Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

CB Radio Channel 9

11 posts in this topic

While going through some of my things this afternoon, I came across an old Cobra CB radio that I have, which made me wonder.

Does any agency still actively monitor CB Channel 9?

Do truckers still even actively use CB?

Truckers are about it. It is very helpfull while traveling on the highways.

Yes, truckers still use them. As far as channel 9 goes, I don't know if anyone still monitors it. I know the NYS Bridge Authority used to, but I don't know if they still do.

I still have one for my pick-up. Someplace I think I might even have one from when they only had 23(?) channels. The current one I use has NOAA weather in it. Even if it's not turned on, the alert will sound (at full volume!) as long as the unit has power to it.

As an aside, a few years ago when I was driving truck over-the-road, I heard some drivers talking about another driver a few miles down the road who was asking for help and for someone to call 911 for a medical problem.

I was about 5 miles from him. When I got to the area I saw the truck on the side of the road and no else had stopped. Taking my chances (and "protection"), I went up to the driver. It only took a few seconds to realize he wasn't doing well. I called 911 and started assesment and vitals (I usually kept my jump kit with me) and stayed on scene until SP and EMS arrived.

While going through some of my things this afternoon, I came across an old Cobra CB radio that I have, which made me wonder.

Does any agency still actively monitor CB Channel 9?

Do truckers still even actively use CB?

Truckers still use them on the highways; some police agencies likewise monitor them; there's more and more people getting their ham radio license and using ham radio frequencies each year. Ham radio uses repeaters which CB doesn't normally use, so you can really listen in and chat with others regionally.

Breaker 19, Breaker 19....y'all got yer ears on....come back

Just came back from a trip down to West Virginia and not only were there signs stating that WVSP monitor it, but so does MD State Police, PA State Police. Some NYSP units in Orange County (Mostly NY State Thruway post cars).

Edited by PA Firefighter

there is a vol. group called R.E.A.C.T I forgot what it stands for. I know that about 5yrs ago there were just starting to become big in putnam/dutchess counties. They monitor both CB and H.A.M. radio for problems. they also help with traffic and radio comm. on large events/incidents

Alot of communities in CT have gotten their avid CB and Ham operators together to work with emergency management agencies, Danbury included.

Just came back from a trip down to West Virginia and not only were there signs stating that WVSP monitor it, but so does MD State Police, PA State Police. Some NYSP units in Orange County (Mostly NY State Thruway post cars).

Well, I can tell you that some NYSP cars have them. I have heard some of the CVE officers use them to get the attention of trucks.

I personally was contacted one day after I broke over the top of Stormville Mtn on I-84 @ 70. The trooper stayed right next to my trailer until I was able to slow down to 55. As he sped off, he called me and "advised" that I keep the speed down on the hills.

A guy I know, now an investigator, used to be in the CVE unit. He said troopers were allowed to put in CB's if they had permission from higher ups and they had to be installed by SP mechanics.

there is a vol. group called R.E.A.C.T I forgot what it stands for. I know that about 5yrs ago there were just starting to become big in putnam/dutchess counties. They monitor both CB and H.A.M. radio for problems. they also help with traffic and radio comm. on large events/incidents

REACT stands for Radio Emergency Associated Communication Team according to this website I Found about the Maryland React Council it tell's you about react and it says that they monitor channel 9 http://marylandreactcouncil.org/.And I've seen that Putnam REACT truck parked at 40 control on top of the parking garage it's like and ambulance with red lights on it i've never seen it go any place though.

Edited by texastom791