Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Pound Ridge Parade

29 posts in this topic

Pound Ridge has their 75th anniversary parade scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday 9/27. The weather dosen't look so good. What do you think? Will they get it in?

Edited by EJS1810

Cancelled moved to Sunday at 1pm Thats all i know

I just heard someone put it over 46.26

I just heard someone put it over 46.26

Why tie up an emergency frequency with a parade announcement?

Why tie up an emergency frequency with a parade announcement?

It's one of the few ways to get information out to everyone, in a short, efficient and timely manner. As long as the board is clear, I'm sure 30 seconds worth of announcement is not going to make a difference....

It's one of the few ways to get information out to everyone, in a short, efficient and timely manner. As long as the board is clear, I'm sure 30 seconds worth of announcement is not going to make a difference....

I disagree, respectfully. Alot can happen in 30 seconds. Parade announcements are not emergencies.

I disagree, respectfully. Alot can happen in 30 seconds. Parade announcements are not emergencies.

Well, HFD, if you can come up with a better way, let's hear it. Otherwise if you check with 60 control to verify the frequency is clear, ok if not wait til it is. I don't want to hear text is a better way, since most people don't have text in their cellular plans.

Well, HFD, if you can come up with a better way, let's hear it. Otherwise if you check with 60 control to verify the frequency is clear, ok if not wait til it is. I don't want to hear text is a better way, since most people don't have text in their cellular plans.

I dont know what a better way would be. Perhaps that would be a good question for a dispatcher who would have the expertise to answer that question. Parades are social functions, not emergencies.

I dont know what a better way would be. Perhaps that would be a good question for a dispatcher who would have the expertise to answer that question. Parades are social functions, not emergencies.

+1

I've gotta back up HFD on this one... I'm sure everyone remembers back when Deputy Chief Piazza from Briarcliff Manor passed away. I was working as a dispatcher when his funeral announcement was put out. It was quite a long winded announcement, and I mean no disrepect by saying that. I had to step over the announcement to put out a report of a possible fire. I felt bad doing it, especially since it was an LODD, but it had to be done.

OOOh, I forgot some of the FD's down your way have their own little dispatch towers on the county emergency frequency, and I didn't realize it until i saw part of X648eng119's post. When I think of dispatching anouncements, etc. EVERYTHING comes from county, no exceptions. there are no other little psaps, or mini towers in any of the firehouses. All emergencies, announcements, details, etc. are handled by them. If you listen to dutchess county's dispatch frequency at 18:00 hours every night, they spend about 1/2 hour toning out work details, special announcements, a list of out of service equipment, etc. thats providing they dont have a call that has to go out. If this is the case, they cease the announcement immediately, and dispatch the call. Thats why I didn't get the whole point. My apologies...

Edited by EFFP411

So--back to the real topic--did the parade happen or not????

It did in fact

It's like pulling teeth, any results?

That is why when I have to make such an announcement, I call the control center to verify that it will not interfere with any ongoing emergencies. Problem is those who don't make the phone call first.

My knowledge of radios and frequencies are limited. And those who know me know my position on parades. In light of this I ask is it possible that a frequency can be established for announcements such as parade info or other non-emergency functions? Or with just about everyone being issued cell phones why not call the department hosting the parade if you feel it may be cancelled or is all this just a waste of time and resources.

I've gotta back up HFD on this one... I'm sure everyone remembers back when Deputy Chief Piazza from Briarcliff Manor passed away. I was working as a dispatcher when his funeral announcement was put out. It was quite a long winded announcement, and I mean no disrepect by saying that. I had to step over the announcement to put out a report of a possible fire. I felt bad doing it, especially since it was an LODD, but it had to be done.

I don't have an issue with a LODD announcement over the air. To me that is far more important then wether a parade is being cancelled.

Okay--a little organization. I click on a topic that says Pound Ridge Parade--I want to see things about the parade--not radio discipline. This should be moved to a thread of its own for furthur discussion. And--for the record--Putnam does county wide announcements every Sunday at 9 am.

Now are there any results or comments pertaining to hte actual parade?

It's like pulling teeth, any results?

Croton Falls took Best Appearing Pumper and our band took Best Junior Musical Unit, Our maybrook Boy Scout Troop had a previous committment, so we had a band from an all girls high school in Manhattan.

Now we're talking, parade Results........Keep them coming

Thanks to www.wcpja.com

Pound Ridge 75th Ann. Parade Results

Sun Sept 28, 2008

Best Overall Mahopac

Best 35 or more Marchers on the Street none

Best 21-34 Marchers on the Street Bedford Hills

Best 20 or less Marchers on the Street Katonah

Best out of State New Canaan

2nd Best out of State Redding

Best Fire Dept. Color Guard Mahopac

2nd Best Fire Dept. Color Guard Bedford Hills

Best Fire Dept Jr. Corps. Bedford

Best Apparatus Overall Goldens Bridge

Best Pumper Croton Falls

Best Aerial Bedford Hills

Best Rescue Bedford Hills

Best Tanker Bedford Hills

Best Antique Bedford

Best Ambulance Vista

Best Ladies Auxiliary Darien

Best Overall Musical Unit Mt. Kisco Scottish Pipes

Best Sr. Musical Unit Tarrytown VFW Drum Corps.

Best Jr. Musical Unit Cathedral High School Band

Best Musical Color Guard Tarrytown VFW Drum Corps.

Best Drum Major none

Best Drum Majorette Conn. Rebels

Okay--a little organization. I click on a topic that says Pound Ridge Parade--I want to see things about the parade--not radio discipline. This should be moved to a thread of its own for furthur discussion. And--for the record--Putnam does county wide announcements every Sunday at 9 am.

Wow..I guess parade results are really that important.

I guess radio discipline is not important. I will ask this question which is not related to radio frequencies. Why is it so important that my engine is better than yours or my ladder is older than yours or I have more in the line of march. Dont get me wrong I know parades are a show of pride and by no means am I saying to do away with them but to be honest it sucks that we are not supposed to wave at kids or other people because some judge is watching you. (I wave anyway) What fun is that? And people spend counltess hours cleaning, waxing, etc ( bit I have no time for training) to win a trophy that will no longer fit in a trophy case for a specific category. To me these categories mean nothing which is why I enjoy the Memorial Day parade where we march to honor our vets, show our pride to the public and not worry if my firetruck is cleaner than yours.

Ok....fire away :rolleyes:

HFD: I fully agree with you on the whole judging aspect of the parade. If they want to judge apparatus for cleanliness and/or features, do so BEFORE the march. I like the Peekskill Parade. It's not judged. People march for a show of pride and community. If I wanted to go see a bunch of stiffs marching down the street military style, I'd go to a Military parade at West Point. And ALSfirefighter says it best....if you open a door on my apparatus while it's in motion, said apparatus will be quickly halted, and the offending operator of said door will likely get a boot in the a**.

I agree with both of you, let's make the parades fun again, let us wave at the people, hit the horn or siren for the kids, but lets not step on the "Q" until it winds all the way up, some common sense here. Plus doesn't anyone else seem to think that the bands are getting way too expensive?

I agree with both of you, let's make the parades fun again, let us wave at the people, hit the horn or siren for the kids, but lets not step on the "Q" until it winds all the way up, some common sense here. Plus doesn't anyone else seem to think that the bands are getting way too expensive?

The price of bands is off the hook, about 1,000 a pop and I am sure I am low-balling. . Add to that the price of trophies, fuel used, etc a parade can be very expensive but yet we cry there is not enough money for training or equipment. I could find better uses for that money.

Why is it so important that my engine is better than yours or my ladder is older than yours or I have more in the line of march. Dont get me wrong I know parades are a show of pride and by no means am I saying to do away with them but to be honest it sucks that we are not supposed to wave at kids or other people because some judge is watching you. (I wave anyway) What fun is that? And people spend counltess hours cleaning, waxing, etc ( bit I have no time for training) to win a trophy that will no longer fit in a trophy case for a specific category. To me these categories mean nothing which is why I enjoy the Memorial Day parade where we march to honor our vets, show our pride to the public and not worry if my firetruck is cleaner than yours.

Thank You

HFD: I fully agree with you on the whole judging aspect of the parade. If they want to judge apparatus for cleanliness and/or features, do so BEFORE the march. I like the Peekskill Parade. It's not judged. People march for a show of pride and community. If I wanted to go see a bunch of stiffs marching down the street military style, I'd go to a Military parade at West Point. And ALSfirefighter says it best....if you open a door on my apparatus while it's in motion, said apparatus will be quickly halted, and the offending operator of said door will likely get a boot in the a**.

Thank You Too... God, wouldn't you just love to see that happen. Too Funny