Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Utility

Should the County supply a Utility for all departments?   0 members have voted

1. 1. Should the County supply a Utility for all departments?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

How many departments have Utility trucks and what are they used for?

I personally think that the county should issue a utility type vehicle to all fire departments. That one truck that can be used as a brush trucks and first responders truck and also, you could use it to plow in front of the stations. What do you guys think

Yes, I agree. Dobbs Ferry uses there utility for a lot of things. We carry cones, Hurst tool, saws, bottles, everything necessary. I do think it would be a good idea for the county do so something like that. But then what would be the point of a heavy rescue?

I absolutely do not think the County should issue Utilities to Fire Departments. First, money can (and should) be better spent elsewhere.(Such as a mobile-data terminal program,but thats a whole other issue)

I do agree that Utilties are a useful tool. Besides the ideas stated above, they can be used to tow trailers with special equipment, ferry additonal crew equipment to and from incidents, and run errands alleviating the wear and tear and liability on members vehicles and more expenive peices of apparatus I also like the idea of "toolbox" type bodies with an open bed, so that the utiility can serve as a spare or backup rescue. As for putting a plow on the truck, I think not only for plowing the station (Usually DPW is pretty good from what I hear in most communities) It can plow other apparatus to calls.

I personally think VMFD Utility 9 is ideal, although a simple crew cab pickup would do the job just fine.

http://www.geocities.com/westtac1/SpecFeat/U9.html

That utility is a perfect example i was just a thought that the county should supply but if a department can not afford

The county should supply what type of utility?

Somers for example has 3 designated utility numbers all used for different purposes:

Utility 5 - Ford F350 with a utility body used for fire police. Also carries portable pumps trash pumps, a generator and can carry equipment back from a fire scene so it can be washed down in (this time of year) warmer environments.

Utility 34 - E350 Mini bus. SCUBA vehicle. Carries all scuba equipment and (in this time of year) ice rescue equiptment.

Utility 35 - Chevy Astro van to transport people to and from classes.

Somers also has an EMS utility (80U4) GMC Yukon, for use as a first responder vehicle as it exceeds the New York State Department of Health guidelines for an EMS vehicle.

if the average utility costs, about 30,000 to 40,000...then the county could spend this money on outfitting each depts apparatus with a better radio system, or perhaps a KDT or MDT system...this would be much more beneficial on a county wide level then giving out utilites, which may not even be used in certain depts

I disagree whole heartedly with this idea.... the county is in servere financial straits and cannot afford to waste money so foolishly. While I agree that utility trucks are extremely useful, they are costly as well.

Here is another great situation where surplus vehicals can be obtained for low costs and put to use in meaningful second carriers. Used military pickups and vehicles are very very common in fire departments across the United States..... Stepney Fire Department in CT. obtained two 1990's vintage Suburbans for the local phone company.... for a nominal amount of money they were refurbed and placed into service as a Utilily vehical and a chiefs car. Check out www.stepneyfire.com and www.gowansknight.com for more info on these projects. In Katonah, we kept our 1992 Suburban Chief's Unit after it was replaced by the new 2211. A few bucks for a tune-up and some body work and bingo..... utility.... not pretty and it gets the job done. Lets leave county money to training and dispatching facilities, and leave the purchasing of the equipment as a responsibility of the fire districts..... besides, each department seems to have different ideas on what a utility should be able to do.... how fiscally responsible would it be to go out and by 50 some odd pick up trucks with plows, when what I really need is a van to transport people because we already have a pick up?????? Sorry to be soo against the idea, but that is just how I feel.

if the average utility costs, about 30,000 to 40,000...then the county could spend this money on outfitting each depts apparatus with a better radio system, or perhaps a KDT or MDT system...this would be much more beneficial on a county wide level then giving out utilites, which may not even be used in certain depts

i deffinatly side with DG795 on this, i am a bigger fan of a MDT system on all county rigs.. i think that this can better serve the whole rather then the few who would benifit from the utilities