Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sklov5949

Poughkeepsie Fire Put Out With No Water

10 posts in this topic

We had a fire like that once. If thats what you want to call it. LOL.It was in the winter so all the windows were closed, and when the family ran out they closed the door behind them. No water was used, Maybe a little bit from a can. Alot of smoke and heat and it melted the microwave that was a room away from the source.

Back in the early 80's there was a fire at the Stoffer's Inn in Purchase, killed I think over 20 people, but was put before the 1st fire company showed up

Someone is VERY lucky they didnt open the door at the wrong time...............

As said before, they are lucky no one opened the door sooner...still kinda cool though.

One of my instructors once told me-you can put any fire out with a garden watering can---once in the begining stage and the other in the smouldering stage. Its the inbetween times that we earn our money and do our job.

All FIRES go out eventually, whether it be a small fire snuffed out by a lack fo oxygen to survive off or the one that goes without the fire department ever responding and it burns up all the combustible materials. All FIRES will eventually go out, with or without fire departments help.

Really good thing that the individual that found the remians of that fire didn't maybe open the door a couple hours earlier, or they may have been charcoal today.

Time for an alarm system?

On the topic of automatic alarms-- NEVER THINK THAT "PESKY" AUTOMATIC ALARM IS JUST ANOTHER FALSE ALARM.

I've seen a couple of articles now on 'Ventilation Controlled Fires'. The most recent article was in one of the Fire Magazines, I forget which one though.

This article was talking about the fire curve and which side is the fire on (before or after free-burning stage). As others have said - in this situation breaking windows, opening doors could have been just the thing to cause a backdraft.

What I took away was that with light smoke, you should look for other signs, blackended windows, signs of high heat, witness reports of flames showing previously. The other thing in general, is to control the urge :) to ventilate and take out all the windows!