Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Firefighter FTO's

10 posts in this topic

I know both PD and EMS use and assign FTO's (Field Training Officers) to train "rookies" or whatever you want to call them.

For the fire service, as far as I'm aware, most departments use a "group" approach, which now that I look back at, I don't think it's the best idea.

Assigning a specific firefighter who's qualified to be an FTO would give some consistency in training and standards. It works well for PD and EMS, and Comm Centers, so why not FD?

In PD and EMS members generally work in pairs or alone. A single FTO is all that is practical. As ff's you are trained to work as part of a larger team. Establishing that group mentality early is important where as independence is more important in PD and EMS.

I know both PD and EMS use and assign FTO's (Field Training Officers) to train "rookies" or whatever you want to call them.

For the fire service, as far as I'm aware, most departments use a "group" approach, which now that I look back at, I don't think it's the best idea.

Assigning a specific firefighter who's qualified to be an FTO would give some consistency in training and standards. It works well for PD and EMS, and Comm Centers, so why not FD?

In order to have the consistency in training and standards you need to have someone who would have the credentials to do the training. Perhaps in a career setting it would work because most likely the dept would use a MTO or line officer who has the certs to do it. In a volunteer setting unless someone has the certs it may not work.

I have to agree that FTOs are not really practical, and to some extent would hamper the "team" approach necessary in firefighting.

From a practicality standpoint you would have to have at least one FTO to ride the rig with their probie. I think an extra body on the rig could be put to better use. And the FTO could not be another "regular" FF assigned to that rig, as his responsibility would be to train the probie, not carry out an assigned task or position on the fireground.

Real world OTJ trainng has traditionally been accomplished by the officers and crew to which a probie is assigned, and has served the fire service well. The team learns the strengths and weaknesses of their new team member, directs their training to meet the needs of the crew, and watches over them...along with a good dose of ball busting. The same applies for VFDs just on a broader scale, since the "crew" usually varies the membership as a whole generaly becomes the "team".

Taking a probie under your wing is fine, and I know sometimes FFs are even assigned the task of mentoring the "new" guy, but never at the expense of crew integrity. Unlike most other careers/services, firefighting is ALWAYS a team effort and it is the team/crew that should do the majority of the training of it's newer members to ensure maximum unity and cohesion.

Just my $.02

Cogs

I thought traditionally the senior man and the officer filled that role.

I agree with 791, the senior man and/or company officer have the primary responsibility to train probies. However, the group approach is probably the best way, since a new firefighter could be paired with anyone on the company, he may not be with his actual "FTO" when the fecal matter hits the rapidly rotating climate control device.

Not a bad thought, and I'm pretty much with everyone else. While a true FTO system might not work overly well with the fire service as a whole...having a individual mentor still would work.

The fire officer has the ultimate responsibility to ensure that probationary personal are being trained and supervised appropriately. Whether that means doing it directly himself or by putting the probie with the best and most qualified person on shift to do so. That being a person who not only knows his s***....but also a person that can be a mentor and be that one person that probie knows he can come to and would want to come to with any questions or issues.

Not a bad thought, and I'm pretty much with everyone else. While a true FTO system might not work overly well with the fire service as a whole...having a individual mentor still would work.

Our department has exactly that system; new members are assigned a specific individual mentor of line officer rank while they learn the ropes. That worked well for me - it's good to have someone you know has responsibility for dumb newbie questions, checking your progress, giving you feedback, and generally settling you down. I think that's a lot more practical than having an FTO-type system for the fire service, especially for the volunteer fire service.

Mike

Edited by abaduck

I can certainly understand the team approach and the benefit of learning stuff from those that are best versed in their particular subject of expertise but there should be someone, a mentor, an FTO, an officer, that the probie can go to for guidance or clarification and who can monitor progress and insure that all the required subject matter is being covered. I think the program proposed by abaduck is a good one.

The other thing that I'd say about the "field training" concept no matter how its handled is DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT! Make sure that the training that is covered is documented so everyone knows what has been covered and what doesn't need to be covered again or what still requires more emphasis to insure competency.

Without oversight and documentation three different guys in the group may cover "A" and "B" thinking that C is being covered when in fact it hasn't been.

Good topic!