Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Dutchess Tornado Warning

35 posts in this topic

NWS and DC-911 issue Tornado Warning for Dutchess County until 1830. A severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado will be in the area of Pleasant Valley/Dover/Amenia/Millerton

I thought "warning" meant one is actually HAPPENING? Geez....I wish the media-types would get their terminology straight! Second time today this has happened. First was in Sullivan Co. a few hours ago.

Regardless, stay safe, everyone!

I thought "warning" meant one is actually HAPPENING? Geez....I wish the media-types would get their terminology straight! Second time today this has happened. First was in Sullivan Co. a few hours ago.

Regardless, stay safe, everyone!

I believe warning means it is capable of happening now as opposed to a watch that means conditions are right for the weather type

According to NOAA:

What is a tornado watch? A tornado watch defines an area shaped like a parallelogram, where tornadoes and other kinds of severe weather are possible in the next several hours. It does not mean tornadoes are imminent -- just that you need to be alert, and to be prepared to go to safe shelter if tornadoes do happen or a warning is issued. This is the time to turn on local TV or radio, turn on and set the alarm switch on your weather radio, make sure you have ready access to safe shelter, and make your friends and family aware of the potential for tornadoes in the area.

What is a tornado warning? A tornado warning means that a tornado has been spotted, or that Doppler radar indicates a thunderstorm circulation which can spawn a tornado. When a tornado warning is issued for your town or county, take immediate safety precautions. local NWS offices issue tornado warnings.

Source: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Safety

Yeah, that's what I thought it was.....warning = funnel spotted. Oh well, I guess it depends on the source, sometimes, and the info they're given.

The Weather Channel isn't much better right now. According to the radar, I should be getting slammed right now. What I see out the window is a mere sprinkle compared to what I drove through in NJ Saturday night. Hmmmm..... :unsure:

Hopefully everyone else fares just as well.

View of Storm From Fairview Fire (Dutchess)

North East

post-3499-1213664981.jpg

Edited by FFD941

View to the East

post-3499-1213665242.jpg

Photo taken by Lad41der from West Point during tonights storm

post-3499-1213665716.jpg

post-3499-1213665716.jpg

That is a funnel cloud all right.

Is that toward Garrison, Cold Spring or north?

You should send that to the Weather Channel.. Great shot! Hope everyone is ok.

Edited by LT. 22

View of Storm From Fairview Fire (Dutchess)

North East

post-3499-1213664981.jpg

That looks like something you would see out West. I can only imagine what it looked like in person.. I'm sure much worse then on camera.

post-3499-1213665716.jpg

I like that.. it's pretty.. no its a really good pic. you should send it to the weather channel or whomever!! I hope no one got hurt.

It could be a funnel cloud, but it could also be a skud cloud. I wasn't there, so I really can't say. Weather was certainly wicked enough to produce a funnel cloud. I was sitting at Memorial Park in Nyack waiting for one to drop ! These are a bit dark, but you get the point, it was nasty !

DSC_6035.jpg

DSC_6037.jpg

A photo by another Rockland Firefighter from the Route 9W lookout in Haverstraw, looking toward Westchester !

0616081837.jpg

My house is along the river and this looked like the worst storm I've seen in decades. the rain, wind and lightning, you would think it was a hurricane. visibility dropped to about 200 - 300 feet, vertical rain & winds that were about 80 - 90 mph.

As bad as it looked, damage could have been much worse. I had a lightning strike about 50 feet from my house and took off a 8 inch round limb. you could smell the burnt wood.

The weather channel said that the monster that rolled over the middle of the county had cloud hights over 43,000 feet.

That looks like something you would see out West. I can only imagine what it looked like in person.. I'm sure much worse then on camera.

You're right these photos show no justice. They are actually much brighter than the sky really was.

Edited by FFD941

We had a wee bit of rain on Weaver Street:

Mike

Edited by abaduck

We were in the basement for a bit! Luckily - no...amazingly, we didnt lose power!

Awesome pics everyone thanks for sharing them.

Soem crappy pics from the Dover area.........blurry, surprisingly with NO help from the Coors Brewing Company.

Front yard towards Union Vale...Route 343

Picture024.jpg

Towards Millbrook

Picture026.jpg

Towards God

Picture025.jpg

Putnam had some heavy rains, wind, and good size hail (some an inch in diameter) but that's about it...

We had some crazy hail in Hyde Park. I have never seen a storm like this before.

post-4002-1213712872.jpgpost-4002-1213714613.jpg

post-4002-1213712905.jpg

Edited by celticmedic643

Wow!~ We had hail too - but NOTHING like that!!!!!!!

We had some crazy hail in Hyde Park. I have never seen a storm like this before.

post-4002-1213712872.jpgpost-4002-1213712905.jpg

Same thing out here in Millbrook. I was at work yesterday and called home and told the wife to take the kids in the basement. Very windy and a lot of hail stones, then came the rain. Never lost power. Is it me, or are the storms getting worse in this part of the Hudson Valley?

Edited by x134

Putnam had some heavy rains, wind, and good size hail (some an inch in diameter) but that's about it...

Lighting Strikes to a barn at Zephyer Farms (Mahopac), Arms Acres (Carmel), and A&P-Lakeview Plaza (Brewster) all with no major damage but definite strikes. Multiple trees and wires down in Carmel, Kent and Southeast. It got very windy there for a while.

Great pictures! We really got nothing here in Stamford, as usual, some wind and lighting but that's about all.

You should send that to the Weather Channel.. Great shot! Hope everyone is ok.

thats 45 to 55 minutes north of cold spring

Rocklandfires - that looks like a wall cloud, not a good thing to see lucky it didn't form

Is it me, or are the storms getting worse in this part of the Hudson Valley?

It's not just you.. I was actually thinking the same thing about the weather. We've had more bad storms the past couple of weeks then we've had.. well really ever.. or as long as I can remember. We would get occasional storms here and there, sometimes bad ones, but never really this bad or so many bad ones in such a short time span. For me I like thunderstorms instead of just plain rain, so I enjoy it, but I wish no harm or property damage upon anyone.. and there has been alot of both the past couple of weeks and I feel bad for those affected and wish speedy recovery's and the best of luck on clean ups to everyone involved.

Rocklandfires - that looks like a wall cloud, not a good thing to see lucky it didn't form

Yes, it was a nasty wall cloud for sure.

National Weather Service confirmed an EF0 Tornado touched down 3 times in Newburgh between 6:15 & 6:18 PM