Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xchief2x

Blue Lights for all emergency service vehicles

19 posts in this topic

Being somewhat new to the forums I am not sure if I am psoting in the proper area. However, when the state legisaltors in their infinite wisdom changed the NYS V&T law to allow 1 blue light on the REAR of police vehicles why weren't all emergency service vehicles included? I mean after all if is is safer for them whay isn't it safer for all of us? Maybe fire & EMS were asleep at the wheel on this one and maybe we should request the law be changed for all emergency service vehicles.

Being somewhat new to the forums I am not sure if I am psoting in the proper area. However, when the state legisaltors in their infinite wisdom changed the NYS V&T law to allow 1 blue light on the REAR of police vehicles why weren't all emergency service vehicles included? I mean after all if is is safer for them whay isn't it safer for all of us? Maybe fire & EMS were asleep at the wheel on this one and maybe we should request the law be changed for all emergency service vehicles.

I believe this was discussed in another forum at length. I dont think all emergency vehicles were included because it wasnt written that way to my understanding. I do know there was a big deal made by FASNY to stop this bill from passing. They cited it a safety issue. I believe it was a turf issue.

That was my point anything that improves safety I am all for it, but there should not be a blue light behing you the law allowed it for the rear only. I remember when the SP started adding an amber on the rear it decreased their accidents when troopers were on the shoulder with a V&T stop or an accident, if it makes it safer for police cars whay wouldn't it be safer for all emergency vehicles?

As per New York State Law, Blue lights are a curtosiy light that only always Volunteer firefighters to cross the fire line. It does not give the power to drive fast, run lights or any other traffic infraction. Also, a private car is not classified as a emergabncy vehicle

firepunk you are 100% correct it is a courtesy light which means if the car in front of you wants to get out of your way they can, it doesn't make your POV an emergency vehicle, it does not give you the right to speed or blow red lights or stop signs but then again driving apparatus you don't really have that right either if you drive with due regard.

Hey all! Let's stay on topic. The issue is whether or not legislation should be passed or amended authorizing rear facing blue lights on all emergency vehicles. Currently only police vehicles are authorized for such a display.

Posts off topic or in violation of the forum rules have been deleted to keep this discussion on topic. If anyone wants to start a discussion about fraternal organizations and their effectiveness, please do so in another thread.

Thanks!

I've seen a number of new delivered rigs with some rear mounted Blue Lights as well as Blue on the light bars.

firepunk you are 100% correct it is a courtesy light which means if the car in front of you wants to get out of your way they can, it doesn't make your POV an emergency vehicle, it does not give you the right to speed or blow red lights or stop signs but then again driving apparatus you don't really have that right either if you drive with due regard.

You are 100% correct youself. For that matter ALL Emergency vehicles have to obey all traffic laws. That was not what I was saying. Also Chris I did not mean to steer from the topic. Blue lights were installed in the rear to eliminate the confusion of red flashers with brake lights. If you remember when the trooper was killed on int87. This is why the law was passed. What I stated was not for being taken out of context. As per your quote" It is a courtesy light for if the car in front of you wants to get out of your way they can", what is the need for a rear mount light. I can care less, but they are more important issues at hand in the fire service than just blue lights. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I have been an avid supporter of all emergency vehicles getting permission from the State of NY to have blue lights on the rear of their vehicles.

To go even further, I think that all emergency vehicles should be permitted to have blue lights on the front of their vehicles along with red and/or white. NJ permits blue on the font and rear of all emergency vehicles in combination with red and white. ALL volunteers (EMS & FD) use straight blue on their POVs. In states outside of NY, green flashing lights are used to signify a command post.

Many FD & EMS vehicles in NY have already put rear facing blue lights on their vehicles. Some have even gone as far as putting at least one forward facing blue light on thier vehicles. Regardless of the law, I think this is a step in the right direction.

Yonkers PD has been running blue and red for many years now. Are they exempt from the blue light law due to a city ordinance?

Many FD & EMS vehicles in NY have already put rear facing blue lights on their vehicles. Some have even gone as far as putting at least one forward facing blue light on thier vehicles. Regardless of the law, I think this is a step in the right direction.

Regardless of the law, I think rigs should speed up when coming up to a red light, because the faster you go thru the intersection, the less likel you are to get hit.

Dont ignore the law because you dont like it. Work to change it.

Yonkers PD has been running blue and red for many years now. Are they exempt from the blue light law due to a city ordinance?

City ordinances cant supersede NYS Law. It appears that YPD just decided to either ignore the law or they were above the law.

Hey all! Let's stay on topic. The issue is whether or not legislation should be passed or amended authorizing rear facing blue lights on all emergency vehicles. Currently only police vehicles are authorized for such a display.

I believe it should be amended for all emergency vehicles.

I believe it should be amended for all emergency vehicles.

Absolutly they should be allowed. they stand out more in the dark. as for Vols having them in personal vehicles is not needed as stated before it is only a courtesy light to cross the fire line.

Absolutly they should be allowed. they stand out more in the dark. as for Vols having them in personal vehicles is not needed as stated before it is only a courtesy light to cross the fire line.

The blue lights also function at times, (although not as frequently as one would expect) as a 'courtesy' light; where people will pull to the side to let a responder do just that.

Having other agencies use them might "trick" people into actually pulling over and expidite our arrival to an emergency.

Right now, most people don't pul aside because it is, "just a volunteer" not realizing or putting 2 and 2 together that we are the ones who work the big red truck.

The blue lights also function at times, (although not as frequently as one would expect) as a 'courtesy' light; where people will pull to the side to let a responder do just that.

Having other agencies use them might "trick" people into actually pulling over and expidite our arrival to an emergency.

Right now, most people don't pul aside because it is, "just a volunteer" not realizing or putting 2 and 2 together that we are the ones who work the big red truck.

You are correct again in regards for pulling over and let the POV pass. I did not or will not deny that what so ever. But the question remains WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A BLUE LIGHT IN THE REAR OF A PERSONAL CAR? The blue "courtesy" light is to cross the fire line, it is also a courtesy for drivers to let the car pass as stated by you and others. And yes, I understand the you are the ones operating the BRT's at scenes in vol areas. Again, I am not knocking vols at all as asumed in prior post. I do not or will not knock vols. One thing that I will not tollerate nor should anyone for that matter have a operator with a blue light to speed and flash the light when not responding to a emregency call. I have witnessed to many times operators flash there light, fly by and then shut it off. That is BS. But this subject at hand is for blue lights in the rear. Read my prior post to why the blue lights are on the rear decks of Police cruisers. May he rest in peace, but it is for Trooper Robert Ambrose. Read this link in regards to why. The committee recommended fuel suppresion systems and blue lights to safe card the PD for doing there jobs safer. http://www.nystpba.org/pages/public/showPu...asp?news_id=563

Unfortuantely many people have that mindset "Just a Volunteer", and sit right on 30mph, and don't think that "Hey maybe they are going to my house". I had that happen about 10 years ago, followed a guy with my 'green' light going for about 5 miles, right up his driveway to his house.. Ambulance was already on location, I didn't wait for him to say something when I got out of the car, I took care of the patient.. Bet the guy had second thoughts about letting EMS/Fire members go by after that day.

Green and Blue are Courtesy Lights, But the public needs to be acknowledge they are responding to an emergency, not on a sunday drive in the park.. thier destination maybe to help someone they know and love..

I really could care less whether or not any fire apparatus or ambulance has a blue light on it...right now or next week or next century.

Why is it important to law enforcement...because during their enforcement activities they don't have the ability to do many of the things we have the ability to do (and which many departments I see still do not) to protect themselves. The fact of the matter is, one of the top safety things we can do when operating on a road way is to turn off many of the lights we have on and illuminate the scene. Set up buffer zones with road cones and flares to maximize safety through the area we are working. We also have much more lighting options as some of you with your laser light shows well know to improve our visibility by adding amber in effective means where again a RMP doesn't without getting to the point of ridiculousness with lights. That officer has his single vehicle and perhaps a back up unit to protect him as best as possible on a traffic stop scenario. Most other scenes they use flares and wear traffic vests to improve their visibility.

Maximize your other resources before we worry about adding blue to the light bars...and even if you did you still have to comply with the lighting requirements of NFPA 1901 which long before having "blue" anywhere on a lightbar or another lighting source on the apparatus, I hope they add the visibility striping which looking at Europes numbers work extremely well!

So wake me up....(yawn) when some of the organizations out there fight for more funding for training in response to having curriculums that actually meet the needs of the fire service in this state.

well said Tom, I understand the amber and blue on the rear of RMp's simply because I drove 1 for 20 years and often times the car was my only protection, sometimes a back up unit would also show up. As I said earlier on in a post when the SP added the 1 amber on their lightbars it drasticaly cut down on accidents involving their units on a stop or an mva. I also understand that they police are on the roads more the the other emergency services. I think the chevrons are a great idea, I remember when I was still a cop and I was in charge of the vehicles we started putting scitchlite striping on our cars one of my sergeants asked me what they h*ll are you thinkgin now peopl can see us when we are trying to hide.