Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - River Church - City of Poughkeepsie FD - 10/30/08

66 posts in this topic

Here are my photo's - Again due to the commute, I arrived late in the game..... As I mentioned in the discussion thread I am posting my photo's here and I think others should as well...... Nice job to all those who have posted their photo's .... I'm sure X129K has some good photo's to post as well....

406449975_9a3rU-XL.jpg

Fairview 41-45 had the front along with City Ladder 2

406449967_EKqrP-XL.jpg

Another shot of 41-45

406450587_ZNKKu-XL.jpg

Poughkeepsie Ladder 2 operates in the front.

406449177_p8Hco-XL.jpg

With the steeples fate now doubtful, it's time to move Ladder 2.

406450857_Y8UWm-XL.jpg

A shot of the steeple from the collapse zone........

*Even if you got there late you always take great pictures which makes up for that!* :)

406452092_v59rt-XL.jpg

Ladder 2 gets set-up in it's new position as the intensity of the smoke from the steeple increases significantly........

406452264_qknpe-XL.jpg

Not looking good......

406452525_Vae9T-XL.jpg

Flames now engulf the churches steeple......

406453089_uMJ2V-XL.jpg

Collapse is imminent.....................

406453039_RXfh7-XL.jpg

PFD Firefighters watch the fire take hold of the churches steeple.......

406453195_spqBm-XL.jpg

Here's the view the crew of PFD Engine 1 had........

The smoke from this fire went as far as South Grand ave and Hooker ave. I was driving 32-11 to the fire and at one point we had to slow down because the smoke got so bad by Adriance ave and Hooker ave. What a job!!!!!!

Arlington 32-46 at work.

post-4288-1225465515.jpg

post-4288-1225465525.jpg

post-4288-1225465537.jpg

Great pictures...

And not to criticize, BUT....

I love the guy walking right through the steeple collapse zone wearing a white helmet, coat, JEANS, and bunker boots! Never ceases to amaze me!

406453195_spqBm-XL.jpg

Here's the view the crew of PFD Engine 1 had........

This almost looks like a painting. Incredible shot.

Wow, incredible shots. Interesting smoke trails from the fully engulfed steeple. Looks like things were exploding on the left side there.

Interesting smoke trails from the fully engulfed steeple. Looks like things were exploding on the left side there.

I was thinking that too nice pics.

Nice Pixs!!!! You got there just in time!!!! What do people think about having personel on a stick when it is up and is being used as a waterway in a surround and drown operation? When I went threw the academy we had an instructor doing ladder opps and he said that there is no reason to have anybody up there. I would have to agree!

Nice Pixs!!!! You got there just in time!!!! What do people think about having personel on a stick when it is up and is being used as a waterway in a surround and drown operation? When I went threw the academy we had an instructor doing ladder opps and he said that there is no reason to have anybody up there. I would have to agree!

If you are practiced with your ladder ops and know how to keep yourself out of danger, then there is no reason not to have an individual be your eyes in the sky. These men are strapped in safely and have the advantage of being able to see what they are attacking.

Thanks all..... Many of these images are what is referred to as "toned mapped" which is a variation of a HDR or high dynamic range imaging.... Tone mapping adds to the over-all contrast of the image and thus giving them the "painting" look most evident in the bricks and clouds.......

I'm not going to get into the rights/wrongs of manning a ladder pipe but here's a photo of 32-45 operating................

406453432_8NgFJ-XL.jpg

Poughkeepsie's Ladder 1 operates as the sun shines through a window opening in what's left of the church......

I have many more photo's that I have yet to go through and I hope X129K posts his as I think he was there before me and probably got some great shots...... It's kind of mind boggling the level of involvement when PFD arrived..... Given the time of day and location it's hard to believe how advanced the fire was..... The deck was definitely stacked against them...... Great job by all!

Edited by Photounit

This almost looks like a painting. Incredible shot.

Absolutely!!!!! Awesome shots, Bill!!!! I notice a lot of your photos look almost like they are paintings. How do you do that??? It looks AWESOME!!!!!

Bill and everyone else who shared Thanks for the great shots and Bill that pic should be a cover somewhere. I also am partial to the silhoette(Spelling?) ones as well.

Arlington 32-45 operates as the sun shines through a window opening in what's left of the church......

Bill, just an FYI I wish we could take credit for that, 32-45 got the stick up but we never got to flow water. That looks like City Ladder 1....

Bill, just an FYI I wish we could take credit for that, 32-45 got the stick up but we never got to flow water. That looks like City Ladder 1....

Thanks...... I knew they were both back there..... So noted.....

AWESOME PHOTOS!!!

WOW!!!!!!

That pic of Ladder 1 is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...seeming how I cam ein to work 8 hours, but am getting stuck doing 17....I'll have mine up tonight...if I burned them to this CD right.

**** Figures! I didnt burn it right...no pics from me!

Edited by x129K

Ok.....I went home and got my laptop....I have ALOT of pics to upload, and I will be posting them tonight..

They will be in chronological order from my arrival. Some may be repeats of the ones I posted but you can deal with it.

This pic is from Poughkeepsie City Hall. The smoke is visible behind the church here on Mill Street;

100_2627.jpg

Upon arrival at the River Church job;

100_2628-1.jpg

Looking up Hooker Avenue.

100_2629.jpg

Walking up....light smoke from the steeple

100_2630-1.jpg

Working my way to the exposure 4 side, where PFD Ladder 1 and Arlington are working;

100_2647-2.jpg

AFD FF Robison............

100_2648.jpg

100_2649.jpg

100_2650.jpg

100_2656.jpg

CPPD Community Policing Unit rescue a car from iminent doom

100_2657.jpg

Ok....here is my series of the steeple.......I took ALOT of pics of it.

100_2658.jpg

100_2659.jpg

100_2660.jpg

100_2661.jpg