Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

N.Y. moves to encourage volunteerism

8 posts in this topic

"The state launched a volunteerism Web site this week, and Gov. David Paterson added a position to his Cabinet in an effort to spur volunteers in New York.

By visiting Volunteer, people can find volunteer opportunities by county, ZIP code and subject category, such as human services, public safety, animals and environment..........New York is the second state in the nation to have a Cabinet position to address community service, a Paterson spokeswoman said. California was the first, she said....................New York has one of the lowest rates of volunteerism in the country at 20.1 percent of the population, according to a 2007 report by the Corporation for National & Community Service. The only state with a lower rate over a three-year period was Nevada (17.5 percent). The highest was Utah (45.9 percent). The national average was 27 percent of adults............The initiative to increase volunteerism and post opportunities on the Web is fantastic, said John Ravitz, chief executive officer of the American Red Cross, Westchester County Chapter. Volunteers make up 96 percent of the group's work force, and the chapter wants to increase its volunteers from 500 to 1,000 in three years, he said........"

From http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS05/809130356

Interesting article. I wonder if they count volunteer ff's & EMS into there numbers? Also I went to there web site and found no EMS agencies and only 2 Fire Depts in Westchester advertising that they need volunteers. I guess either no one knows the state is trying to push this or agencies don't want "outsiders" joining.

"The state launched a volunteerism Web site this week, and Gov. David Paterson added a position to his Cabinet in an effort to spur volunteers in New York.

By visiting www.newyorkersvolunteer.org, people can find volunteer opportunities by county, ZIP code and subject category, such as human services, public safety, animals and environment..........New York is the second state in the nation to have a Cabinet position to address community service, a Paterson spokeswoman said. California was the first, she said....................New York has one of the lowest rates of volunteerism in the country at 20.1 percent of the population, according to a 2007 report by the Corporation for National & Community Service. The only state with a lower rate over a three-year period was Nevada (17.5 percent). The highest was Utah (45.9 percent). The national average was 27 percent of adults............The initiative to increase volunteerism and post opportunities on the Web is fantastic, said John Ravitz, chief executive officer of the American Red Cross, Westchester County Chapter. Volunteers make up 96 percent of the group's work force, and the chapter wants to increase its volunteers from 500 to 1,000 in three years, he said........"

From http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS05/809130356

Interesting article. I wonder if they count volunteer ff's & EMS into there numbers? Also I went to there web site and found no EMS agencies and only 2 Fire Depts in Westchester advertising that they need volunteers. I guess either no one knows the state is trying to push this or agencies don't want "outsiders" joining.

It seems to me most vfd's and vac's are bending over backwards to allow anyone with a pulse to join if they are somewhat interested. I have heard of a few local departments that are still turning people away, like it was the old days when local youth were beating down the door to ride the backstep.

One hand wants us the other????

From The Firemen’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE www.fasny.com

Media Contacts:

Liz Burke, (212) 981-5263 / liz_burke@dkcnews.com

Sid M. Dinsay, (212) 981-5166 / sid.dinsay@dkcnews.com

Robert Leonard: 212-981-5113; Robert_Leonard@dkcnews.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STATE FIREMEN’S ASSOCIATION REACTS TO VETO OF LEGISLATION AIMED AT VOLUNTEER FIRE/EMS RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION

Albany, NY (Sept. 12th, 2008) - Governor Paterson’s veto of a key piece of legislation that would have allowed local governments to offer property tax reductions to their volunteers in addition to the State’s $200 personal income tax credit program drew strong criticism today from the association representing more than 130,000 volunteer firefighters and EMS responders.

“This veto directly impacts the recruitment and retention efforts of local fire and EMS agencies, and has happened at a time when the record prices for gasoline are a major cost factor for volunteers, who are already giving of their own time and resources,” said Firemen’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY) President Thomas J. Cuff, Jr.

The new legislation was designed to correct issues in a previously enacted law allowing volunteers to receive a $200 personal income tax credit from the State - but only if they were not receiving a property tax benefit from their local municipality. This caveat forced many volunteers to perform a series of complicated calculations each year to determine which benefit they wished to receive. It often led to volunteers undertaking a complex and onerous process of filing additional tax documents, depending on the outcome of those calculations.

In his veto memo on the legislation, the Governor cited an indirect cost associated with the new bill that was at odds with the State’s current financial issues.

Cuff reacted, “In citing this potential 1.6 million dollar financial impact on the State, both the Governor and his Counsel’s office have completely ignored the billions of dollars in payroll and benefits alone that would have to be paid by local governments if they were forced to replace our dedicated volunteers with paid staff.”

The Legislature passed the legislation, sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo and Assemblyman Bill Magee, in June. The Governor’s veto message suggested FASNY should have first approached the Governor’s Division of Budget before advancing legislation with a financial impact through the State Legislature. This is the first time FASNY has ever encountered this type of objection.

The legislation dealing with a $200 personal income tax credit, and certain necessary adjustments, has been before Governors Pataki, Spitzer and most recently Paterson. Cuff stated, “It is shocking that we are being asked in a veto message, to go to the Governor first before working with the Legislature to address our recruitment and retention issues.”

FASNY’s legislative focus has been on augmenting the ranks of volunteer fire and EMS responders for more than 100 years. Local governments have their own interaction with their volunteers and frequently create educational incentives, property tax reductions and other initiatives designed to garner more volunteers.

“Governor Paterson’s veto overlooks the desires of counties and other local government entities to provide their own volunteers with incentives. It also attempts to balance the state budget at the expense of the localities and those volunteers who serve them,” said Cuff.

The current economy has placed a premium on the value provided by local volunteer emergency responders. Efficiencies in local governments have also been a focal point over the past several years. Volunteers create efficiencies and provide valuable services that would have to be replaced at an enormous cost borne solely by local property taxes. Volunteers have customarily approached both the State and local Legislatures for assistance in funding and other operational necessities such as training funds for new recruits.

The Firemen’s Association has great concerns regarding the suggestion that it should first go to the Governor’s Division of Budget on legislative matters that may impact the State’s budget. Cuff said, “The State’s budget is only one consideration here, which must be balanced with the volunteers’ responsibility for the safety and welfare of eighty percent of the State’s geography. Legislators in the 57 counties where volunteers are providing fire and EMS have an opinion regarding their locality and we intend to continue to approach them with our problems and concerns.”

One hand wants us the other????

One hand wants "volunteers" the other hand is against paying for them.

"To demonstrate his continued support, Governor Paterson appointed his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson as the Honorary Chair. First Lady Paige Paterson has long been involved with solving community problems, along with her husband. She is a role model and active supporter of service and volunteering to the citizens of New York State."

from http://newyorkersvolunteer.org/CommissionI...issionInfo.aspx

Look the governor is willing to give his wife and all you want are his hands

Edited by Bnechis

One hand wants "volunteers" the other hand is against paying for them.

Typical politician. On the fence. With the regards to this statement:

“This veto directly impacts the recruitment and retention efforts of local fire and EMS agencies, and has happened at a time when the record prices for gasoline are a major cost factor for volunteers, who are already giving of their own time and resources,” said Firemen’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY) President Thomas J. Cuff, Jr."

I fail to see how the veto impacts the recruitment and retention effort anymore than it is impacted. I think times were better when we got nothing but a picnic and t-shirt along with a thank you. Mccain and Obama were on talking on TV the other night about national service and I believe Mccain said allthough he favors incentives you can't take away the reason for volunteering which is to serve.

Typical politician. On the fence. With the regards to this statement:

“This veto directly impacts the recruitment and retention efforts of local fire and EMS agencies, and has happened at a time when the record prices for gasoline are a major cost factor for volunteers, who are already giving of their own time and resources,” said Firemen’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY) President Thomas J. Cuff, Jr."

I fail to see how the veto impacts the recruitment and retention effort anymore than it is impacted. I think times were better when we got nothing but a picnic and t-shirt along with a thank you. Mccain and Obama were on talking on TV the other night about national service and I believe Mccain said allthough he favors incentives you can't take away the reason for volunteering which is to serve.

I agree with you Andy, I do not see how the incentives will help , Besides if you get the credit ,rebate , what ever they want to call it ,the State , Town are short the money so they raise it somewhere else and we still are paying the same if not more.

The price of Gas is not stopping me from going on calls.

I don't think it is hypocritical at all. The Governor wants people to VOLUNTEER. He's not enacting a billion dollar pork barrel for FASNY or any other special interest groups lobbying for their causes while at the same time cutting state programs and services. We've debated the cost/benefit/effectiveness/etc. of all kinds of "incentives" before so I'm not going to get into that again. As for a cabinet-level position dealing with the volunteer sector, I think it is a great idea.

I have to say that lately I have seen ALOT of departments in westchester turning on themselves.... by creating new rules for some people along with a double standard... yea evil words but it happens.

The biggest thing I have seen is that volunteer agencys have been tending to turn away people that are in college because they go to school and can only be around on the weekends and can't respond too much at night. But are very dependible durning the summer months when others go on vaccations.... I thought any form of help in a volunteer agency was good but I guess not. Its sad to see that they are treated different because they are trying to better themselves.. its hard to get a good paying job with out a degree these days. seems like gas goes up and salaries go down.