Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT. 22

Getting to know Kentland 33 (PGC)

46 posts in this topic

There has been numerous threads about Kentland 33 in Prince George County, Maryland. Some have been good and some not so good... I found this the other day and figured I would share this series of videos with everyone... 24 hours with Kentland. The videos give a great perspective on what they are all about and what really goes on down there. I found these videos on, The Battalion, Webisodes. There are 6 small videos.

http://www.thebattalion.tv/webisodes/kfc

Edited by LT. 22

I have watched them and they put a new one up on Fri. usually can't view it till Saturday. They also have San Fransico and Washington DC on the website. They switch off every week between putting up a new video for Kentland and Washington DC

I am impressed with this dept I have not seen anything bad about this dept. They look like a bunch of dedicated volunteer fireman

They are a good buch of guys. I know there Chief Tony and he is an outstanding fireman. Sadley one of there members passed away recently. He was also a great fireman. How about the Chief racking hose. You can find the good and bad with anything but I think they reminde us of the pride and tradition that is lacking in generation Y firfighters of today.

I am impressed with this dept I have not seen anything bad about this dept. They look like a bunch of dedicated volunteer fireman

Then you haven't seen or heard much. From what I've heard they are a bunch of primadonnas and clowns. They are a mix of off duty DCFD guys with no life and college kids who get their rocks off chasing fires rather than girls. I was, and still am a little buffy, but these guys take it to the extreme.

The community is a low income, low density cesspool similar to some towns on LI like Brentwood or Wyandanch. Nobody or very few members of the community are involved with Kentland. It is all whitebread suburban guys who spend their weekends or live at the firehouse.

Do these guys see fire? Yes and lots of it, but mostly at private dwellings and low rise town homes. Big deal. Its not like these guys are charging into OLT's and hi-rises. They are busy but dont get it twisted its not Report from Engine Co. 82.

Then you haven't seen or heard much. From what I've heard they are a bunch of primadonnas and clowns. They are a mix of off duty DCFD guys with no life and college kids who get their rocks off chasing fires rather than girls. I was, and still am a little buffy, but these guys take it to the extreme.

The community is a low income, low density cesspool similar to some towns on LI like Brentwood or Wyandanch. Nobody or very few members of the community are involved with Kentland. It is all whitebread suburban guys who spend their weekends or live at the firehouse.

Do these guys see fire? Yes and lots of it, but mostly at private dwellings and low rise town homes. Big deal. Its not like these guys are charging into OLT's and hi-rises. They are busy but dont get it twisted its not Report from Engine Co. 82.

Couldn't agree with you more...I have been aware of Kentland for a while now, and as far as I can see they are very good at one thing...self promotion...

I think its good that they share with others the good example they set and other volunteer departments should try to emulate them to the best of there ability. Good for them!

Couldn't agree with you more...I have been aware of Kentland for a while now, and as far as I can see they are very good at one thing...self promotion...

So if this is true, why was Pete Lund (RIP) a member down there then? I don't think a guy with that caliber would associate himself with people like that.

Couldn't agree with you more HOMERUN!!!!

Edited by ace84

I have read many posts about KVFD over the years and until now, I have kept quiet. I believe, however, that here I must set the record strait.

I don't know what you "hear" but I can tell you what I experienced as a member of KVFD from 1989 through 1991. In my 30 years in the fire service (in 5 states and 6 departments) as a FF, officer, and chief, I encountered fewer primadonnas or clowns in Kentland than anywhere else. The blowhards and BS artists (yes, we all have them, career or volunteer) simply did not hack it or were literally (and physically) thrown out. Yes, KVFD had (and probably still has) its share of eccentrics, but what it had no shortage of was heart, skill, dedication, and true commitment to professionalism on the line. Yes, there were quite a few members on the job with DCFD, as well as Fairfax, Montgomery, and Howard Counties, not to mention a few nut cases from FDNY who would car pool down from Brooklyn a weekend a month. What I loved about KVFD was it allowed me to do two shifts a week (Thursday evening & Sunday day) and still have get ample opportunities to fight fires (not to be confused with running calls). This allowed me and my brothers at 33 to spend the rest of the week on our "real lives,” including chasing girls, etc. Buffy? If going to multiple working jobs every week is buffy, yes I guess so. As to being "whitebread suburban guys," Dude, you are so wrong. KVFD was the most racially and economically diverse firehouse I have EVER seen ANYWHERE. We had quite a few members who grew up nearby in the Hood, and they were crucial in helping us get out of more than a few hairy situations in the projects. We had more African American members than any other firehouse I have ever seen, with the exception of PGFD station 38 (Chapel Oaks), which proudly proclaims itself as "Maryland's first all black fire department." No, there are not a lot of hirise structures in beautiful downtown Landover, but there was non-stop work in the projects, tax payers, commercial structures, and on the Beltway. No it wasn't Report from Engine Co. 82, but it was (and remains) busy and it was one of the hardest working group of dedicated professionals I have ever come across.

How are things at 33 now vs. in my day? I cannot say for certain. From what I hear, they are not too different. Yes, their website probably does attract some clowns and yes, they are (and we were) pretty darn cocky. Nevertheless, I would encourage you to visit and ridealong before passing judgment. If you can hack it, you will likely walk away very impressed by what you experience.

Nuff said.

Edited by CFI609D

I have read many posts about KVFD over the years and until now, I have kept quiet. I believe, however, that here I must set the record strait.

I don't know what you "hear" but I can tell you what I experienced as a member of KVFD from 1989 through 1991. In my 30 years in the fire service (in 5 states and 6 departments) as a FF, officer, and chief, I encountered fewer primadonnas or clowns in Kentland than anywhere else. The blowhards and BS artists (yes, we all have them, career or volunteer) simply did not hack it or were literally (and physically) thrown out. Yes, KVFD had (and probably still has) its share of eccentrics, but what it had no shortage of was heart, skill, dedication, and true commitment to professionalism on the line. Yes, there were quite a few members on the job with DCFD, as well as Fairfax, Montgomery, and Howard Counties, not to mention a few nut cases from FDNY who would car pool down from Brooklyn a weekend a month. What I loved about KVFD was it allowed me to do two shifts a week (Thursday evening & Sunday day) and still have get ample opportunities to fight fires (not to be confused with running calls). This allowed me and my brothers at 33 to spend the rest of the week on our "real lives,” including chasing girls, etc. Buffy? If going to multiple working jobs every week is buffy, yes I guess so. As to being "whitebread suburban guys," Dude, you are so wrong. KVFD was the most racially and economically diverse firehouse I have EVER seen ANYWHERE. We had quite a few members who grew up nearby in the Hood, and they were crucial in helping us get out of more than a few hairy situations in the projects. We had more African American members than any other firehouse I have ever seen, with the exception of PGFD station 38 (Chapel Oaks), which proudly proclaims itself as "Maryland's first all black fire department." No, there are not a lot of hirise structures in beautiful downtown Landover, but there was non-stop work in the projects, tax payers, commercial structures, and on the Beltway. No it wasn't Report from Engine Co. 82, but it was (and remains) busy and it was one of the hardest working group of dedicated professionals I have ever come across.

How are things at 33 now vs. in my day? I cannot say for certain. From what I hear, they are not too different. Yes, their website probably does attract some clowns and yes, they are (and we were) pretty darn cocky. Nevertheless, I would encourage you to visit and ridealong before passing judgment. If you can hack it, you will likely walk away very impressed by what you experience.

Nuff said.

Wow I must have touched a nerve! All I had to see was a helmet come out of the oven during the promo webisode and one word came to mind "tools". I'm sure these guys are good at what they do, fighting contents fires in private dwellings and pin jobs on the beltway, but to act like this bunch of 22 year olds with salty staches and scally caps are the most professional firemen you've ever seen is ludicrous. What a slap in the face to a lot of career and volly firemen all over the country who are also "doin it" on a regular basis. I also don't need the "BFD" stamp of approval about guys carpooling down there. I don't know how things are over in the 15th division but where I work if you had any association with these guys you would be laughed out of the kitchen.

Weaselff I agree with you 100% these guys are a bunch of buffs, I have heard many stories about their act, and most of them were not good. Off duty guys living in the firehouse, yeah that guys gotta life.

Other than the few isolated incidents I've heard of where their behavior has gotten alittle inappropriate, these guys seem like a bunch of really dedicated volunteers. Everyone complains about the "death of volunteerism" in our country, but when you find a group of hardcore guys like this, you redicule them. I don't think thats fair. People are so assume the worst of people's motives. So what if they are buffs? So what if they live in the firehouse? They get out the door, everytime. They get the fire out, everytime. As long as they are doing their jobs and they do it with an acceptable level of professionalism when it comes time to put in work, who cares?

Pride and agressiveness don't equal professionalism and I think that's my biggest issue with Kentland. As a fire officer my number one job is making sure myself and my crew goes home. Driving like lunitics to turn yourself from 3rd due to 1st and stretching your own line instead of filling out the stretch are not professional. Sure I want to go to fires and do my job as much as the next guy but I enjoy working where firefighters are professionals above buffs and if they are not the culture of the job and the senior men straighten things out. It's not about how your helmet looks or some flashly phrase on your rig.

All I had to see was a helmet come out of the oven during the promo webisode and one word came to mind "tools".

I haven't seen the video but I can tell you this: if somebody put a helmet in the oven when I was active w/KVFD, they would have been pushed in alongside! Anyway, all I can comment on is how it was in 1989-91, and it was a very committed and professional group of firefighters. Again, I have not watched the videos but back then it was about more than just pride and aggressiveness, and as 16fire5 correctly states, these qualities do not necessarily equate to professionalism alone. Salty helmets back then were the result of time and experience, not a "shake & bake" in the kitchen. Nor would stretching your own line instead of filling out the stretch EVER have been tolerated.

Wow I must have touched a nerve! All I had to see was a helmet come out of the oven during the promo webisode and one word came to mind "tools". I'm sure these guys are good at what they do, fighting contents fires in private dwellings and pin jobs on the beltway, but to act like this bunch of 22 year olds with salty staches and scally caps are the most professional firemen you've ever seen is ludicrous. What a slap in the face to a lot of career and volly firemen all over the country who are also "doin it" on a regular basis. I also don't need the "BFD" stamp of approval about guys carpooling down there. I don't know how things are over in the 15th division but where I work if you had any association with these guys you would be laughed out of the kitchen.

Did they laugh Pete Lund out of the kitchen? Was he a tool? No he wasn't he was probably the best fireman the FDNY will ever see. If you don't know people from Kentland don't bash anyone from Kentland. My best friend ran down there a few years ago and he's the nicest most down to earth person I have ever met. Don't get the wrong impression from videos that have been surfacing from 3 or 4 years ago. Get to know the people before you judge them.

PGFD station 38 (Chapel Oaks), which proudly proclaims itself as "Maryland's first all black fire department." come across.

Can anyone imagine a Dept. in NY proudly proclaiming itself as "New York's first all White FD". Imagine the $hit that would be stirred over that. I thought we were all equal and professional when it came to our job as firefighters, no?

Can anyone imagine a Dept. in NY proudly proclaiming itself as "New York's first all White FD". Imagine the $hit that would be stirred over that. I thought we were all equal and professional when it came to our job as firefighters, no?

Station 38 is no longer all black. It was organized back in the Jim Crow days when the PGFD was still segregated and African-American members were not welcome in most volunteer companies. They do remain, however, mostly black, and are a very well respected and busy company.

Did they laugh Pete Lund out of the kitchen? Was he a tool? No he wasn't he was probably the best fireman the FDNY will ever see. If you don't know people from Kentland don't bash anyone from Kentland. My best friend ran down there a few years ago and he's the nicest most down to earth person I have ever met. Don't get the wrong impression from videos that have been surfacing from 3 or 4 years ago. Get to know the people before you judge them.

Im not really bashing anyone from Kentland, Im just not all that impressed with them. Is it a requirement for me to bow down to the almighty altar of Kentland? This board is frequented by many FDNY, Yonkers, FDMV, NRFD etc Firemen that have been in and seen some crazy sh*t. Hell in our own backyards we have volly depts like Spring Valley, Brentwood and Central Islip and combo depts like Peekskill and Lake Mohegan that run their balls off day in and day out without the benefit of dorms to house out of state resident buffs. This isn't EMTIowa.com. If you think you are gonna impress guys here with Kentland 33 action you are sadly mistaken. I said it before, Kentland does run and are good at what they do, but they are not gods. Most of the guys I saw in the webisodes would wash out at the Rock on the mile and half run, let alone FST or motivation alley.

From what I heard Pete Lund (RIP) was a hell of a fireman, if he was involved with Kentland that was his business.

Hell in our own backyards we have volly depts like Spring Valley, Brentwood and Central Islip and combo depts like Peekskill and Lake Mohegan that run their balls off day in and day out without the benefit of dorms to house out of state resident buffs............Most of the guys I saw in the webisodes would wash out at the Rock on the mile and half run, let alone FST or motivation alley.

I don't think they are out to impress anybody; rather they are proud of what they do, the comraderie they have and just want to make it known to those who might be interested. The volunteer service is going to continue to evolve and most likely you'll see more of the so-called live-in bunk-ins. More and more volunteer fire districts are taking notice of what these progressive departments do and the success that many of them are having. As far as "wash out at the Rock on a mile and half run", I think most of them could care less. They are doing what they love best and most likely have no desire to be at the "Rock". Lets give them encouragement as opposed to negativity.

More and more volunteer fire districts are taking notice of what these progressive departments do and the success that many of them are having.

My original IFSTA Essentials book said that the primary goal of the fire service is to prevent and protect the community from fire.

It appears to me that Kentland is very impressed with the number of fires they have. This is not progressive. What are they doing to prevent all this fire?

I know most firefighters take an oath to protect the community. When Kentland refused to allow ALS units into there station to protect the community they showed me that they are to busy "playing" and could care less about the safety, health and well being of the citizens they are sworn to protect.

" When Kentland refused to allow ALS units into there station to protect the community they showed me that they are to busy "playing" and could care less about the safety, health and well being of the citizens they are sworn to protect."

I've been watching this thread and have fought commenting on some of the things said but the above is complete garbage..... The truth of the ambulance situation was they (PG County) wanted to put an ambulance in their house and also have the volunteers staff it as well....... They refused to accept the responsibility as their plate was full running all the calls they ran normally which includes first responder EMS..... What they did do is allow PG county to put a career staffed ALS ambulance in their fire station (which they own). I don't blame them at all for not wanting an ambulance..... It's not ignoring their community, it's reality.......Manning an ambulance is a lot of work.... And in the end the community won..... They now have a 24x7x365 PGC ALS unit to serve them and the members of KFD are glad to have them..........That's the fact's......

I have known of Kentland for years and heard a lot of different stories some good and some bad...... In August I made plans to go down to P.G. County and my first stop was the famed Kentland...... I wanted to find out for myself what Kentlands all about... I only rode with them for ~24hrs but I met and spoke with many of the guy's in the videos such as Chief Kelleher, Deputy Chief Mann, and "Maine Matt" (He's from Maine) and they all seemed like great guys who live,eat, and breathe the fire service.... I was going to post the photo's I took and the links to the video's but I decided not to as I figured the thread would get the response this thread did so why bother...... My suggestion to anybody that wants to be critical of Kentland (or anybody else) is to go down and ride with them...... They would be more than glad to accomidate you..... See for yourself why Pete Lund was a member there (I heard his name at least 10 times while I was there) and draw your own conclusions based on facts and first hand observations.... That's what I did........ Are they perfect? NO...... But neither is ANYBODY ELSE...... Obviously they're doing something right......They're still in business and doing something like 8000 calls a year.....

" When Kentland refused to allow ALS units into there station to protect the community they showed me that they are to busy "playing" and could care less about the safety, health and well being of the citizens they are sworn to protect."

I've been watching this thread and have fought commenting on some of the things said but the above is complete garbage..... The truth of the ambulance situation was they (PG County) wanted to put an ambulance in their house and also have the volunteers staff it as well....... They refused to accept the responsibility as their plate was full running all the calls they ran normally which includes first responder EMS..... What they did do is allow PG county to put a career staffed ALS ambulance in their fire station (which they own). I don't blame them at all for not wanting an ambulance..... It's not ignoring their community, it's reality.......Manning an ambulance is a lot of work.... And in the end the community won..... They now have a 24x7x365 PGC ALS unit to serve them and the members of KFD are glad to have them..........That's the fact's......

I have known of Kentland for years and heard a lot of different stories some good and some bad...... In August I made plans to go down to P.G. County and my first stop was the famed Kentland...... I wanted to find out for myself what Kentlands all about... I only rode with them for ~24hrs but I met and spoke with many of the guy's in the videos such as Chief Kelleher, Deputy Chief Mann, and "Maine Matt" (He's from Maine) and they all seemed like great guys who live,eat, and breathe the fire service.... I was going to post the photo's I took and the links to the video's but I decided not to as I figured the thread would get the response this thread did so why bother...... My suggestion to anybody that wants to be critical of Kentland (or anybody else) is to go down and ride with them...... They would be more than glad to accomidate you..... See for yourself why Pete Lund was a member there (I heard his name at least 10 times while I was there) and draw your own conclusions based on facts and first hand observations.... That's what I did........ Are they perfect? NO...... But neither is ANYBODY ELSE...... Obviously they're doing something right......They're still in business and doing something like 8000 calls a year.....

We don't have to "ride" with them to have an opinion. The very fact that they "would be more than glad to accomodate" anyone who just shows up for a "ride along" is just one more reason for my opinion that they are an embarrasment to the fire service, are dangerous to other fire companies they operate alongside of, and are more interested in showing off and playing fireman than serving their community.

I like Statistics, they help show what trends are. Granted often there are minor errors, but they help to give a general overview.

According to the PGFD 2007 Annual Report (from PGFD website)

Kentland 33 had 5,287 EMS calls and 1,901 FIRE calls in 2007.

Total 7,188

74% EMS

26% Fire (plus all other calls)

Interesting that Kentland 33's site brages about how busy they are (claiming 7,200 runs) but there is no mention that 74% is EMS. I guess they would not be that impressive to the buffs if that was there.

Also interesting that the Fire to EMS call ratio is the same for 33 as for the rest of PG county.

The Rescue Engine responded 1,815

Engine 4,439

Mini 3,255

Tower 947

I don't like statistics, because they are manipulated by people with bad attitudes trying to make a point.

Where is the percentage of how many working fires they had that year vs. the number of alarms? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 74% EMS seems on point with any other fire department, FDNY included. Nobody is saying they don't do the regular calls like the rest of them, but they manage to advertise fairly well. Look how much people talk about them?

Edited by SageVigiles

I like Statistics, they help show what trends are. Granted often there are minor errors, but they help to give a general overview.

According to the PGFD 2007 Annual Report (from PGFD website)

Kentland 33 had 5,287 EMS calls and 1,901 FIRE calls in 2007.

Total 7,188

74% EMS

26% Fire (plus all other calls)

Interesting that Kentland 33's site brages about how busy they are (claiming 7,200 runs) but there is no mention that 74% is EMS. I guess they would not be that impressive to the buffs if that was there.

Also interesting that the Fire to EMS call ratio is the same for 33 as for the rest of PG county.

The Rescue Engine responded 1,815

Engine 4,439

Mini 3,255

Tower 947

Thats funny since according to the Brentwood LI FD website they average 1600 runs a year, with no EMS. I know because the EMS in that neighborhood is handled by Brentwood Legion Ambulace. Wow a dept as busy as Kentland in our own backyard that doesn't need a dormful full of out of state workers to get the job done.

Hey JFLYNN I used to think like you until I did a ridealong with Kentland and let me tell you they are the most neato fire department around! When I first got there I met the proby "Maine Matt" he was so cool! In the first hour we went on a car fire and then to a cigarette smoldering in a garbage can, the flames were INTENSE! I saw real fire! When we got back to the fire station me and "Maine Matt" ate a whole box of pop tarts cause we need the energy to fight fires all night. "Maine Matt" then showed me the proper temperature to set the oven to make my leather helmet more salty looking. It was so cool I cant wait to show all my friends! After that I talked to this other guy. He wore a scally cap like old time firefighters in New York City! He said on his off days he likes to go to clubs and dance with other guys, I thought that was weird, but he was such an awesome firefighter I didn't care. He even asked me to go with him when my 24 hour ridealong was finished!!! Later that night we went to 3 automatic fire alarms and then the topper was a roaring chimney fire! Before we put it out "Maine Matt" put his helmet upside down on top of the chimney. He said thats what all the toughest firefighters do! In the morning I met the fire chief, and let me tell you he was just as cool as everybody else! He gave me an application and said as soon as my peach fuzz could grow into a real handlebar mustache I could join too!!! My trip to Kentland was so totally cool!!!

HAHAHALOL...You nailed it brother...it's not really even about Kentland is it? Rather, how out of touch with reality some of our other brothers are, hero worship of places like Kentland AND OF COURSE, OH MY, FDNY!!!(which for the record is a great department and one on which I have many friends, active and retired)...these guys (the out of touch with reality buffs, not necessarily all buffs) will, apparently never get past that immature stage of the young kid who dresses up like a firefighter and goes to visit his heroes in the local firehouse and has no concept of what the job is all about other than flashing lights and sirens, and fireman "costumes" i.e. all the FDNY and other buff paraphenilia that they can't seem to leave home without...it will never change and, to me, it's the most annoying thing about being a member of the fire service...

Hey, how many times has one of you guys been somewhere, a restaurant or whatever, having a nice time, and one of these aforementioned brothers walks in, all decked out in FDNY garb, big beer belly hanging out over his multiple pagers, and you just cringe?

Can't you see yourselves brothers???????

I don't like statistics, because they are manipulated by people with bad attitudes trying to make a point.

Are you saying I have a bad attitude? :rolleyes:

Where is the percentage of how many working fires they had that year vs. the number of alarms?

It appears that information is not listed, I wonder why?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 74% EMS seems on point with any other fire department, FDNY included.

In 2007 FDNY Suppression did 207,677 EMS calls which is 42% of 490,767 calls they did. If you look at FDNY-BEMS the % are higher, but then you'd also have to add PGFD's EMS Division as well.

Nobody is saying they don't do the regular calls like the rest of them, but they manage to advertise fairly well. Look how much people talk about them?

They just forgot to mention that EMS is a majority of what they do.

People are talking about them because they are either very impressed or feel they are an embarrassment to the fire service

HAHAHALOL...You nailed it brother...it's not really even about Kentland is it? Rather, how out of touch with reality some of our other brothers are, hero worship of places like Kentland AND OF COURSE, OH MY, FDNY!!!(which for the record is a great department and one on which I have many friends, active and retired)...these guys (the out of touch with reality buffs, not necessarily all buffs) will, apparently never get past that immature stage of the young kid who dresses up like a firefighter and goes to visit his heroes in the local firehouse and has no concept of what the job is all about other than flashing lights and sirens, and fireman "costumes" i.e. all the FDNY and other buff paraphenilia that they can't seem to leave home without...it will never change and, to me, it's the most annoying thing about being a member of the fire service...

Hey, how many times has one of you guys been somewhere, a restaurant or whatever, having a nice time, and one of these aforementioned brothers walks in, all decked out in FDNY garb, big beer belly hanging out over his multiple pagers, and you just cringe?

Can't you see yourselves brothers???????

I really liked all the guys name dropping FDNY in their defense of Kentland like it means something to someone who is already on the job. Don't get me wrong, Im as a big a buff as anybody. There will always be a little kid inside me that likes to see big red trucks racing down the street, but I got over the hero worship of FDNY and places like Kentland about the time I was old enough to get a drivers liscence. I would never go down there and stroke these guys egos when I am justifiably proud of my own achievements in both the civilian world and in the fire service. I am living my dream in a "middle of the road" FDNY engine company that racks up 3000+ runs a year. Maybe those aren't Kentland numbers...but those guys are never carrying roll ups and a standpipe kit 11 flights in the PJ's and then going to work. They also didnt go through hell at the rock, or get their balls busted by psychotic maniacs for their entire probationary period, or have to worry about jobs in hi-rises undergoing various phases of construction, demolition and renovation. This isn't even getting into terrorist threats.

I rest my case, and I am putting this slow motion car wreck of a thread to bed.

By the way Yonkers FD is top notch, my Dad's cousin was a Yonkers Firemen for 30 years. I also have a few family friends that are or were on the job. All great guys and really into the job.

Photo unit, you seem to defend Kentland based on your recent visit. I believe you also recently visited Hyattesville correct. Why dont you ask the brothers of Hyattesville what they think of Kentland, or what the majority of companies in the PG area think. If everyone around you thinks your a D@#$ then maybe its time to look in the mirror. Those guys in Kentland have a reputation and level of unprofessionalism that proceeds them throughout the county, Im told.