Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

Lake Carmel Working Structure Fire 5/25/2008

23 posts in this topic

Here are a few photos I took of the Towne Liquor Store Fire in Lake Carmel on May 25, 2008.

Link to the Incident Alert

I'll try to get more up s time permits.

""

The first photo I took as I was walking up to the cene

post-584-1211745224.jpg

post-584-1211745252.jpg

post-584-1211745285.jpg

post-584-1211745303.jpg

Great shots Chris! Looking foward to seeing some more. Looks like quite the battle!

Also, I don't know the size of the liqour store, but was any foam used? Also, was any containment done so that the potentially flammable runoff didn't go anywheres?

Nice Job Chris! If I'd known it was a commercial building, I would have buffed it!

Great shots Chris! Looking foward to seeing some more. Looks like quite the battle!

Also, I don't know the size of the liqour store, but was any foam used? Also, was any containment done so that the potentially flammable runoff didn't go anywheres?

Thanks, Seth. I did not seeanything done, unles it was to the rear of the buiding. No foam while I was there. It had to be 75 to 85 feet long, possibly a bit more, and I'm not sure of its deth butif I were to guesstimate, probably 30 feet or so.

post-584-1211774525.jpg

post-584-1211774565.jpg

post-584-1211774588.jpg

post-584-1211774623.jpg

Ah yes! ETOH i either burns out your brain or as evidenced burns the hell out of a structure :P

This was a fight right from the word go.... heavy fire load upon arrival. exposure problems to the rear of the structure... all dept.s worked great as a team last night ...... the most important ... NO one got hurt .. as far as the runoff there was a full basement and everything ended up there.... 6 ft or more of water the last time I looked ......

All right seth, we get it. You like foam. But this fire is well beyond the alcohol contained inside the structure. There's also an incredibly small chance for any flammable runoff. Most liquor (80 proof) needs to be heated to close to 100 degrees before it can sustain a flame. Lets say for the simplicity sake they had 1000 cases of 80 proof liquor in the basement which equals about 1200 gallons of ethanol. From the photos they could have been flowing at least 1400 gpm. In 10 minutes the flash point of that ethanol would be almost 200 degrees if none of it had burned off and climbing.

Trying to remember where this was, especially since I lived on Towners. Left hand side coming from 52, just past the old bike shop, just before Hill and Dale.

thats correct... it used too be a restaurant yrs ago..

All right seth, we get it. You like foam.

Although I am a strong advocate of CAFS, in this particular incident, I was actually just trying to learn, that's all. I vaguely remember reading a story about a large liquor store fire somewhere, and they used foam to knock the fire down, and it helped to keep it from spreading.

Also, I don't know if it was the same article, but I also remember the runoff getting into the sewer system and igniting, and they used high-expansion foam to suppress it. Another article I read, I remember the FD letting the building burn, with no exposure issues, so they didn't have to deal with the runoff.

One of the things I like, from the standpoint of a member, about this forum is I can learn from other member's experiences. I'm really interested in learning about foam recently and how often it is applied. Many departments spec foam on their engines, but rarely use it. I'm trying to figure out when and how often it is used, and why.

Although I am a strong advocate of CAFS, in this particular incident, I was actually just trying to learn, that's all. I vaguely remember reading a story about a large liquor store fire somewhere, and they used foam to knock the fire down, and it helped to keep it from spreading.

Also, I don't know if it was the same article, but I also remember the runoff getting into the sewer system and igniting, and they used high-expansion foam to suppress it. Another article I read, I remember the FD letting the building burn, with no exposure issues, so they didn't have to deal with the runoff.

One of the things I like, from the standpoint of a member, about this forum is I can learn from other member's experiences. I'm really interested in learning about foam recently and how often it is applied. Many departments spec foam on their engines, but rarely use it. I'm trying to figure out when and how often it is used, and why.

I was on South st. directly behind the scene i was on a street below the # 4 exposure side , the runoff from the fire Reaked of alcohol an hour or so into the incident

I was on South st. directly behind the scene i was on a street below the # 4 exposure side , the runoff from the fire Reaked of alcohol an hour or so into the incident

Hmm, Sounds like there might be some inebriated fish swimming around in the lake.

Trying to remember where this was, especially since I lived on Towners. Left hand side coming from 52, just past the old bike shop, just before Hill and Dale.

Maria Angela's.

I heard the job was a liquor store but did not know the extent of the fire due to poor reception otherwise I would have taken the 30 min. ride

Maria Angela's.

Thanx, got my memory refreshed by Itzy Bitzy a little while ago. That's the third big one I can remember up that way. First the Dance school, then Mitches, now this. I remember a bunch of us taking the wrong bus home from school so we could buff the Dance School. That was 87, 88??

I see now they are looking into this fire a little more closely. Seems there is more to the story then just a robbery and fire?

We should all be aware of any fires from now on.The economey headed into the tank nothing suprises me any more. I am sure there will be more homes and stores going up in all sorts of ways. this will be an active time for the C&O teams.

Becarefull out there dont get hurt because some one cant pay the mortage or the bills.

be safe-- be aware come home

Edited by firecapt32

nice photos who was there ??? Did anyone from Dutchess get brought in maybe Pawling on stand by?

nice photos who was there ??? Did anyone from Dutchess get brought in maybe Pawling on stand by?

East Fishkill went to Lake Carmel for standby. They were the only Dutchess County Department involved.