Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Top this! Chief for 50 years.

17 posts in this topic

Moriah chief nears 50 years of fire service

By Fred Herbst - 2008-05-19 - fred@denpubs.com

Chief%20Ralph%20Jaquish%20copy.jpg

MORIAH — Ralph Jaquish is reputed to be the longest-serving fire chief in New York State.

“That’s what I’ve been told, but I really don’t know that,” the Moriah Fire Department chief said. “It doesn't really matter. I’m just glad I can still be of some service.”

Jaquish will mark 50 consecutive years as Moriah fire chief in 2009.

http://www.denpubs.com/html/ny/newspaper.php?id=11739

Thats cool and all but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Eventually you end up with group think...and thats never good...

....I wonder if there are any local (westchester) fire officials approaching their Diamond Anniversary?

There are a few Westchester Fire Chiefs with a lot of time under their belt as Chiefs of Department. It means that there are a few Fire Officers waiting i the wings for them to retire.

Edited by firecapt32

First, was this guy ever a firefighter? Seems like he joined than got elected Chief!!

Seriously, congrats on the years of service to him, he deserves it.

What a joke.

As always, there is one in every crowd. I think he meant to post "What an accomplishment"

Any people wonder why nothing is getting posted here anymore.

Edited by EJS1810

What a joke.

What is the joke?

What was his first oder " more coal for the steamer" :lol: 242many

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I don't think it is a joke either, maybe a bit more serious and to do with age and though process. However, congratulations are in order as long as it seems that no one attempted to ever over throw him, he must have been fair to say the least.

As always, there is one in every crowd. I think he meant to post "What an accomplishment"

ditto

ditto

So, what you're saying is that one person's opinion, although very blunt and unacceptable under this forums rules, reflects on the whole forum? Then, if I delete the comment, people cry about censorship. I can't win. This story was published online in a public website, and you're saying that no one posts anything here anymore because people give their input into something and you may not like or agree with it.

If nothing is getting posted here anymore, it's because some people are too incompetent, ignorant, or both to participate in a discussion without getting their feelings hurt, or worse yet, their egos bruised. Or, they want to hide their incompetence or whatever else they're not supposed to be doing- i.e. the people not sharing new delivery info, and the Chief's who have to keep everything top secret so the taxpayer's don't find out about their wild, outlandish spending and other misuse of goverment and taxpayer resources.

If you have a legitmate complaint about this forum or it's operation, then contact a moderator, instead of making a snide, off topic comment.

As far as this issue goes, seems like this is a really small town and he's volunteer. I believe Hartsdale (Westchester) has the longest serving career chief in NYS, if not the country.

If you don't post because someone else made their feelings none in 3 words..that's on you.

Congrats to his 50th year...I'm sure he's taken his amount of BS above and beyond.

Not to take nothing away from him either but this is a double edge sword...generational personalities change, equipment changes, training changes...a lot faster then most attitudes and understanding in the fire service. Perhaps that's what was said only in 3 words.

Not to take nothing away from him either but this is a double edge sword...generational personalities change, equipment changes, training changes...a lot faster then most attitudes and understanding in the fire service. Perhaps that's what was said only in 3 words.

And in his department, he obviously has adapted to the changes in the fire service in the last 50 years. If you read the entire article you will see he also served on the Town Board and his Assistant Chief is his son, who is also the Assistant Director of Emergency Services for Essex County. Granted it is "upstate" New York but I imagine they do pretty much the same things we do here, train, respond to calls, train, respond to calls, check our vehicles, go to meetings, train, respond to calls .....etc

I posted the link (that Igot from the Daily Dispatch) to highlight his accomplishment. Lets go witht hat and give him a few atta-boys.

Don't get so angry, seems like this hits a nerve for some of us more then others. This chief wants to do 50 years then my hats off to him. If things were bad the town or even county probably would have stepped in a long time ago.

It seems to me there were similar issues stated by memebers of this forum about a town in westchester with a chief that was older.

Congrats to the gentleman for 50 years as Chief. If that's how his department wants to do it then the more power to them. We all have our opinions as to what, if any, term limits should exist for chiefs. On another note, I'll bet he can tell some pretty good stries on hoe the fire service has changed over the years.

Hats off to him but you have to wonder why noone else wanted the position through the years if he wanted to step down.....