Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Exempt Fireman's Club

30 posts in this topic

I see the Exempt's have a fire engine now - saw it in a parade last night.

Does anyone know the history of it? It is a Ford C-Series chassis.

heard they bought it from roosevelt

heard they bought it from roosevelt

10-4 K

Edited by x129K

Purchased from the Rhinebeck Fire Dept. 1980 E-One ,1000gpm/1000 Tank.

Does anyone have a picture of thie truck or any of the other trucks thier last night???

Thomas

Purchased from the Rhinebeck Fire Dept. 1980 E-One ,1000gpm/1000 Tank.

I thought I smelled Maxwell House coffee......... :lol:

Does anyone have a picture of thie truck or any of the other trucks thier last night???

Thomas

Waiting on a brother from www.firepics.net to post some up - I'll throw up the link later.

Well hopefully it will be at Millbrook's Parade next weekend so I can see it. Because non-members can't view that link. Does anyone know who is going to be at Millbrook's Parade???

Found a picture of the truck. It looks really nice. It is from Fire Service Photography website owned and taken by Ed Harvey. Also, has the whole Amenia Parade

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2...s/IMG_7143.html A Photo Of The Exempt Truck

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2...8/index_19.html The Exempt's Page

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2008/070408/ Amenia's Parade

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/ Ed Harvey Website

Hope you enjoy. Hopefully it will be there in Millbrook.

Thomas

Too bad the Exempts somehow lost track of the 1800's vintage hand pumper.Nobody seems to know where it went.The E-One is a little bigger so it probably won't get "lost" as easily.

What is the exempt fireman's club and how do you lose track of something like that?

The rig is parked at the club and the parking lot is full with customers each day I pass.

The rig is parked at the club and the parking lot is full with customers each day I pass.

We know where the new one is the question remains on what happened to antique hand pumper.I for one having been a past member (a real one ) ,would like to know what happened to the old girl.

Found a picture of the truck. It looks really nice. It is from Fire Service Photography website owned and taken by Ed Harvey. Also, has the whole Amenia Parade

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2...s/IMG_7143.html A Photo Of The Exempt Truck

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2...8/index_19.html The Exemt's Page

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/07_2008/070408/ Amenia's Parade

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/ Ed Harvey Website

Hope you enjoy. Hopefully it will be thier in Millbrook.

Thomas

Ed harvey takes great pics! He even caught yours truly in the Amenia series! :P

I have a question - hopefully an Exempt member is online here...

The marked Tahoe...how/why does it have/display a blue dash light? Is it a member's personal car? (It has passenger plates) Seems odd......why not red like the engine?

nice pics I was even in one!! hopefully you can be at millbrooks parade over 40 companies from what im hearing

We know where the new one is the question remains on what happened to antique hand pumper.I for one having been a past member (a real one ) ,would like to know what happened to the old girl.

Chief, I am not sure but Pleasant Valley just finished a hand tub last year and I am not sure where it was from. I will ask Rich Berger and find out. It might be the one you are looking for.

Edited by x134

is there even any firefighters that are active or were, that belong to this social club . I hear a lot of people talk about going to the bar there and they know nothing of the fire service. When did this club become such a social club? What do they need to go out and get a rig for? Maybe they should take some of that money and give it to a city they resdie in that could put that money to good use, like Poughkeepsie.

Edited by DOC22
Corrected numerous grammar errors

is there even any firefighters that are active or were, that belong to this social club . I hear a lot of people talk about going to the bar there and they know nothing of the fire service. When did this club become such a social club? What do they need to go out and get a rig for? Maybe they should take some of that money and give it to a city they resdie in that could put that money to good use, like Poughkeepsie.

They send me a newsletter every month and a membership card in the mail but I don't know who signed me up or even where it is, I sure don't visit or pay dues. Is it a county wide thing?

They send me a newsletter every month and a membership card in the mail but I don't know who signed me up or even where it is, I sure don't visit or pay dues. Is it a county wide thing?

I am told that in an effort to bolster thier "membership" they put out blanket membership invitations to the surrounding volunteer companies allowing every member to "join" for one small department fee. They call this the !00% campaign. This is what allows them to claim over two thousand members. Like you, most of these so called members don't even know where the building is located.

I am told that in an effort to bolster thier "membership" they put out blanket membership invitations to the surrounding volunteer companies allowing every member to "join" for one small department fee. They call this the !00% campaign. This is what allows them to claim over two thousand members. Like you, most of these so called members don't even know where the building is located.

do they get a share of the 2% $$$$$$$ ?????

Why should they give money to the city that they earned or worked for? Maybe the city should trim some fat from the budget or "Sell" their city to prospective commercial businesses to help rejuvenate the depressed areas and stop looking for handouts.

Why should they give money to the city that they earned or worked for? Maybe the city should trim some fat from the budget or "Sell" their city to prospective commercial businesses to help rejuvenate the depressed areas and stop looking for handouts.

The club consists of Active firefighters, Exempt Firefighters, social members (Buffs, wanna-bee's, etc) and I believe honorary members. As far as i know, they don't receive any two percent monies. They do some sort of fund raising work to run the organization. and they march in parades as well....Thats about all i know about the group.

What is and "excempt" fireman?

What is and "excempt" fireman?

An Exempt Firefighter is a volunteer fireman who's served 5 or more years of active service in a volunteer fire company/district/department.

An Exempt Firefighter is a volunteer fireman who's served 5 or more years of active service in a volunteer fire company/district/department.

The term originated in the early 1900's when NYS made volunteers "exempt" from jury duty. but the state no longer allows anyone to get out of that civic duty.

To interested parties. the hand pumper currently in Pleasant Valley, is as far as I can tell, a piece of Pleasant Valley History. Unfortunately the oldest village records were destroyed by fire in the early 20's I believe. The one note of fact I found came from an article put out by the history of the post office which made mention of the village fire company accepting the membership of a young man in 1826. Everyone I have spoken too about the old tub says they always saw it around town. they even make mention of the kids in town playing with it at Don Robison's Saw Mill back in the day. It has seen several make overs and we are currently on the home stretch to make it pump water again. this was a class "C" hand tub with 4 1/2" pistons, typical of small villages. Poughkeepsie even came to the aid of the Valley back in the mid 1800's when the inn near the rail road station burned. I believe the"Niagara" steamer was loaded on a flat car and brought to the valley by the old Poughkeepsie and Eastern RR to help quell the blaze. :lol:

Unfortunately like many organizations, The Exempt Firemen's association has gone through many different periods in its history. At one point they even had their own fire station on Liberty Street where the mystery hand pumper was housed. the 5 years of active duty, career or volunteer did at one point offer the member a pass on jury duty etc. As time passed the club changed as many of the "real" members either moved on, lost interest or died. with in the last year there has been a serious effort to swing the emphasis back to the firematics side of the room. The current and last Presidents of the organization are active FF's in the county. A FF can still obtain his or her Exempt status and thus become "Exempt". Yes there is still a large number of "Social" members but they do work quite hard to make a nice place to go and have a drink, get a burger or some clams and just kick back.

They are currently working very hard to co-host the Hudson valley Convention on '11. the down stairs of the club has been set up with a great deal of Poughkeepsie Volunteer and early Career History. the the Memorial being worked on as we speak will be a fitting tribute to any and all deceased FF both Vol & Career from the area in the park

And for the record more than a few FF now take active part in functions at the Exempts and more are showing interest.

To paraphrase on a movie quote "If you build on it, they will come"

Unfortunately like many organizations, The Exempt Firemen's association has gone through many different periods in its history. At one point they even had their own fire station on Liberty Street where the mystery hand pumper was housed. the 5 years of active duty, career or volunteer did at one point offer the member a pass on jury duty etc. As time passed the club changed as many of the "real" members either moved on, lost interest or died. with in the last year there has been a serious effort to swing the emphasis back to the firematics side of the room. The current and last Presidents of the organization are active FF's in the county. A FF can still obtain his or her Exempt status and thus become "Exempt". Yes there is still a large number of "Social" members but they do work quite hard to make a nice place to go and have a drink, get a burger or some clams and just kick back.

They are currently working very hard to co-host the Hudson valley Convention on '11. the down stairs of the club has been set up with a great deal of Poughkeepsie Volunteer and early Career History. the the Memorial being worked on as we speak will be a fitting tribute to any and all deceased FF both Vol & Career from the area in the park

And for the record more than a few FF now take active part in functions at the Exempts and more are showing interest.

To paraphrase on a movie quote "If you build on it, they will come"

Rich - thanks for that info, alot of people really dont know what the Exempt's are all about. Glad to have some positive insight.