Units Operating:

OFD: 2332 E97 E101 E100 R14

BMFD R37 53B2

OVAC 74A1 36M1

CEMS 55B2

Ossining Twn PD

Description Of Incident: Serious MVA w/ pin

Writer:x648eng119

And yet again, another reason for the State of NY DOT to take action at this intersection. A turn arrow would be the best possible solution. There is hardly any visibility when travelling south and you come over the hump to this intersection and some a$$hole turns left in front of you. And the same result but different reasons when you are travelling north and some a$$hole can't figure out how far away you are and they turn in front of you. The other 2 lighted intersections on this stretch of highway have turn signals that are set up using a "magnet" trip sensor. When a car triggers the magnet built into the ground it sets off another trigger in the "switching" box that turns the arrow function on and changes the traffic pattern intermittently to allow for safe turning to occur, reducing the risk of loss of life and limb. One of our Lt's. died about a week after he broad sided some broad in the intersection 3 years ago. He died of heart problems. Not that it was ever connected to the accident, however a long time smoker who was generally in decent health, in shape, and very active collapsed while supervising the radio room. When they opened his chest they found that there was a tear in his aorta. In the accident at this location, he was wearing a seatbelt and his airbag did deploy obviously generating enough force to cause this type of event to occur. Although they could have been unrelated, I think one caused the other or didn't help at least!

Yo, DOT, get your act together!

Another bad intersection on 9a where there needs to be a traffic light is 9a and Stormytown Rd I have a friend who lives off that exit and I feel like I am goin to die coming Northbound and making a left onto Stormytown. What will it take for them to wake up and do something about it.

Another bad intersection on 9a where there needs to be a traffic light is 9a and Stormytown Rd I have a friend who lives off that exit and I feel like I am goin to die coming Northbound and making a left onto Stormytown. What will it take for them to wake up and do something about it.

When enough people get killed there then DOT will do something about it. Unfortunately that seems to be what it takes to get things done.

Sorry, can you refresh my memory on Stormytown Rd. Is that the one 2 streets north of 134? If so, they should fill in the barrier there!

This won't fix what happened the other day, the van went across against the blinking red light and got T-Boned.

Back to today: the light at 134 needs a left turn arrow for North / South traffic, with a red arrow, like the ones at North State Rd and at Chappaqua Rd.

No left turn unless you have a green arrow.

Making a left onto Stormytown Rd heading north is whole 'nother story. It is the second road north of 134.

They really should block that left turn (icon_greenA.png) OFF!

post-128-1209601519.jpg

Sorry, can you refresh my memory on Stormytown Rd. Is that the one 2 streets north of 134? If so, they should fill in the barrier there!

Yeah, that's the one. Hawkes Avenue overpass is directly North of Rt.134, then Stormytown Road. Northbound Rt.9A can turn West onto Stormytown Road, but Stormytown Road Eastbound cannot turn Northbound onto Rt.9A.

Edited by SteveOFD

Hey Jack, you could have at least quoted me, that was plagerism! LOL

Anybody DOT? Anybody?

Anybody with political pull? Anybody?

Don't you know by now, unless thier is 10 fatalities a year at that intersection the DOT will not act (at least for 20 years). So you can have 200 serious pin's a year and they don't care

There are many dangerous intersections and turnoffs off of 9A. You guys got most of them south of Croton. From Croton to the circle people tend to speed well above the posted limit. Then they come to the circle and comtinue north with no barriers between north and south. Jack Road is the side road. Cars going north come over a hump in the ropad and next thing cars are stopped to go left and theres no place for a car or truck to stop when going 60. Continue up and there still are no barriers and there have been many collisions near South Mountian Pass, Winston Lane, Tavers Cornors and so on. Just travel and look at the spots where people have left floral pieces for loved ones who died there. It's an antiquated road that cannot handle the speed, traffic volumn and the large trucks.

There are a ton of spots on 9 and 9A that need to be taken care of. For example, in Montrose about 1 mile north of the Welcher Ave. exit (where you can see Cortlandt train station) needs to have something taken care of. Had many bad accidents there and some that could have been a lot worse then they actually were. That intersection at 9A and 134 is also a bad spot. Even when you are in an emergency vehicle. I know when I have to go to the Med Center I go about 30 mph when I hit that area with a green light. Just because people think they have to get ahead of an ambulance, fire truck, police car or what ever the case maybe. I have had too many close calls at that area I really hope that DOT really does a traffic study at that intersection and all other parts of 9and 9A.

I go through this intersection everyday for work with the sanitation department. It seems they really need to put a red arrow for no left turn in both directions when the light is green going north and south. Unfortunatly there is none so people try to judge and make the left before traffic reaches them, and then guess what SMACKOOO. Happens all the time. It's been like that for year's. But you guys are right many many people will get killed before they change it.

Edited by ccbub31

390, that section in Montrose is really not that bad...especially when comparing it to and active 4 lane by 2 lane intersection where traffic crosses. Those accidents that occur in Montrose along Rte 9 are usually 1 car that was traveling way to fast for their own good, cause they weren't that good a driver to begin with.

As for Jack Rd and such, different stretch of highway, completely different traffic routine. Most accidents there are caused by persons lack of paying attention and crossing the double yellow line. Although when they occur they are usually bad, the frequency is not anything more than average. Remember the days of South of the Bird and Bottle, at least 2 nights a week? Those were always horrific!

9A & 134 is by far the most dangerous intersection that I know of in Westchester County. This is based on volume + idiocy + fatality / 2...(the math is a joke, the situation is not!)

One of my favorites is the 9A SB on ramp off of 117 that most drivers apparantly can't read the yield sign. Its like coming down a launch ramp down the hill and they just keep going right into the left lane, I don't think there is a lot of accidents there but mostly by pure luck. Why not make it a stop sign?

One of my favorites is the 9A SB on ramp off of 117 that most drivers apparantly can't read the yield sign. Its like coming down a launch ramp down the hill and they just keep going right into the left lane, I don't think there is a lot of accidents there but mostly by pure luck. Why not make it a stop sign?

They ignore the yield sign - and the oncoming traffic that they cut off! What makes you think they'll actually stop for a stop sign? They'll just blast through that too, unless there's a cop sitting there and how often does that happen?

There should be a panel there at that yield sign, if it detects you coming down and not preparing to yield it will launch you into the weeds!

There should be a panel there at that yield sign, if it detects you coming down and not preparing to yield it will launch you into the weeds!

ROTFL... I can see it now.

Thanks, just as I was calming down from my 9a/134 rant you go and bring up this monstrosity of an idea! At least I don't have to deal with this anymore...now I jump on the TSP from 9A at the pretty new ramp, that they screwed up when pouring the concrete! Anyone else notice they had to patch the blacktop before the concrete already cause it wasn't level. That's what happens when you don't listen to the engineer and pour the exact amount, and not say...oh it looks like it needs a little more over here!

Inside info used for the part about the concrete!