Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

New Mount Vernon PD Mounted Unit

16 posts in this topic

From LoHud.com link below.

I really can't believe this. The city is going to have a Mounted Unit which will require the costs to maintain the horses, train the officers, trailer & tow vehicle, etc.

What kills me is that the FD is struggling on ALL fronts... Manpower, stations, apparatus, etc..... Mounted units I don't believe to be "essential" and that the FD meeting minimum operating standards for the safety of the firefighters is far more important.

If I was a Mt. Vernon jake, I'd be boiling over this.

Seeing how things are run in that City, those poor horses will probably be dead of malnutrition soon! Then again, they'll have plenty of water to drink from at the roundabout fountain.

Seeing how things are run in that City, those poor horses will probably be dead of malnutrition soon! Then again, they'll have plenty of water to drink from at the roundabout fountain.

No MV residents requirement for these 4 legged cops.....They will be commuting from Eastchester.

Making an awful lot of assumptions I see. The horses, trailer, training and food were all paid for by the Mount Vernon Police Foundation, a non-for-profit benefitting the MVPD. The city only pays for the officers salary.

If you want better funding for FDMV, you have to make a stink about it. MV is known as a relatively high crime area, so the citizens will throw money at PD, but since FD is hidden away in the firehouses and most peoples houses are not burning down, they really don't care.

The city only pays for the officers salary.

And for DPW to come out with a shovel after the horses leave something on the street

I hope the horses are well trained not to be spooked

by GUNSHOTS! :P

Will the horses be for special events/details or

part of a regular patrol? Downtown, ETC?

High Visibility = Crime Deterrence

Good luck Mount Vernon Police Department!

Will see how long this Unit lasts. Will the horses have a chance to lateral transfer to other Depts. also, if they get tired of MT.Vernon?

Maybe MVFD can "borrow" the horses to pull the apparatus to fires? Save on gas? And the broken down firehouses can be used as barns!

Maybe MVFD can "borrow" the horses to pull the apparatus to fires? Save on gas? And the broken down firehouses can be used as barns!

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! You beat me to it!

A mounted unit is great, but is it really neccesary in Mount Vernon at this time? County PD has a Mounted Unit that would be more then happy to assist MVPD whenever a mounted unit may be needed. Obviously, they have the funding for this, and obviously PD is better funded then FD, but couldn't the money be better spent by putting more officers on the street?

The cops got a grant, a donation from a local supermarket owner, and the foundation chipped in for the horses and training. While I’m not totally sold on the idea, I do know that mounted units are way more visible then a cop on foot and they are very useful for crowd control. Summer in MV brings out large groups for street fairs, basketball till all hours of the night, and to just hang when the heat is too much in a building. These horses might be useful. My main concern is who will clean up after them? Curb your horse....lol.

Will see how long this Unit lasts. Will the horses have a chance to lateral transfer to other Depts. also, if they get tired of MT.Vernon?

excellent question. Maybe White Plains is looking to expand the stable. A horse with the right hook might have a chance.

If you want better funding for FDMV, you have to make a stink about it. MV is known as a relatively high crime area, so the citizens will throw money at PD, but since FD is hidden away in the firehouses and most peoples houses are not burning down, they really don't care.

Mount Vernon is known to the fire service for the amount of work they get. This is a ridiculous statement to say they are "hidden away in the firehouses". The public, I am sure, sees them enough "working" but they are uneducated to the needs of the fire service.

I'm looking foward to this!

Firstly I live on a horse farm and am STILL somewhat intimidated by them... I can only imagine how they'll strike fear into the locals [who incidentally get excited if they see a deer].

Secondly a horse is a great vehicle for the terrain. Much more agile than an RMP, but WAY faster than a foot patrol or even bicycle patrol. I think they'll be great for foot pursuits!

I'm all for various diversification of LE forces.

The only question I have [as has been mentioned] is what to do about their eleminations.

And for DPW to come out with a shovel after the horses leave something on the street

Actually, don't the officers carry a little shovel and broom on their saddle?? I know the NYPD mounted units used to.....

MVFD they need serious help and it is a joke and I am suprised no one has died with the staffing.

MVPD with a mounted unit. Wasn't the NYSP patroling Mount Vernon last summer? Maybe two man cars more cops, staffing the ESU unit appropriatly and building up the Narcotics unit and street crime units should be the priority, not horses. The only reason that that city hasn't been taken over by the thugs is because of those brave men of the police force who do the job with so much red tape day in and day out. I remeber them driving Aries k's and other junk as police cars.

MVFD they need serious help and it is a joke and I am suprised no one has died with the staffing.

MVPD with a mounted unit. Wasn't the NYSP patroling Mount Vernon last summer? Maybe two man cars more cops, staffing the ESU unit appropriatly and building up the Narcotics unit and street crime units should be the priority, not horses. The only reason that that city hasn't been taken over by the thugs is because of those brave men of the police force who do the job with so much red tape day in and day out. I remeber them driving Aries k's and other junk as police cars.

NYSP intermittently augments MVPD Patrols on Thurs, Fri, Sat's 4p-12a, under the auspices of the State IMPACT Program.