Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

One Step Closer To My EMT-B Cert! Any Tips?

22 posts in this topic

So yesterday I passed my Final Exam with flying colors and it's now onto the Practical Exam (Sunday) and the State Written (Thursday). I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

The practical has me more nervous than the written. Any tips? Should I be that worried? Everyone tells me the practical isn't something to worry about and that the instructors are pretty easy and may drop a (hint) here or there. I like the fact that the instructors giving the exam are the same instructors that i've had all along so they all know us pretty well.

Anyone else taking the exam at Laguardia CC on Thursay?

So yesterday I passed my Final Exam with flying colors and it's now onto the Practical Exam (Sunday) and the State Written (Thursday). I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

The practical has me more nervous than the written. Any tips? Should I be that worried? Everyone tells me the practical isn't something to worry about and that the instructors are pretty easy and may drop a (hint) here or there. I like the fact that the instructors giving the exam are the same instructors that i've had all along so they all know us pretty well.

Anyone else taking the exam at Laguardia CC on Thursay?

1. Assume nothing.

2. Veribilze everything you are doing to the proctor.

3. Be sure to use the helper provided at each station.

Good Luck.. 15 yrs as an EMT and still learning on every call..

Best of Luck - I am sure you will do fine.

I agree, I hate taking the practical; have been an EMT for 18-years and still hate taking the practical! As was said previously, just be very verbal and go step by step according to the skill sheets.

I'm with you on the 'nervous' part for the practical. I passed mine yesterday, just waiting for the state written on thursday(WCC not Laguardia CC) . Only thing i can say in regards to the practical is know your ABC's and try to control your nerves. My nerves got the best of me and I almost forgot critical things. Good luck.

good luck but try to relax you will do just fine :rolleyes:

WEll I just passed my Practical Exam with no problem! Some others had to retake a few of the stations but not I :) I am very proud of myself!

I got the Blue card and am 100% ready for the written on Thursday. If i've gotten this far with no issues I think i'll be fine!

Congratulations WILLDOGS! Good luck with your Written, be careful not to focus too much on certain things, try to study a little bit of everything, and you should do fine.

Don't over think on any of the stations. Do everything in order as you've been taught and you'll do fine. Just go with scene saftey, BSI, and the ABC's and go down the list. Thats all. No problem. Good luck!

Every call begins with universal precautions and scene safety. Verbalize that at each station and like was said, assume nothing. Every call also begins with ABCs and pertinent medical history. Get that and go from there. Everything will fall into place for you. Best of luck.

JVC

WEll I just passed my Practical Exam with no problem! Some others had to retake a few of the stations but not I :) I am very proud of myself!

I got the Blue card and am 100% ready for the written on Thursday. If i've gotten this far with no issues I think i'll be fine!

The practical was the hard part....

If you took good notes throughout the class take a few hours and study your notes and only your notes .

if you werent a good note taker make some index/flashcards and have a Q/A session with a friend or classmate .

IN EITHER CASE GOOD LUCK BRUTHA......

Congrats and good luck on the written I'm sure you will do fine. Keep us updated!

I took the exam at Laguardia CC in March. Just so you know what to expect: the test was given in an auditorium with little fold out desks. It was a little uncomfortable but it wasn't too bad. The on site grading is a bit slow as theres only one scantron reader and the amount of time the grading takes will depend on how many people are in front of you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Again All. Thanks OoO for the Laguardia update.

Side Question,

I have a buddy who tells me that he can help me get a per diem position with Empress as soon as I pass. For some side money. I figure why not?

Does anyone have any pro's or con's with empress? What is the starting EMT-B pay like? Any others I should look at?

Thanks!

Thanks Again All. Thanks OoO for the Laguardia update.

Side Question,

I have a buddy who tells me that he can help me get a per diem position with Empress as soon as I pass. For some side money. I figure why not?

Does anyone have any pro's or con's with empress? What is the starting EMT-B pay like? Any others I should look at?

Thanks!

It's union, so the pay for techs is alright - i think its somewhere in the 12 dollar range. Only thing is - and i don't know this definitively - they may stick with you doing transports for their transport division for 6 months b/c your fresh out of class. Don't work there but I've heard of that happening.

Fact is, you need to get at least a year under your belt before you can think of applying to the vast majority of agencies or hospitals. Commercials are usually pretty good at giving you lots of experience, they often cover various areas/regions, you run 911 and transports and you learn how to interact with different agencies - PD, FD, vollies etc. Every company has it's BS and politics so i guess whatever you feel is the best fit is the one you should work for.

Thanks for the Info Goose! I wouldn't mind starting with transports at all. I could gain some hands on experience before moving on to 911. I'd prefer it that way anyways.

Thanks for the Info Goose! I wouldn't mind starting with transports at all. I could gain some hands on experience before moving on to 911. I'd prefer it that way anyways.

No problem. Like i said, commercial agencies are easy to score a position at - ones that let you run 911 and transports is probably the best because it keeps you on your toes and hones all skills. Best of luck in the search.

Best of luck on your written. Just remember the most imporant part...the last day of classroom is where your learning stopped. The minute you step foot on the street your education begins!

When they tell you to start the test...before you open it...take a nice deep breath, hold it for a few seconds and exhale slowly...it will help calm you down. Be confident! You've gotten this far haven't you!?! And take your time, read the question carefully, many of the problems I see with students on those tests are they read into the question. If the answer isn't as clear as it should be...re-read the question and try to answer. If it still doesn't, skip it and come back to it. Just make sure you check your test to ensure you answered all the questions and that you didn't accidently put an answer under the wrong number.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I did it! I just got back from the test and scored an 86!!

I am now officially an EMT!

Thanks to all for your help!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I did it! I just got back from the test and scored an 86!!

I am now officially an EMT!

Thanks to all for your help!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YA SEE? ALL YA HAD TO D WAS STUDY, PRACTICE AND HAVE SOME CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF!!!!!

And now the wait (for me at least) begins. I didn't think the written was all that hard - I picked up an EMT review book and did all those, it seemed to help. Now, 4-6weeks I'll know what I got :angry: