Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

"Ladder Belt" worn on every aerial climb !

13 posts in this topic

Many depts SOP/SOG's require every Firefighter that climbs an aerial or operates in a bucket to wear a "Ladder Belt."

I came across one of my photos from July 1987 showing Yarmouth Mass. Firefighters certainly keeping safety in mind.

Does your department rules say "ladder belts are to be worn" ? Looking for a discussion on the use of belts at working fires ect..

Photo by TR54

post-23-1223183099.jpg

Up to when I moved from Elmsford, that was the standing order. If you were going up the stick (L55), you wore a belt and locked in if you were operating the nozzle.

If you were going to the platform (TL21), you wore a belt. There are large eyehooks on TL21 to tether into - so long as your belt had extensions, you were good to go.

Not sure how things are now though -- I'm sure it's the same.

In Dobbs Ferry the rule is the first thing you do when you step in the bucket is put on the belt.

While not a written SOP..which is a seperate issue, it is the understanding that if you are going to climb the aerial or be in the bucket you are to have utilize a ladder belt unless you have a gemtor.

Which is a seperate question for some of you. I was at a drill a few weeks back doing some climbing and keeping an eye on new members climbing for the first time. I wear a gemtor harness everywhere I work or am a member and have always utilized that device as my ladder belt which a fire officer questioned me about when I began my first climb at the drill. I feel more comfortable and believe that the gemtor at its class of harness is superior to the class 1 ladder belt style. Anyone else still use the ladder belt or require it even if you have a gemtor?

TR54...kudos to you brother for starting a great topic/discussion.

TR45, as always, thanks for sharing a great photo and in this case using it to start a topic! I love New England FD's, especially throughout Mass, and i love the Maxims (many of them are still first due pieces in NE).

In Buchanan, it depends which Truck Co. you are with.... :lol: Sorry couldnt resist. All kidding aside, we obviously do not have a ladder. However, Montrose TL-8 is usually our 1st due ladder and we train with them as often as possible. I know that their guys always wear a ladder belt or gemtor when operating on the ladder/in the bucket. We do carry ladder belts on our rigs and our guys use them when needed.

Als, good point. The Gemtor harness has become quite popular over the years. I think its up to personal opinions and what the individual FF is comfortable with. I just hate to see new FF's who go out, buy a Gemtor, put it on their gear and have no formal training on them. I think that they are great, but i have not had the opportunity to be trained on their proper uses, therefore i do not have one.

I would not rely on a ladder belt for fall protection, just to prevent you from falling, does that make sense? A harness like the gemtor is superior in fall protection as it distributes the fall to your waist and legs. Having trained extensively with the Atlas life saving belt I can tell you when it comes up about mid abdomen it is not a pleasant experience. Protecting yourself from falling from anything is extremely important. Its also extremely important to know how to secure yourself with what ever equipment you are using or have available.

Good question.....

On my job we wear the Gemtor. When in a TL bucket you should secured, however the bucket has a seatbelt like device that will allow you to lean out and make cuts to a roof from the bucket. However, like a seat belt, it locks if the person pulls away too fast, ie. like falling out of the bucket.

We have no pre-piped water ways on sticks so operating on the ladder with a ladder pipe in operation is NEVER allowed. If you are going to be at the tip cutting then you should clip in with the gemtor. Other than that, I'm not sure when you'd need to be clipped to a rung, but there could be a reason I'm not aware of.

Wow....an great topic fallen from grace because it doesnt involve lights or striping patterns....

I was curious if my department would allow the Gemtor to be used in place of a traditional ladder belt. Turns out it is fine, therefor it is my preferred method.

I would think the ladder belt would cover the pockets on my coat.

The Gemtor is there at all times, ready to be deployed.

TR45, as always, thanks for sharing a great photo and in this case using it to start a topic! I love New England FD's, especially throughout Mass, and i love the Maxims (many of them are still first due pieces in NE).

In Buchanan, it depends which Truck Co. you are with.... :lol: Sorry couldnt resist. All kidding aside, we obviously do not have a ladder. However, Montrose TL-8 is usually our 1st due ladder and we train with them as often as possible. I know that their guys always wear a ladder belt or gemtor when operating on the ladder/in the bucket. We do carry ladder belts on our rigs and our guys use them when needed.

Als, good point. The Gemtor harness has become quite popular over the years. I think its up to personal opinions and what the individual FF is comfortable with. I just hate to see new FF's who go out, buy a Gemtor, put it on their gear and have no formal training on them. I think that they are great, but i have not had the opportunity to be trained on their proper uses, therefore i do not have one.

BFD. Their first proper use is as a ladder belt. Then it also has some great uses for FAST operations. I know there are some that utilize it for bailout and such, but that is something you should be trained on prior to opting for that technique. I use the body belay, at least until my new system comes in...I'm waiting to see how well that works and then I'll make a decision from there. The thing that I see from my friends and colleagues that use the gemtor for bailout is they need to keep it pre-rigged which pretty much limits it to that operation only. I wouldn't not get one because of the advanced stuff your seeing, they have great uses for many other things.

honestly, never thought about grabbing a life belt before climbing to the roof to vent or access whatever i was going up the aerial for. sounds great on paper, and we always give one to a new recruit when he climbs in training, but I have never seen one used at a job.

In my dept, no belt or gemtor no climb. It is only for your saftey, even on some of our rescues we have the vic but on a belt depending on the type of rescue.

I have seen a few departments in CT start to carry gemtor's on their ladders instead of ladder belts. In my dept we carry ladder belts. I have a gemtor and use that instead of the ladder belt, and was trained on it by fireground tech

The only use of a ladder belt is if you are to be humping hose up an aerial and need to be secured. You would not ever need it as an aerial is not really a working platform, its a means of egress. See if you can google Matt Barnes from Ladder 25 in Manhattan. He made a grab that was almost as amazing as the Pat Barr roof rope rescue in mid-town.

RIP Matt and the other 6 from 25 truck.

Edited by roofsopen