Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Status Of Larchmont's New Engine?

14 posts in this topic

I know Larchmont had an ALF Engine on order before all the troubles hit ALF.

Is Larchmont FD still expecting delivery from ALF (If so, when), and if not, have they selected another vendor?

A little bit off topic to excuse me but regarding American LaFrance, have they started production on preexisting orders yet? What is the status of the company. I know it has or was going to come out of Chapter 11 but I have not heard any news regarding its situation at all.

What happened to Yonkers ALF TL orders?

Edited by bvfdjc316

ALF has started to emerge out of Charter 11 bankruptcy protection. All of ALF fire truck construction will be taken place at the Hamburg, NY and the Elphrata, PA plants. The plant in South Carolina is set to be the chassis construction plan t for both fire and commercial ventures (as read in one report). There will be permanent and temporary layoff because of the exiting out of Chapter 11 protection and further re-structuring.

As for the orders, I believe all orders are still intact unless the purchaser canceled out. However I am not sure.

I did not even know that Scarsdale had ordered a new engine from ALF

Scarsdale ordered an ALF Engine???

I had a little bit of a brain-lapse. I mixed up Scarsdale and Larchmont.

One company announcement that I read stated that all orders that were bonded will be built. The only question is when. If an order was not bonded then it is not known if it the order will be honored. The ALF Dealer for this area (Garrison Fire) is now listed as a Ferrara Rep so that cannot bode well for Larchmont.

I noticed that too but I wouldn't put much stock in it. I have never seen a rep be a dealer for two companies as you could potentially be bidding against yourself. I don't have concrete confirmation but I would bet Garrison cut their losses and moved over to Ferrara. E-One never recoverred from their production problems from several years ago and their dealers suffered from it (how many E-One's have you seen delivered in the last few years). It will take some time for ALF to recover their reputation from bankruptcy before people are going to be willing to place an order for a $400k + fire apparatus. During this time Garrison needs to make sales in order to stay in business. If I were Ferrara, KME and Crimson, I would make a big push to steal ALF's market share while they are still in trouble. It's the smart thing to do.

It is the same in Canada.

Areo Fire has switched from ALF to Rosenbauer.

Darch Fire has switched from ALF to Pierce and these aren't changed on the dealer selector either.

Last I heard from Garrison, they were selling Ferrara in addition to, not instead of.

I noticed that too but I wouldn't put much stock in it. I have never seen a rep be a dealer for two companies as you could potentially be bidding against yourself. I don't have concrete confirmation but I would bet Garrison cut their losses and moved over to Ferrara.

Garrison is selling Ferrara, but is still covering ALF for outstanding orders.

It will take some time for ALF to recover their reputation from bankruptcy before people are going to be willing to place an order for a $400k + fire apparatus.

ALF is not taking new orders and if they remain open is questionable. Rumor has it that most of the suppliers including Hale, Waterious and FRC have stopped shipping unless its COD and full price.

ALF is not taking new orders and if they remain open is questionable. Rumor has it that most of the suppliers including Hale, Waterious and FRC have stopped shipping unless its COD and full price.

That is part of the Charter 11 filing process. ALF has to re-organize their assets, not to over order and build up more debt. So COD is protecting ALFs suppliers like Hale which produces the Twin-Flow pump still for ALF, ect. It would be a smart thing to go COD for parts and equipment if their trying to stay afloat.

This is the third time that ALF has gone through bankruptcy. Unfortunately it all ties back to Frieghtliner and the way ALF was sold off by them. That's were the problems began and continues now. The first time they were under bankruptcy proceedings was in 1984 when Figgie sold them off and Kearsey bought them. Then again in 1991/92 (?) when Kearsey dropped them and shut down production before Frieghtliner "saved" ALF. Seems like a vicious cycle for the company.

So, any word about Larchmont's Engines? There have been several ALF deliveries over the past few weeks, and I'm sure these are "catch up" orders that were near completion. Will we be seeing a new Engine in Larchmont anytime soon?

So, any word about Larchmont's Engines? There have been several ALF deliveries over the past few weeks, and I'm sure these are "catch up" orders that were near completion. Will we be seeing a new Engine in Larchmont anytime soon?

Delivery of cab and chassis to Hamburg is scheduled for February with a delivery date to Larchmont sometime in April.