Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

"The Grammar Police"

17 posts in this topic

For some time now one of the criticisms of the moderators on this site has been that we are the "grammar police"; that is we go in and make spelling corrections, fix grammatical mistakes, and add punctuation where necessary. I'd like to suggest that before hitting the "post" button for your addition to this site you consider how many people will read it and at the very least proof read your work. If you're an atrocious speller, consider using a spell check. At least make sure it makes sense to YOU when you reread it. Many times our brains move faster than our fingers and we miss something when typing (I know I'm guilty of this).

As has been pointed out before, one of the problems with a forum such as this is that your tone of voice is missing so things like sarcasm or humor can easily be overlooked. Consider that when posting! Make sure you are going to be understood.

I'm not a member of this site to be the grammar police but it can be very frustrating trying to follow someone's train of thought when it has derailed! :blink: So just take the extra few seconds and we'll all be able to read things and understand what the author meant.

Thanks!

Chris

I don't know who complains about any of you making grammar and spelling changes..but you have full permission to change any of my mistakes...after all I am college edumacated and like to be considered an utmost professional and its little things like that, to me count a lot!

didnt even know there was a spell check.. good to know

I know I am usually guilty of numerous TYPOS, mostly due to being tired when i decide to post, so have at it! correct me spelling and grammar all day for all I care. You are doing ME a favor! :lol:

didnt even know there was a spell check.. good to know

Not sure if Internet Explorer has one but I knw Firefox does. But if you are stuck on a word, you can always open MS Word and type it in, then spell check it.

An easy way to do a spell check if you do';t have it on your web browser is to cut and paste the post prior to posting into MS Word, make all the correction and cut and paste back into word. Or you can type it in word and cut and paste it to the reply post box. Either way its a little bit of a long process but it will make easier reading for our fellow members.

Trust me I'm one of the worst typers around. (I should never have been hung over in typing class..)

the spell check has never worked for me. sometimes i write my post in MS Word and copy it to the forum, so i can use the spell check.

What's even more scary then posts with misspelled words and poor gramar is the fact that some of these members responsible for these posts are so called CFI's and SFI's! God Help the Fire Service! :blink:

Thanks Chris for starting this post - it's about time someone brought this subject up! It really bothers me to see young people especially who cannot spell or use proper grammar. Makes you wonder about the education system these days.

If you can't use spell check, how about the good old dictionary!!!

Thanks Chris for starting this post - it's about time someone brought this subject up! It really bothers me to see young people especially who cannot spell or use proper grammar. Makes you wonder about the education system these days.

If you can't use spell check, how about the good old dictionary!!!

its not even the spelling that bothers me the most its the single runon paragraph with no punctuation or capitalization so you need a map and compass to figure out what the person is actually trying to say and you wind up reading the same post seven times just to get the hint about the subject and what the writer is saying it can be really annoying don't you think?

Happily the people who tried to use "texting short hand" have been stopped, too. It's amazing how many people think that txt spk is appropriate for all communications.

Spell check will only tell you if the word is spelled correctly. It won't determine that it's not being used in the right context. Most common example: there - they're - their. Three words. Same sound. Different spelling, different meaning.

And don't even get me started on apostrophes. When did it become common practice to use an apostrophe to make a word plural? I must have missed that memo.

I belong to several message boards, of various subject matter, and this is a common "sore spot" among the members of most all of them. Teens and adults who post things that would make you think they're in third grade, or less. Sadly, no matter how many threads like this turn up, the worst offenders will either not get the message, or just go on the defensive and/or get an attitude about it, etc. Nice to know I'm not alone in wishing that everyone would use the education they were given, particularly that which is provided in the form of English class!

How much writing does a LEO have to do? How much writing does a FF have to do? How much writing does a EMS provider have to do? I didn't go to college, but I did go to high school. These are all basic mistakes that people make. I know that when I write on hear(joke) or at work I proof read and change things so that what ever I am writing makes that most sense to me. If I dont' know how to use a word, I look it up or change it.

If you write all the time for whatever reason you should know the basics. Somebody once told me that I should write my reports as if I was going to get grilled by some sc*mbag DEFENSE ATTORNEY or PROSECUTOR. I have read so many reports from collegues in LEO and EMS that just blew my mind. You don't need to have SPELL CHECK how about just a DICTIONARY and THESAURAUS.

Not sure if Internet Explorer has one but I know Frefox does. But if you are stuck on a word, you can always open MS Word and type it in, then spell check it.

Spell checker for Internet Explorer is available at: IE Spell.

Edited by TIV48

You don't need to have SPELL CHECK how about just a DICTIONARY and THESAURAUS.

At radio shack they have an electronic spelling checker, dictionary/thesaurus thingy. It’s about the shape and size of a sidekick and $60. I used to have one until I lost it, but it was very handy while it lasted.

How much writing does a LEO have to do? How much writing does a FF have to do? How much writing does a EMS provider have to do?

Well, I am sure LEOs have to write depositions, blotter entries, and the sort, if you are an investigator, you might have to write your investigations into reports, and hopefully you are a strong speller in EMS, as PCRs should be quite comprehensive, to C.Y.A.

Just my $0.02

What's even more scary then posts with misspelled words and poor gramar is the fact that some of these members responsible for these posts are so called CFI's and SFI's! God Help the Fire Service! :blink:

LOL.

No different then of those who print the books and teach our kids as well brother. One of those gents that doesn't use the proper grammar of english words is a good friend of mine but I do have to say he is a fantastic instructor. On a side note...I'm not sure what a "so called" CFI or SFI is...I figure you either are or you aren't.

Well, I am sure LEOs have to write depositions, blotter entries, and the sort, if you are an investigator, you might have to write your investigations into reports, and hopefully you are a strong speller in EMS, as PCRs should be quite comprehensive, to C.Y.A.

Just my $0.02

That was my point. PD and EMS tend to write a little more and their VOCAB should be gooder. LOL