Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Firematic Auction in Larchmont 7/27

14 posts in this topic

It looks like someone did a major spring cleaning of a storage room somewhere in Mt. Vernon. There is some old stuff on the auction block. Also saw some company log books up for auction. A lot of history of the MVFD up for the taking.

Too bad these items could not be part of a fire museum for the MVFD. Lots of history.

Someone needs to determine whether these items are legitimately being offered for sale or if there is is somebody off the reservation looking to make some money. According to a contact these may be items that were placed in the Mt. Vernon Public Library on loan for the preservation of the history of the Mt. Vernon FD and it's members.

It's a shame that the Firemans' Home was not considered as a suitable repository for these items, especially the minute books, the sound shore/ southern westchester is very sparingly represented.

I've been told that this is legitimate, the Museum did not want the items.

As a long time member of the fire service and a long time fire antique collector it just breaks my heart to see this taking place.

As a long time active member of FASNY, I can't begin to describe my anger at hearing of their refusal to take this important part of fire service history and at least place it in storage for future generations, especially in light of the fact that they constantly ask companies to keep the Museum in mind for a repository of their historical items.

First Deputy Chief helmet- John J. Carroll ,interesting for FDMV- if there is ever a helmet there that says Lieutenant Joseph J. Carroll please grab it for me, it was stolen last July from me!!! LOL

*Sorry to break this news to you Capt Kangaroo fans but thats really not him,it looks as if somebody wrote that in refering to the gentleman who is a retired lieutenant from FDMV,funny thoughts!

Edited by hudson144

The museum did not want these items? Was it political, or do they not have enough space? Seems like maybe this was part of an estate, and is now being sold off. Hopefully, Leut2 will pick up some of these helmets to add to his collection.

The museum did not want these items? Was it political, or do they not have enough space? Seems like maybe this was part of an estate, and is now being sold off. Hopefully, Leut2 will pick up some of these helmets to add to his collection.

The Firematic items from FDMV based on the photos had belonged to the prior individual volunteer fire companies in MV. I recognize many of the items from years ago that were displayed in the various quarters. Its sad that some of the history of the department and city will be lost

The Firematic items from FDMV based on the photos had belonged to the prior individual volunteer fire companies in MV. I recognize many of the items from years ago that were displayed in the various quarters. Its sad that some of the history of the department and city will be lost

Right you are Bob. This is criminal.

....and Capt. Kangaroo ? LOL I think that the picture was taken in the late '60's.

Well once again the Mount Vernon Volunteer Fire Department Members just punched in the face. I hope they get what they should in the end. They just like to screw other members.

I did not see the clock from behind the bar........who has that in a basement...........

What a shame

Chris

Edited by CPAGE

Well once again the Mount Vernon Volunteer Fire Department Members just punched in the face. I hope they get what they should in the end. They just like to screw other members.

I did not see the clock from behind the bar........who has that in a basement...........

What a shame

Chris

OMG ! I forgot the clock. That was Engine 3's. I bet that won't show up at the auction !

Hudson144,

FDMV- if there is ever a helmet there that says Lieutenant Joseph J. Carroll please grab it for me, it was stolen last July from me!!! LOL

Former Mayor Ernie Davis had that under his coat when he was running out the door

of City Hall! :P

This said all....................I guess he needed some money for something what a POS

"Everything that was sold at the auction does not belong to the city. It belongs to the volunteers," said Jerry Formisano, president of the members association.

Chris Page

Former FDMV Volly Engine Co. 2

While on this topic, do the MT.Vernon Volunteers still receive the 2% fund and if so why? They are no longer providing fire protection for the City. Do the Career guys get any percentage of it, since they are the sole providers of f/p? Just wondering.