Montrose Fire 11-4-2008, Portofino Pizzeria

23 posts in this topic

Date: 11/04/2008

Time: 0016hrs

Frequency: 46.26, Westchester Trunk 10

Units Operating: Montrose FD, Tri-Village Response

Description Of Incident: Reported Structure Fire

Writer: EJS1810

State Police reporting fire, Montrose unit on scene reporting fire through the roof

Buchanan 1 Engine & Cascade

Croton FAST

0035 Peekskill Relocate 1 Engine (E-133 Assigned) to Montrose

C&O to Scene

O-Wind OTS...until 1/4 battery life died...gotta get a backup for the new Canon...

On scene: MFD 2271, 2273, E121, E122 (1st due), LT8; VFD E128 & Chief; BFD 2551 & U12; and CFD E119 FAST as of 0200 hrs.

And the pictures.........

MFD Chief Scott Cole calling the shots:

post-51-1225782816.jpg

Montrose FD's E122 gets its first action:

post-51-1225782892.jpg

Montrose FD Ladder Tower 8 putting water on the fire:

post-51-1225782993.jpg

Edited by Oswegowind

Croton FD F.A.S. Team sizing up the Job:

post-51-1225783174.jpg

Croton FD F.A.S. Team's Ride, E119:

post-51-1225783199.jpg

MFD FF Chuck Maguire running E122's operation:

post-51-1225783294.jpg

MFD E122's Water Supply...hydrant at front of fire building:

post-51-1225783398.jpg

Crews at work on Ground and Roof:

post-51-1225783481.jpg

Verplanck FD E128:

post-51-1225784106.jpg

NYSP 3K85, Trooper K9 unit:

post-51-1225784200.jpg

MFD E122 at work:

post-51-1225784234.jpg

Another shot of VFD E128:

post-51-1225784250.jpg

Pump Operator of MFD E121 (The Condo):

post-51-1225784265.jpg

Another shot of E122 at work:

post-51-1225784276.jpg

E122's pump panel:

post-51-1225784288.jpg

CFD FAST Gear:

post-51-1225784295.jpg

Fire starting to poke through the roof again...my battery died right after this shot!

post-51-1225784549.jpg

MFD Car 2271

post-51-1225784556.jpg

Some fire showing:

post-51-1225784562.jpg

MFD E122 again, by request...:

post-51-1225784571.jpg

And for now,

Buchanan FD Utility 12 filling bottles at the scene:

post-51-1225784577.jpg

Looks like quite a job---hope all came home safe. I am doing a building construction class--can anyone tell me more about the building?? construction date? renovation dates?? former occupants?? I would love to share with me class.

Thanks

Great pictures. A long night and a great job by all.

You have some nice shots! Which Canon R U shooting with?

Edited by Photounit

units involved:

On scene

Montrose: 2271, 2273, e-122, e-121, lt-8 u-68

Buchanan: 2551, u-12, e-161

Verpanck: 2491, 2492, 2493, e-128

Croton: 2082, 2083, e-119 (FAST)

Relocate/backfill:

Peekskill e-133 Montrose FD HQ, TL-45 their qtrs

Buchanan e-160 their qtrs

Other frequencies used: Ops on FG-6, CFD FAST FG-5

Fire was through the roof on arrival, this was a very stubborn fire due to many renovations over the years. All things considered with 1 large a/c unit falling into the structure and a second larger one in danger of falling in a great job was done by all, the most important item is EVERYONE WENT HOME - NO INJURIES.

Great Job by everyone Everyone worked well

Luckly No Injuries

Also On Scene EMS

Cortlandt VAC 8811,8812,8813 and 88B1,(88B3 In service from scene) along with a few M/A EMT's from Peekskill leanding a hand! Cortlandt Vac hand second call in district 88b3 responded Peekskill place on standby to cover CCVAC area from HQ, peekskill then cancelled B3 back to the scene in service.

a good 7 hour stubborn Fire It just did not want to go out.

(Too Bad 1 LT from MFD and 1 LT from VFD were OOS in Las Vegas for Hazmat Training they missed a goodone but we saved them some smoke) lol

Edited by irishfire2491

Tommy,

Sorry I forgot the EMS in my post.

Tommy,

Sorry I forgot the EMS in my post.

That is okay I know it was a long night and I still did not get any sleep!!!

Excellent photos, Kris!!

Looks like quite a job---hope all came home safe. I am doing a building construction class--can anyone tell me more about the building?? construction date? renovation dates?? former occupants?? I would love to share with me class.

Thanks

hey Firecapt, building has had 3 different owners has gone from a mexican join, to a 50's style burger place and then to a pizzeria. i believe it's type 2 construction (not 100% sure), flat roof, kitchen w/ pizza ovens ifo the store front, dinning in the back along with a private party room adjoning in the back. I'm not sure when it was built im guessing in the early 60's maybe later. not sure of the rennovation's as long as i can remember those three things are the only ones i can remember. so its changed 3 times.

thanks mofire but it dosent sound or look like type 2 from the pics i have looked at. it is interesting to note the changes over the years. Were there additions or alterations to the building?? new facade or anything like that added?

just wondering

glad everyone went home safe

You have some nice shots! Which Canon R U shooting with?

Well, I used my "new" Canon Rebel XTS last night with a stock 18-35 IS lens. Was meaning to buy an extra battery for it. I also have the x901 camera...Canon Rebel original, but they changed the battery pack between models and also the media card format went from CF to SD...fortunately I own a host of electronics so I have 6-8 GB of both laying around at any given time.

Next time I hear the 2nd set of horns and then go to check, I will bring the bag and gear.

Nice pics was a cause determined and was this on Route 9 looks familiar

"Sounded like a fun time", not sure the owner would agree. :blink:

Edited by gss131

It's on Route 9A across from Luposello's Garage, I believe a cause has not been determined...correct me if I am wrong.

Walter,

It was masonry block with wooden (not heavy timber) members. The original roof appeared to be 2 x 8 beams with wooden planks covered by asphalt roofing. There was what appeared to be a rain roof on it made up of 2 x 4 members and asphalt roofing. There was a steel I-beam that ran across the building about 1/3 the distance from the front wall, which is what kept the 2nd roof AC unit from falling in (more then likely). I would call it a Type 3 Ordinary if I had to classify it.

There was a drop ceiling suspended from the original roof, which basically gave it two different void areas for the fire to run (which it did).

As to the number of renovations - I'm not even going to guess.

Kris - good pics - any we can use for the CFD website? Thanks.

Edited by Remember585

Use what you can...any department involved. If you need higher resolution you can email me and I will forward to you with your specs at my earliest convenience. I find it surprising how in 1 forum people attack people personally and in another people are thankful to that same person...you know who you are!

Back from Vegas. Sorry I could not be there. Hey Kris do you mind if I aquire some of your photo's for our web page?

Thanks...

Hey Kris, great shots, as always! Glad you made it out for this one. To bad your camera was filled with pics from your little ones b-day lol, just kidding. I'm just upset that you didn't get many shots of me, since I'm your hero :rolleyes: .

Rob, no biggie bro, you didn't miss much. Hmm, Vegas or a restaurant fire? Ill bet you were having a much better time. It was quite cold and it didn't help that a few of us got our boots filled with water. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't just water, perhaps vegetable oil and whatever else was in there lol.

It was a long night, that's for sure.