Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJP399

EMS Employment Question

16 posts in this topic

With so many agencies out there, how does one go about pursuing a career in the EMS field? Are there civil service test, or does the individual contact an agency itself? Also what is the job outlook for an EMT-B?

Thanks

Mike

Likely not going to score a 911 only gig if your a brand new tech, unless you go through FDNY I suppose. In NY most EMS is not done via civil service exam, from my experience a resume will be you’re "exam" and you are placed on a list of candidates according to your experience.

Most places look for at least 1 year of high/moderate volume work. Usually a commercial experience suffices and you're either going to have to reach out to agencies/companies on you’re own or know someone on the inside who can put a good word in for you.

As far as job outlook, run numbers are only going up so EMTs and Medics will always be in great need. Best of luck.

Some EMS agencies you might want to call about Employment:

- TransCare

- Westchester EMS

- Empress

- Empire State Ambulance

- Mobile Life Support

- Regional EMS / Rockland Paramedics

- Alamo

- Northern Dutchess Paramedics

Most of them do have websites that you can check out. You can print

or fill out an application online.

As mentioned usually you will need some EMT experience before you

can work in a 911 system but not always the case.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you both for the information, I will take a look into it.

-Mike

The pay for a new EMT is also generally horrific. Between $9 and $12 per hour depending on where you go.

Unless you've got solid connections somewhere, expect to do a lot of transports as you cut your teeth.

Be very wary of any company that promises to throw you right into an all 911 system. Your best bet on that is Empress because they'll allow you to do a combination of transports and emergency calls practically right off the bat.

Why not go for your Paramedic cert? It's the only way you're going to make halfway decent money, and you'll be much more in demand.

Question is...do you want a career or a job?

If you want a career in EMS, my advice is to become a paramedic and get on board with an agency that has retirement. Most of these are FDs. There is Colonie EMS up by Albany, which is a well respected service.

If you're looking to get your medic, find a service that will pay your way through paramedic school. There are plenty of them out there, some do low interest loans, some will just pay your way with a request that you work for them for a couple of years. Ask around, find a deal.

Keep taking classes, keep pushing. The best experience will come from a busy system like Empress that will have you doing tons of calls. Staring out as a basic is fun and frustrating.

Keep asking good questions of the people on here. Most of us want to help, and aren't usually too cranky.

FDNY EMS offers among the best pay for beginning EMT's, 25 soon to be 20 year retirement, bennies, all 911, and free medic upgrade that requires three years of service or a prorated loan. All no experience required. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Forget being a paramedic. Go become a nurse. Twice the pay, much higher demand, better hours, and more flexibility in what you can do (home care, hospital care, doctor's office, transport medicine, etc).

Or get the best of both worlds and move to Jersey and become an MICN.

What is an MICN?

Thanks

Mike

Mobile Intensive Care Nurse

Mobile Intensive Care Nurse. They work the "flycars" ('MICUs) and do the ALS on interfacility transports in Jersey. All ALS in Jersey is Hospital based. MICPs make on par with paramedics from other states, but from what I have seen, MICNs make about 10-20 dollars more per hour to do the same job.

Mobile Intensive Care Nurse. They work the "flycars" ('MICUs) and do the ALS on interfacility transports in Jersey.

It's very rare to find a MICN on a truck nowadays. Pascack Valley Hospital was one of the last services I knew of that still had a couple, but as the nursing shortage gets worse, they are needed nurses elsewhere. SOME MICU's use them on critical care interfacility transfers, but that's about it.

I highly reccomend getting at least 1 year's 911 experience before even considering Paramedic school. I don't know where you live, but Empress EMS is a great system to start out in.

It's very rare to find a MICN on a truck nowadays. Pascack Valley Hospital was one of the last services I knew of that still had a couple, but as the nursing shortage gets worse, they are needed nurses elsewhere. SOME MICU's use them on critical care interfacility transfers, but that's about it.

I highly reccomend getting at least 1 year's 911 experience before even considering Paramedic school. I don't know where you live, but Empress EMS is a great system to start out in.

Another vote for Empress, irregardless of where you live.

I lived 75 miles away and worked there for 7 years. I loved every minute of it.

Does anyone have any advice for EMT-B employment in Fairfield County? Specifically something part-time.

I'd be willing to travel to Westchester County (it's only 15 minutes away), but I have a connecticut EMT cert.

You know WAS, I was almost gonna say it, but decided to stay with the EMS career advice. WAS is right though. You'll have more fun as a first and second year medic, but life is SOOO much better as a nurse than a medic. Way better pay...WAY. It's insane what some of my nurse friends can make an hour. Up to 45 (up here) plus perks and diffs.

If I had it to do over...I would have gotten into the fire service MUCH sooner, and obtained my RN. Still might we'll see. Whatever you do, get into a system that does not do system status management. Sitting in a ambulance for 12 hours at a time ruins your back. RNs don't have to deal with that.