Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pcfpr1

FDNY: New Buses For Haz-Tac And Rescue Medics?

15 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about it... ive seen one new bus down there in the Bx and its larger with a new top to bottom roll up door.. with the HAZTAC Logo on it... is this a new thing? will it go citywide?

I saw a new Haz-Tac bus last night at Jacobi (03Rescue). From what I was told by the conditions boss, all 5 rescue medic buses have been replaced already. Followed by all the ALS and BLS Haz-tac units. Sharp looking rig...

Anyone have pictures or a website, so we can see them?

Thomas

I saw a Rescue Medic unit from a distance outside GCT on Saturday, other than the roll up door on the front left of the box it didn't look that different.

I'll see if I can get some shots of the buses at Jacobi on one of my days off this week.

what exactly extra do these haz-tech buses do. Looks like scba bracket's and irons are added. Are they going to be cross-trained in firefighting?

I believe that the persons assigned to Haz-Tac are trained and equipped to work in the hot zone. BTW who built these units?

Edited by bvfdjc316

The new HazTac buses are almost the same as the line buses. To accommodate the extra equipment carried by these units they added a through the box compartment. To accommodate the extra weight and length the trucks are now on F-450 chassis with a lowerable suspension. They also now have an intercom for communication between the cab and box as the window between the two is no more.

The EMT's and Paramedics working these units are not firefighters. The Rescue medics are trained in crush medicine and are cross trained with the rescue companies so that they can bring treatment to the patient. All HazTac units are tasked with bringing patient assessment and treatment into the Hot zone and through decon. Fire is still soley responsible for rescue and hazard mitigation. This just allows us to follow them into many environments. The space is sorely needed especially on the Rescue units. Other than the extra compartment the trucks are pretty much the same.

They are built by Horton.

that's cool so are the guys on this rig hazmat tech's as well or they're rescue medics and don't have anything to do with hazmat.

Is the training unit-exclusive, or do you have to be a Haztac Medic before you can be a Rescue Medic?

Have to be HazTac before you can get Rescue and have to maintain all of your training.

I recently saw a Haz-Tac bus on an EMS box. Lowers in the rear a couple inches when you open the doors. Makes a lotta noise for something that only moves 2 inches. I got the immpression from the medic that she thought the whole thing was a little silly.

Horton screwed up, and FDNY didnt make them fix it. the brackets for the scott pack bottles are the wrong size, the brackets installed are for the 45 min bottles, not the 1 hr bottles that the haz-tac/ rescue medics use. And you cant even have the pack frame mounted to the bottle, there isnt enough clearance to allow the door to roll down.

Only other complaints that ive heard from the crews of 07R and 08Z is that the truck is too top heavy, and rolls too much when turning. Probably needs some stiffer anti roll bars.

That pack bracket was a mistake on FDNY's part and they knew about the sway problems ahead of time.

The bracket problem is because thats the same bracket used by fire in 90% of the apparatus. The larger bottles w/pack will not fit in the space between the compartment wall and the doors. hell they didn't even design the new compartment for the equipment they have. They bought off the shelf merchandise and this is what they got. Fire's Rescues were designed largely by the late Capt. Terry Hatton and the Hazmat by the members of that unit so that the vehicle fit the equipment they carry. Every thing has a specific place, while our new fleet still comes with fill it as you see fit shelving. There are differences between Divisions and even between stations in how we store our crap.

The sway is among several problems first identified in the development of these new vehicles. As I'm told it came down to International or Ford. International offered shorter turning radius, increased weight capacity, more durability, and stiffer suspension. Ford offered easier driver integration, uniform maintenance w/ the rest of the fleet with "manageable" losses in turning radius, durability and stability. I can't say I disagree with this decision because they either evoc everyone on the internationals or they leave them sitting on dark street corners while pts are transported. But then again we manage to drive voluntary vehicles with no training without incident.