Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

Best Brand Of Fire Trucks?

59 posts in this topic

hey they are nice trucks but there are very few tillers in the county ya gotta respect it though 47 is a nice truck i love it and 61 is ugly

HM-SQ, you guys got that MackMR about two years ago and it's being replaced already?? wow. And I thought that thing was big enough to do the job. Even with the second piece.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is.....maybe they're gonna bring in a 2nd HazMat Co........but that is only a rumor that I am hearing.

I was wondering how everyone likes the MR's. The only Mack I've ever driven is a CF. Are they simialr in feel, handling, comfert etc?

Our Seagrave is very well built , and has given us no real problems . Our old Hahn is starting to rust a little but it is a tough fire truck.

Anyone have any pics of the Ferrara's?

They look like a cheap ripoff of the Seagrave engine when looked at from the front and side.

Time for some diplomacy, I really can't say what is the best brand of fire apparatus. Simply because each has their own strengths and shortcomings. Pierce works great for a lot of departments(my former dept. included), while they can't take the stresses of other environments. People bash Ferrara mercilessly, yet others say they make the best rigs around.

I think it boils down to whatever works best for you and your department, and it fits your needs.

I think it boils down to whatever works best for you and your department, and it fits your needs.

Absolutely right. But if you want to talk about it from an engineering point of view...seagrave and ferrara have the the best engineered trucks out there. Everything from the way the chassies are prepared to the way the cabs are welded together, these two stand out above the others. But to say any rig is a piece of crap comes down to the way its been specked out...unless of course you're talking about multi-plex

what does everyone think of e-one for ladders? who has them in westchester and how have they performed for you?

E38 is a very nice looking engine, even though it is green. (at least it's a respectable green, not like E120). That "thing" on E61 is a light tower. I personally don't think it looks too bad. Plus, scene lighting is important. PCFD is probably one of the few departments that have tower lights on more than one piece of apparatus.  L31 is a nice truck, but it's too big. You have to wait for 2 people qualified to operate it to respond. Yeah, it's true, you can lock the rear axle straight, but you can't tell me that it will make it out of that firehouse with the rear axles locked. Remember, it's not all about looks. The rig has to be practical enough to use as needed. I still maintain my theory that L47 is exactly what most departments should need. No more, no less.

Yes, a tiller can be tough to respond but when you get into some older areas of the county ( Sound Shore and The River) you can't beat the manuverability in the tight streets and alleyways. Always thought Sleepy Hollow, Yonkers, PC, NR, MV and Ossining were perfect tiller enviroments.

In regards to Tillers, back in the late 1970's Yonkers had purchased three ALF Tillers. I am not sure why they phased them out, considering there are so many tight streets on the westside.

From my experience, Pierce makes a good quality truck, that is made to last .

I always believed that the E-One is not that great of a truck and does not have a long life expectancy.

I really believe the bottom line is, what you pay for is what you get. If you pay three hundred thousand dollars for an engine from one comapny and another company is selling the same spec. engine for three hundred and fifty thousand dollars . The more expensive engine will be the better of the two.

what does everyone think of e-one for ladders?  who has them in westchester and how have they performed for you?

We don't have one, but...

Ossining L42

Peekskill TL45

Verplanck TL46

Rye Brook L30

Mount Vernon - I think still has one

Tarrytown L37

All E-one's last I heard.

If only it was the right color !! LOL

Iagree with bevis there.

White over red or repaint it.

Nice rigs Aussie!!, ..but to us, in the USA, they're a little 'different'. lol Do you have any specs on your rigs?

Love the helicopter - That thing is hot. - Hey 635 - it's giving me ideas for a "45-Air-1" Hmmmm :-k :-k :-k

you should have a Mack CF down unda!!!! Personally I think they'd fit right in!!!! :-P

Mack CF's would fit in anywhere. Especially in my backyard!!!!!

AMEN to that brother! =D>

My friend down in west milford nj has an e-one tower ladder and it is a great looking truck he took it out for me and showed me so of the stuff on it and it is really cool it is also lit up like a christmas tree.

CFD320 Wrote:

I don't claim to know anything about Trucks other than how nice they look. And always thought Seagrave was the best available. But, I play softball in a FDNY league and all of those guys absolutely hate their Seagraves (rivets are the major problem I hear).

True, Seagrave did have a major problem with the rivets on some FDNY rigs. The problem has been corrected.

What makes a great rig is how it is laid out with equiptment and more important is the personal that use the equiptment. A fire engine should not be designed to win trophy's. they are intended to protect life and property. In terms of the best laid out rig from a internal working point of view is Pound ridge E-113 it is small and has more equiptment then any rig I have ever seen

Hey Steve, what is equiptment? Is that the British English spelling for equipment?