Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

Dutchess County Fishing Spots

19 posts in this topic

Looking for some input from my fellow Dutchess County peeps on some good lakes with decent public access for fishing in the Beekman, Union Vale, Dover, East Fishkill areas that I can bring my kids to. I'm a catch and release type guy so your fishing holes are safe with me. Mostly looking for Trout and Bass. Its tough to find good info on the area lakes and such and with Sylvan Lake being mostly private shore areas I need a few places that are closer then the NYC watersheds in Putnam.

On a side note, had some good luck with Croton Falls last week. Even though its drained I pulled a 10" largemouth. Anyone been at Amawalk or its outlet yet this year?

i mostly fish kensico and lake mahopac which have lately been junk. we used to keep the boat in Whaley Lake in pawling and that lake, although quite small, has amazing fishing. it has the usual sunfish, large/smallmouths, pickerel, yellow pearch and WHITE pearch. it the only place in our region i caught a white pearch. i hear amawalk is doing well, well enough my father wants to take the boat from kensico and put it there. unlike westchester, putnam and dutchess have some amazing stream fishing, try those out. just be careful of the restrictions DEP has on them...a lot of stream fishing prohibits live bait use. Good luck.

Great Trout fishing @ Amawalk outlet @ Wood street, Road is closed but you can walk down there. Great Fly & Spin fishing spot

Great Trout fishing @ Amawalk outlet @ Wood street, Road is closed but you can walk down there. Great Fly & Spin fishing spot

Frank - you gotta get me on a big bear this fall...I need one!

Frank - you gotta get me on a big bear this fall...I need one!

We will trade Turkey For Bear!

Thanks brothers.

Yeah I generally like to stream fish and have done so at Amawalk since my dad took me there as a kid. Haven't been there since before they had the pool drainage issue which killed off some of the fish, but figured the restocking they do every year would help that out anyway..just haven't had the time.

I was thinking of trying Whaley Lake..just didn't know if there was public access or not, being the watersheds are the easiest do to the public land easements that are on them. Kids don't last long for the 20 to 30 minute rides to get to them and they are too small for stream stuff.

Keep em coming, I appreciate it.

ALs have you tried Charlotte's grove in East Fishkill? I believe it's off Palen road used to be good fishing in that area

A couple of shot in the dark places is Lake Oniad in the Town of Wappinger. Myers Corns Rd, to Kent Rd to Lake Oniad Rd.... Although not sure whether its private property.

Second is Wappinger Lake in the village. it's accessible from Canale Park. The park is off 9D across from Delavergne Ave (just down the road from New Hamburg Sta 2, behind the gas station. Also, the section of Wap Creek, along Creek Rd, below the village is supposed to be good rec fishing for Brown Trout and Black Bass.

I'd also recommend looking at the trout stocking link of the DEC web site for Dutchess County. 2008 Dutchess Co Trout stock sched.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Thanks for the link on fish stocking...pretty cool!

Try Wilcox Park in the town of Milan. It is a county park with a couple of decent little lakes. There is also a nice playground and beach for the kids when they get tierd of fishing. You wont catch any trophies but you and the kids will have a great time. Just a couple minutes up the TSP to Rt 199.

If you go to the Milan area how about Lake TAconic(spelling? I know it's wrong but forgot how to spell it)

Looking for some input from my fellow Dutchess County peeps on some good lakes with decent public access for fishing in the Beekman, Union Vale, Dover, East Fishkill areas that I can bring my kids to. I'm a catch and release type guy so your fishing holes are safe with me. Mostly looking for Trout and Bass. Its tough to find good info on the area lakes and such and with Sylvan Lake being mostly private shore areas I need a few places that are closer then the NYC watersheds in Putnam.

On a side note, had some good luck with Croton Falls last week. Even though its drained I pulled a 10" largemouth. Anyone been at Amawalk or its outlet yet this year?

There's a large semi-deep stream in Beekman located on Beekman-Poughquag Rd where i see fisherman constantly fishing; probably find some good brook trout in there. The spot they normally go to is at the intersection of Recreation road.

The bridge on Robinson Lane the Wappingers Creek. Or on Robinson Lane is the Robinson Rec. Park. Fishing in the back. Need directions let me know.

Thomas

Bear someone say bear :o A buddy of mine is a Maine guide. Average is 150 to 200 lbs but sometimes you get a monster

Tommy

give me shout there is a nice spot over in Red Oaks Mill area. Also I found a nice place last week.

tommy -

did you try fahnstock (sp??) on 301? u have to rent a boat though................

Hey ALS if you stop by the fire house I can give you some good spots I take my kids to and there very kid friendly if not you should still have my cell call me

Tymor Park in Union Vale is an excellent place to go fishing with the kids.