kind of crap that makes you want to give up and move out into the woods.

This isn't sick leave. This is an injury which in most police/fire retirement systems is not the same as sick time. Unfortunately for the troopers that apparently doesn't apply to them!

I feel badly for this Trooper. Also makes me wonder if there are any other state level jobs in NY that could abandon employees this way.

I'm sure this all happened because the governor couldn't see the paperwork...

I don't know what union is involved, but EVERY union NATIONWIDE needs to hit the pavement in conjnction with the mass media to petition the governor for a redress of this grievance. Assuming that we've got an acurate idea of the situation from our available sources, it sounds like the state's being unreasonable.

If the people at large make a big stink about it, then he'll keep his job and likely get a promotion and a metal. We can fix this folks! Anybody have the governor's home address?

There's no realistic reason he can't work a light duty job like a dispatch desk or some kind of special unit that puts him a significantly lower risk of needing to make a confrontation physical involvement in police work. I bet he can still drive the $h!t out of that crown-vic with his good hand... :P

:rolleyes:

Or this, from the very same article....

There are signs the mood might be changing. Gov. David Paterson met privately with Mattson and his wife Alicia this month. Spokeswoman Jennifer Givner confirmed the visit, but offered no other comment.

The Mattsons said Paterson seemed sympathetic and concerned. "What I took from it is he felt for Rich," Alicia Mattson said. "He felt for everything that had happened."

You really need to read the whole article before you blast anyone...ABSOLUTELY - it's a sucky deal compared to other jobs - in fact - it may deter canidates from becoming Troopers over a town/village/City cop..

This quote sums up the Trooper's true colors;

Mattson doubts he will ever be able to serve in the state police again. His injuries will make it impossible for him to do his previous job, and there are no light duty assignments.

And that's fine with Mattson.

"I don't want to be that guy that comes back just to say 'I am a cop' and sit in a back room," he said.

His goal, he said, is to help change the system, "to help whoever the next (trooper) is down the line."

Brother bleeds Gray and Purple for sure.

There's no realistic reason he can't work a light duty job like a dispatch desk..........

Dispatch desks are for trained dispatchers.

Thanks I need that laugh.

If your hurt in the line of duty and forced to retire due to the complications of the injury, can you not collect disability? Or is it all together different with the NYSP?

if he does loose his job isn't it considered wrongful termination??

if he does loose his job isn't it considered wrongful termination??

In the article;

His other option: retire with a disability benefit

Insensitive and inappropriate comment.

Very sad news!

They should do the right thing for this Trooper.

Unfortunately, the New York State Police do NOT have a "light duty" or "desk job"

position for Troopers. You can be assigned to Dispatch or Desk but MUST always

be ready for duty as a Trooper.

It's my understanding your have to be 100% fit for duty 24/7.

Some local PD's do allow "light duty" but NOT the New York State Police.

Maybe any Troopers on here can add/correct me?

I know Rich personally. He is always training hard and running at the gym.He is a true gentleman. He always says hi and has a positive outlook. It's a shame that he won't be able to return to full duty and perform the job he loves. I don't think Rich would take the desk job even if it was available.

post-4288-1209340280.gif

To reply to some of the odd comments here, yes he does have the option of going out on 3/4's and never working again. HE DOES NOT WANT THIS OPTION. As for the poster who stated that dispatch duties are for trained dispatchers only.... I think that this trooper would be able to fill that position with a significant amount of ability. I don't know exactly what you were implying but please.... don't put yourself on that high a pedestal. (That is not an attack on dispatchers both simply a statement that a veteran trooper could handle that job!!).

Here is what it comes down to... HE HAS THE OPTION OF GOING OUT ON DISABILITY BUT HE DOSEN'T WANT THAT! That is a rarity in the PD world and we all should respect and appreciate that. Support our brother through this fight. It is what he wants and I hope he gets it.

To reply to some of the odd comments here, yes he does have the option of going out on 3/4's and never working again. HE DOES NOT WANT THIS OPTION. As for the poster who stated that dispatch duties are for trained dispatchers only.... I think that this trooper would be able to fill that position with a significant amount of ability. I don't know exactly what you were implying but please.... don't put yourself on that high a pedestal. (That is not an attack on dispatchers both simply a statement that a veteran trooper could handle that job!!).

Here is what it comes down to... HE HAS THE OPTION OF GOING OUT ON DISABILITY BUT HE DOSEN'T WANT THAT! That is a rarity in the PD world and we all should respect and appreciate that. Support our brother through this fight. It is what he wants and I hope he gets it.

When something is followed by this mark "?", its usualy means a question is being asked. I did not offer an opinion to what he should do. I asked if there was disability and if it was different alltogether with the New York State Police. I havent seen one person in this post be non-supportive of this officer so I dont understand why YOU are getting all bent out of shape.

This is ridiculous!!!! 1, he put his life on the line to do what he was trained to do, protect the public! I know exactly where the house was in Arkville / Margretville line. The guy wanted to make a difference now the state says "tough luck!" Unreal and I though CT was messed up!

The state is not saying tough luck and kicking him out to the curb. He still gets his disability pension. They just don't have a position for him in his limited capacity. I just don't get why its an issue making a reasonable accommodations position available. Here we have a guy who isn't ready to leave yet and wants to get back on the job. Hell, who would be better to have at the academy in some position training new recruits. Either way you're paying for a trooper to do the job, so why not pay him.

The state is not saying tough luck and kicking him out to the curb. He still gets his disability pension. They just don't have a position for him in his limited capacity. I just don't get why its an issue making a reasonable accommodations position available. Here we have a guy who isn't ready to leave yet and wants to get back on the job. Hell, who would be better to have at the academy in some position training new recruits. Either way you're paying for a trooper to do the job, so why not pay him.

I'm not blaming the state, first of NY, I'm pointing my reaction towards the NYSP brass. Sorry about the misunderstanding I should have been more clear. I agree totally with you, NYSP should have a policy in place for line of duty injuries if a trooper can't meet the physical requirements for "street" duty. The academy, that would be a great position!!! Talk about a mentor that will have an impression on new recruits.

I feel that the politicians in NY won't shrug this off at all and hopefully there will be some changes made not only for this trooper but for all of them in the future. last year was one trying year for the NYSP.

When something is followed by this mark "?", its usualy means a question is being asked. I did not offer an opinion to what he should do. I asked if there was disability and if it was different alltogether with the New York State Police. I havent seen one person in this post be non-supportive of this officer so I dont understand why YOU are getting all bent out of shape.

This is an emotional subject for officers who can face the exact same type of treatment. The frustration comes from the fact that a disability pension is less than full-pay, limits your employment options for the rest of your life, and is not the desired conclusion of a career in law enforcement.

This is an otherwise healthy, relatively young, trooper who doesn't want to retire with a disability pension but rather return to work. The State Police have no option for him other than full-duty and they require that within 18 months (two years if granted an extension). Every other PD that I'm aware of has some sort of assignment that an officer can perform until he or she is back up to 100%.

Who's to say that with another year of surgeries and therapy he wouldn't be 100%? That's yet another source of frustration.

The Academy idea is a great one but the current regulations don't permit it.

As for the above response, imagine how you'd feel if this were a firefighter and you related closely to his plight. No need to take the response personally it's more indiciative of the frustration with the situation. ;)

This is B.S. that he is being treated this way. I understand the need for professionalism and, to some extent (no offense to the officers on the road in local towns, colleges, deputy sheriffs, etc.) elitism, but, I would think he would deserve reasonable accommodations. Does ADA not apply to Law Enforcement? This is definitely messed up. If Governor Paterson wants lasting change, he should assent to the law allowing NYSP the same disability benefits mentioned earlier in the thread.

In the meantime, here's hoping that Trooper Mattison can come back in some way to NYSP/stay in Law Enforcement.

-Joe DA BUFF

In the article;

what if he doesn't take the option?

what if he doesn't take the option?

I presume that you mean the retirement disability option. If he doesn't meet the requirements for full-duty as specified by the Division of State Police after 24 months he will be terminated.