Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Out and About...Missouri Style!

18 posts in this topic

For those of you who know me well, I hate flying. And in some cases, driving is better. So what's a guy to do when he's got 4 weeks of vacation with a few mutuals thrown in. You guessed it, it's Out and About time!!!!

I packed up the Rock Box and headed on out to see some kinfolk down in Caledonia, Missouri. It's about 80 miles southwest of St. Louis. Population, 158. After meeting up with my cousin, I went up to St. Louis to shoot a few of their rigs.

First up, Engine 11. Depending on who you ask, these guys are first due at the Anheuser-Busch brewery.

It's a 2000 Spartan Smeal. St Louis presently runs a total quint concept department, meaning the second due engine is actually going in as first due truck.

SLE-11.jpg

Here's Foam Unit 2. 1987 Pierce Arrow with a 50 foot Telesqurt.

SLFT-2.jpg

I headed over to Station 1, to get some pix and do a little T-shirt shopping. Depending on who you ask, these guys are first due at the Brewery. Rescue Squad 1 is also quartered here, but they were at a fire in a recycling plant across town.

SLE-1.jpg

They directed me to the dispatchers office, and on my way there, I hit the JACKPOT!!!!

They had a third alarm going, along with one or two other working fires when I rolled up on this one heading up Jefferson Avenue.

DSCF4547.jpg

This was the equivalent of an All Hands... The fire started on the roof and dropped down into the storage area.

DSCF4548.jpg

More coming...

Continuing with the job...

DSCF4550.jpg

Looking up Engine 7's Aerial

DSCF4551.jpg

Engine 2 putting up their stick.

DSCF4556.jpg

DSCF4553.jpg

DSCF4557.jpg

Here's a better shot of Engine 1.

SLE-1-2.jpg

Battalion 4 and unit 821. I'm not sure what these guys do.

SLBC4.jpg

SL821.jpg

After I got my fill of this, I went over to St. Louis Fire and EMS Dispatch. 1 Supervisor and 3 Dispatchers for the whole city, on either side.

Here's a beautiful statue of St. Florian.

StFlorian.jpg

Next Stop, the Brewery and Busch Stadium..

Since the dispatchers were quite busy, I decided to leave them the donuts and get outta Dodge. I headed back to my cousins and headed up to the Brewery the next day. After seeing how beer is made and massed produced, the scent reminded me of my days at the Waldbaums (now A n P) in Carmel, cleaning out the can crusher. Or, my friends back yard after one of his infamous birthday party keggers in Queens. Scored some pint glasses for my brother and some Clydesdale pictures and some Nascar related apparel photos, it was back to get more shirts and shots at Engine 1. This time the Rescue was in.

SLRS-1.jpg

After a little loving cajoling of my cousin, I got her to call the Caledonia Fire Chief, and he obliged me rather kindly.

CFD.jpg

Here's a tanker they are going to strip and use to replace the tank on the current tanker. Being a town with a population of 158, and maybe 2 dozen active members, it's automatic aid on everything.

6471.jpg

This is their new engine, a 2005 Freightliner with a Rosenbauer body.

6460.jpg

Wasn't sure if it was taking the place of this.

6461.jpg

Next stop, Busch Stadium, and the Downtown Divas???

So after thanking the Chief for his time, I headed up to Busch Stadium for a tour. Felt kind of strange waltzing through enemy territory like that, and my cousins kid extolling the name of Yadier Molina.

Here we find Engine 2. They are Quartered with Tower Ladder 6, Engine 23, Foam Truck 4, and Medic 2.

SLE-2.jpg

Here's Medic 2. I am still stunned that St. Louis only has like 12 or 13 Medic units in the entire city. I forgot to ask if they contract out for transports, etc.

SLM-2.jpg

And last but not least, we have Sarah and Patricia, the Downtown Divas of Medic 2 B Shift. They were kind enough to pose, and I got my cousin into the act with a picture of him sitting between them. Pretty fun for an 11 year old, I would hope.

Divas.jpg

Almost forgot the St. Louis Radio Car, sorry no assuming the position pix here.

SLPD.jpg

Edited by JBE

We headed back towards the middle of nowhere and stopped at Valle EMS in Jefferson County.

EMS7502.jpg

EMS7537.jpg

After saying my see ya laters the following morning, it was off to Arizona...Enjoy!!!

Nice pics so all that saint louis has is quints i'm a little confused about that and no shots of Anheuser-Busch brewery or Busch Stadium all that talking about them and no pics.And did you get to see the Cardinals play a game or did you just take a tour.

Just a tour and since this is a Fire/EMS/LE oriented site, why bother with the Baseball pictures?? St. Louis went to this Total Quint Concept a number of years back. From what I was told, they are going to go back to just engines and ladders, and keep one quint per battalion. The one thing I found interesting is that on a structural assignment there, the second due engine acts as a first due truck.

Edited by JBE

More GREAT Shots!!! Once again, thanks for sharing!!!

Greats shots, Jimmy. Always wanted to get to Saint Loo for some photos. Thanks for sharing.

A question - How much different is the H&L 4 from the quints - it looks like it has a pump... (at least to my untrained eye)

It looks like the quints were single axle with a 75 ft aerial. The rear mounts were dual axle and probably 100 or 105 ft.

Nice Shots and a great catch with the fire. What was actually burning?

Not exaclty sure. It started on the roof, and dropped down into that open area in the front of the building. They were getting water on it just as I was pulling up.