Yonkers "washdown"

7 posts in this topic

Date:9/29/08

Time:

Frequency:

Units Operating: Batt1, E 312, E3??

Description Of Incident: "Washdown"

Writer: EXDC203

I know there was a bad M.V.A on the Parkway this morning, I dont know all the details. I did hear Yonkers being toned out with 2 engines + Batt Chief after the investigation was complete, for a washdown...... I mean is that overkill? Does anyone have any more info on this??

It had to have been pretty bad, i sat in traffic dead stop for a lonnng time. details anyone???

Bad enough to tie up 2 engines & a chief ................to clean up?

Bad enough to tie up 2 engines & a chief ................to clean up?

Most departments send 2 rigs & a chief to any call on a highway. 1 to block, the other to deal with the incident and the chief to keep an eye on the safety of everyone.

Most departments send 2 rigs & a chief to any call on a highway. 1 to block, the other to deal with the incident and the chief to keep an eye on the safety of everyone.

I was going to say the same thing. I rather have an extra fire truck on scene with me to help protect our operations, especially if the Staties want to try an open a lane up and get some traffic flowing again.

Date:9/29/08

Time:

Frequency:

Units Operating: Batt1, E 312, E3??

Description Of Incident: "Washdown"

Writer: EXDC203

I know there was a bad M.V.A on the Parkway this morning, I dont know all the details. I did hear Yonkers being toned out with 2 engines + Batt Chief after the investigation was complete, for a washdown...... I mean is that overkill? Does anyone have any more info on this??

There you guys go again..."critiquing", aka Monday Morning Quarterbacking something you are obviously not qualified to critique and the anti-Yonkers bias (jealousy?) creeps in again...FYI, Yonkers sends at least 2 apparatus and a Battalion Chief every time we respond to a highway fot safety reasons-one rig to block traffic and the other to do the work. That's a total of 10 Firefighters. I'm surprised at all you FDNY worshippers, no one has pointed out how many personell and apparatus they send every time they respond to a highway...I can tell you this, it's significantly more than Yonkers sends, and good for them...

FYI, earlier in the morning Yonkers units did a great job, along w/ Emresss ambulance, County PD, and YPD extricating 3 from one vehicle- one of whom was pinned under the vehicle (necessitating the use of High Lift airbags) and two inside, and two or three ejections. After the investigation was complete, they were called back for a "washdown". You might notice that despite a 450 man department, no one from Yonkers posted any details on this because, basically, it was only a little more than routine for us.

I decided to post the above response to try to get some of you guys who just don't seem to get it to think a little before you criticize dedicated professionals who do this for a living, and who have a reason for everything we do, many times which you are simply not aware of.

QTIP

Chief...

I read and re-read that post above....I can't see where anyone was critcizing your department..

I'd be willing to bet there aint one of us here on this board that wouldn't love to be a Yonkers fireman...your department is one of the best, if not the best in the nation.

Edited by x129K