Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Volunteer Firefighters Getting Burned By Gas Prices

38 posts in this topic

This is an interesting problem, I am from Australia and we are up to about $7 a gallon, costs me nearly $90 to fill my car up, standard 6 cylinder job,. to be honest, after 15 years I have never thought twice about and the topic has never come up in relation to fire calls, usually people b**** about missing the rig !!

I don't have an issue, I need fuel anyway, so I make a few trips to the station, hey, I even pay the emergency services levy, so really I pay to provide the service I provide, thankfully I also do it for a living, but I still don't complain, can't say we lost any people, and in fact, we have a waiting list of members wanting to join.

I guess you just have to weigh up what you personally want to do, no one on here can tell you what to do.

Some tax credits would be nice though :D

How many people have stopped going to "nusiance calls" because of gas prices?

Extinguish controlled burns, persistant AFA's, minor MVA's, etc?

Hey Moose, how fast do you have to pedal to get the light rotating??? :P

Well...I had to go pretty fast to generate the juice needed to get the light to go and ended up passing out half way there and didnt make the call, so now I have a candle in a blue dome! :lol:

hummm lets see.....i go on about 25 calls a month... 250 bucks in gas....where do i sign up!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah brother, but than you use the 250 bucks in gas to get to the calls, meetings and drills!!! :rolleyes:

Thats not a bad thing though, those $10 gas cards, I would try and figure something else out though instead of one for every call you attend. I would figure on one for every 5 calls, or one for every 2 calls and a drill you attend, something to cut back on the overall expense for the squad cause ours does an average of 700 calls a year and we have members that make about 90% of those calls...could you imagine the costs in that!?!? ;)

If your a volly there is an expense that comes with doing it. I don't care about what i get back from it I don't even care about the whole service rewards thing. All i know is i enjoy doing it i love the guys a my firehouse there like a 2nd family and thats that. We do it to help, we do it for the brothership. I'm not going to stop going to calls or drills or meeting because gas is a little expensive. I even forget to mark myself down on the meeting forms and drill forms. I don't care what is it one more point for me.

Honestly right now i am unemployed, looking for a new job, My response hasn't change one bit other then me responding to more daytime calls.

Get over it theres nothing we can do. If you enjoy being A VOLLY SO MUCH THEN JUST SUCK IT UP! think about the little things that you benifit from at the firehouse. and don't tell me you don't(partys, friendships, events throughout the year)

just my 2cents

Here's a new spin on an old story. Guess there's some merit to it, but I wonder how much more they're spending in gas this year compared to last? Yeah, they're probably spending a lot but the incremental difference isn't that big - although maybe it's enough to push it over the top.

http://www.wwnytv.net/index.php/2008/04/29...-by-gas-prices/

And I thought filling a tank at $50 was a lot - what do they drive up there that it costs $130 to fill up - a tank :lol: and at $3.729 .....

Price is up on water, maybe we should stop washing our cars in the firehouse!

If your a volly there is an expense that comes with doing it. I don't care about what i get back from it I don't even care about the whole service rewards thing. All i know is i enjoy doing it i love the guys a my firehouse there like a 2nd family and thats that. We do it to help, we do it for the brothership. I'm not going to stop going to calls or drills or meeting because gas is a little expensive. I even forget to mark myself down on the meeting forms and drill forms. I don't care what is it one more point for me.

Honestly right now i am unemployed, looking for a new job, My response hasn't change one bit other then me responding to more daytime calls.

Get over it theres nothing we can do. If you enjoy being A VOLLY SO MUCH THEN JUST SUCK IT UP! think about the little things that you benifit from at the firehouse. and don't tell me you don't(partys, friendships, events throughout the year)

just my 2cents

Hats off to you! Way I see it is when I hit retirement the government will have done away with social security and any other program that will help me. But I volunteer now, have a good time, learn alot and have it pay off in the long run should I still have a heartbeat. So I'll mark every point and take adavantage of every tax break I can. Cause while you say its about brotherhood, I dont think 95% of them will be around to help me in 30 years.

Price is up on water, maybe we should stop washing our cars in the firehouse!

Then where would everyone hang out?

Then where would everyone hang out?

In front of the Quick Stop

post-917-1209746912.jpg