Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Long Distance Dispatch

14 posts in this topic

From the Firegeezer:

Long Distance Dispatch

IN THIS AGE OF CELLPHONES IT’S NOT UNUSUAL for calls to emergency dispatch centers to bounce in from outside their normal territory. But in Cardiff, Wales, last week the dispatchers set their record for distance-dispatching.

While they’re used to getting requests for service from all around the UK, this time they had an emergency call for ambulance service in Nevada, USA.

_45098876_controlroom226.jpg

The Welsh Ambulance Service dispatch crew that tracked down the Nevada ambulance.

Apparently, thanks to google they called NYPD, got a number for Nevada EMS and got paramedics to the callers pregnant girlfriend in Vegas who was having difficulties! Nice feel good story. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7664710.stm

I wonder if 60 Control will add the Welsh Ambulance Service to their speed dial...

That is a great story. Well done by the Welsh DIspatch Center and the NYPD.

I think the farthest I have ever had to get help to was in California in San Diego County. That was interesting

I once got an automatic alarm for Vista while working at 60. When the address wouldn't verify in the CAD or supplemental map, I questioned the operator further. She had a 914 number for the residence as well which traced back to another address in Vista. I don't recall all the specifics, but it turned out the call was in Vista, California.

I wonder if 60 Control will add the Welsh Ambulance Service to their speed dial...

Just finished adding it - Speed Dial 193.... :blink:

We've taken a few calls down here at 60 Control where we've had to do some recon missions. One such case I remember was in Florida, and thanks to Google we were able to get the info to the appropriate response center.

I know a lot of people believe in centralized dispatch - but I think we should think globally now!

You mean you can't send an ambulance from the UK to Vegas!?!?

So much for what happens in vegas stays in vegas ;)

I got a kick out of them having to through NYPD

I think the furthest away I have gotten a call from was in Rockland on the thruway by Route 59. Hats off to the the crew in Wales. Nice work.

I dialed 911 on Route 100 in Somers a few years ago,

Suffolk County PD 911 answered.

Probably because NYSP didn't want to talk to you anymore....... :)

Now that I think about it, I called in an auto accident a few years back, I was on I84 in East Fishkill, and i got the NYSP barracks in Watertown, and they kept telling me to hang up and call 911!!

Yes. I found it interesting how even though it was EMS, and across the ocean. They could still get the NYPD involved. I was further impressed when the dispatcher at PD communications was able to actually assist them. I say this because somewhere otu there. Is an NYPD unit still waiting for tow because he couldn't give the dispatcher his exact GPS coordinates.... Wonders never stop existing.

BZ to the Welsh EMS

I dialed 911 on Route 100 in Somers a few years ago,

Suffolk County PD 911 answered.

Same thing happened to me once....except I was in Rhode Island!!

Caught a LI cell tower across the sound! Couldn't believe it....

We have enough wierd callers in MV....no out of towners please!!