Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bedford Hills Fire Department wants $6.5 million expansion

75 posts in this topic

I have always wondered why they do not do all of the elections on the same day.

I have always wondered why they do not do all of the elections on the same day.

Control..........when they set up the system it was so that each little board had more control, because less people come out to vote. One thing the report mentioned was that there are many small districts that are so small and unknow (generally water, sewer or some other utility), that the only ones who vote are the board members.

Edited by Bnechis

The Bedford Hills Fire District bond issue passed earlier this evening.

If their ISO rating is a 9, why don't they build another, smaller substation to reduce their on-paper response times and gain ISO points? That would seem alittle more logical.

If their ISO rating is a 9, why don't they build another, smaller substation to reduce their on-paper response times and gain ISO points? That would seem alittle more logical.

The price and availabilty of land in the right places, plus I would say 95% of the membership live near the firehouse, so a substation would be a waste of money and probaly not improve response times.

Also don't forget that 40% of your ISO rating is based on municipal water supply. I'm sure that there is a good portion of the BHFD district that relys on tankers such as T-5. This is one of the biggest things that the Fd has no control over.

Have read alot of good post's but one thing I didnt see mentioned was any thing about the wicks law, the state and the taxpayers could save it self a lot of money if they changed the law!.

Have read alot of good post's but one thing I didnt see mentioned was any thing about the wicks law, the state and the taxpayers could save it self a lot of money if they changed the law!.

Wishful thinking!

Also don't forget that 40% of your ISO rating is based on municipal water supply. I'm sure that there is a good portion of the BHFD district that relys on tankers such as T-5. This is one of the biggest things that the Fd has no control over.

40% is municipal water supply if you have one. since most of BHFD does not have a mws they automatically get a PPC #9 unless they prove they can move the water.

The FD has plenty of control over it, if they want to. There are VFD's with no hydrants and ISO ratings of 4.

40% is municipal water supply if you have one. since most of BHFD does not have a mws they automatically get a PPC #9 unless they prove they can move the water.

The FD has plenty of control over it, if they want to. There are VFD's with no hydrants and ISO ratings of 4.

I'm interested in this - can you share the information for this? You can PM me if you want, thanks Cap.

Congrats to BHFD!

Probably because most haven't heard of it. Not many are involved in construction bidding. For those that don't, here you go. Some time around the turn of the century NYS passed Wicks Law requiring the state and all government entities over a certain value ($100,000??) are to be bid out in separate parts; Plumbing, Electric, HVAC, and General. As part of his '08-'09 budget Patterson has put forth an overhaul of the law that would increase the threshold for NYC to 1.5 million, 1 million for other cities and NYC suburbs, and 500,000 for everyone else. If it goes through it'll mean a savings between 20 to 40 percent in future construction projects depending on who's numbers you use.

I'm interested in this - can you share the information for this? You can PM me if you want, thanks Cap.

What info are you looking for?

The ISO rating, automatic 9, getting a 4 with no hydrants, etc.?

Nyack JFD did somthing a few years back to get around the WICS Laws. If I am not mistaken. They had the builder hold the title of the property until the construction was complete and then it was sold to the district as a complete building. Not 100% on all the details but I wil check.