Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 3stix119

Mount Vernon -General Alarm 12-25-04

28 posts in this topic

Apartment Bldg, at least 5 stories, unknown exactly how many floors, as of appx 0030 floors 3, 4, and 5 were involved

thats what happens when you only have 16 firefighters working!along with engines out of service and no officers covering the rigs!

that is correct not enough man power to put out a blaze of that size and what a christmas present for those ppl

did white plains ladder 32 respond to the scene or to cover a sta.?

Only 1 WP truck to the city to cover sta 3

dwelling or 2 story wood frame? and is the fire under control or holding at this time?

Fire still going or is under control?

It's an apt bldg, no 10-30 called yet

EVERYBODY HAS TO GO TO BED NOW IF YOU WANT SANTA TO COME BY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PDT_Armataz_03

0217hrs....10-30 YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Fire started on floor 3, moved up to 4 and 5. Heavy smoke throughout, fire was stopped before it reached the cockloft.

Don't people find it disturbing that a White Plains Ladder being Re-located to Mt.Vernon????? When is this county going wake up? If people only knew how politics played a role in the fire service in Westchester? Is there no other truck companies between Mt. Vernon and White Plains???? What is it going to take to make changes in this county? Waiting 20 to 30 minutes for a truck company?? How do you explain that???

Things have to change....

Stay low and keep safe....Merry Christmas

God Bless the Brothers who had to do our line of work on Christmas Eve, and to the Families who lost their homes.

Be Safe !!

msm232,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. there is no reason for that, there are plenty other ladders before white plains. Has to do with the manpower though. White Plains is the only place that has at least three men on a rig after you pass Greenville, Hartsdale and Fairview. Everyone else is two or less, which is why they probably ended up being called.

probably the reason is that they dont wanna have to strip the county and many times the skip a bit. I remember CFFD went to mt kisco, the are plenty of other closer engines, but they didnt want to stip the entire surronding area

How about Larchmont or the Town of Mamaroneck Ladder???How about Dobbs Ferry or Hastings?? You can't argue that taking Ladder 1, ladder 4 and ladder 32 does not compromise a truck company response in the White Plains, greenbrgh area.....How about FDNY???Were there companies there from the Bronx????

Strategy and tactics 101.......Stratgey and Tactics 101...can't say it enough,,,when is this county going to change.....and the people who suffer are the one's who need it the most. Kind of ironic??

Stay safe and keep low.

msm232,

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  there is no reason for that, there are plenty other ladders before white plains.  Has to do with the manpower though.  White Plains is the only place that has at least three men on a rig after you pass Greenville, Hartsdale and Fairview.  Everyone else is two or less, which is why they probably ended up being called.

Its not that the FDMV has no brains. They do the best with what they are given. In response to the above quote, this is not a manpower issue. Its a career, combo, volunteer issue. Also mentioned was the LFD and TMFD. All due respect to all the departments that answered the call for mutual aid, But both Larchmont and the Town can respond with three times the number of trained personnel on a truck at that time of the morning. All the same career fire companies that responded to Mount Vernon would be requested to New Rochelle before LFD or TMFD would be called, and in most places you can't even tell when Larchmont, the Town of Mamk and New Rochelle response areas begin and end. Unfortunately its going to take someone getting hurt before a lawyer stands up in courtroom and asks why you waited for a mutual aid company 20 minutes away when you could have had one in 5. Stay safe...

DRD,

I agree those departments should have been called before White Plains. IMO, it should be the closest department that is called for Mutual Aid. Pelham and Pelham Manor are Mt. Vernons neighbors, but are not the first to be called, New Rochelle is. Its the same for New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon is first. So in Pelham, you have trucks flying through the town to respond to either's emergencies, while they sit and look out the bay doors and watch the rigs fly by. It shouldnt be that way, but thats the way the politicians decide to do things, and until they change, no one else is.

I know this has all been said before and you are right DRD, it won't change until the lawyers get involved. But think about it, 10-75 assisgnment from FDNY brings 3-2-1-1 (eng/trk/res/Sq), I not quite sure what the rules are for some one else's 10-75???Do you think that would have changed the outcome of the fire, I would like to know opinions of people who were at the fire?? It seems some resoures are being over used, some are being under used??????

Does anyone know the stats on FDMV ? How may calls/yr out of how many stations, monthly averages, what are busiest houses ??

let me start by telling people that the determination of mutual aid is made by the chief of each individual dept, long before any fire. Eastchester is a boarder community to MV and went in on the 5th alarm. Greenville/ Fairview just about drive thru Eastchester to go to MV. There has been a determination long ago not to call Eastchester and at that time probably a good decision, However alot of changes has transpired in EFD (for the better)(new apparatus, new radios, officers, increased manpower) although nobody has done a periodic review to see if Eastchester should be considered a viable mutual aid participant. Eastchester on any request for mutual aid sends a rig out immediatly with 1 officer and 2 firefighters. the EFD then back fills Eastchester with offduty recall.Eastchester is spending money to assist in mutual aid and is not complaining. ( this is my take only. I do not speak for EFD)

does any1 know the cause of this fire or is it still under investigation?

did any one else happen to hear the rare call for yonkers squad 311 to the scene, i guess 60 will be recoginizing the number being they called yonkers to go to mt vernon.....

HFD211:did any one else happen to hear the rare call for yonkers squad 311 to the scene, i guess 60 will be recoginizing the number being they called yonkers to go to mt vernon.....

yes i did hear that but i didn't think to much of it. i guess 60 control will be reconginizing. when they call for a squad in the county like one of those buses whit the squad trailer to they call it a squad or what

How about Larchmont or the Town of Mamaroneck Ladder???How about Dobbs Ferry or Hastings?? You can't argue that taking Ladder 1, ladder 4 and ladder 32 does not compromise a truck company response in the White Plains, greenbrgh area.....

Keep in mind that Greenburgh was still being covered by two ladders (L4 & TL15) and White Plains also had two ladders still in service(L34 & TL6). While I can't speak for other departments, the policy of Greenville is to call back additional manpower to fill in for the crew that responds on M/A. In my opinion it makes more sense to call White Plains, Fairview and Greenville because the truck is out the door right away where as with places like Larchmont or Mamaroneck you have to wait for a full crew before responding. On paper it may seem better to call for M/A from the closest places, however, that does not always work out. Also, I know of several departments who in the past had trouble responding on M/A calls due to problems with calling back man power, which may explain why some of the closer departments were not called first.

does any1 know the cause of this fire or is it still under investigation?

seems like an 8-year old child was left alone and put food wrapped in tinfoil in the microwave.....