Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

In Memory Of Lt. Thomas Salvatore, Empress EMS 301

15 posts in this topic

As I refelect back on what's happened in Novembers past, I always remember "Tommy Sal". It's been almost 9 years since his passing.

Tommy was a street Paramedic Supervisor for Empress EMS. I worked with him during the early years of my EMS career, back when I was an EMT. Tommy was alway laid back, friendly, approachable, and a great teacher. I remeber his love for his Supervisor's Tahoe, no matter how much it gave him problems! He always had a great spirit despite the valiant battle with Lupus and the health problems it caused him.

I remember the last time I saw Tommy, it was on a ventilator at Sound Shore Medical Center's ICU where I visited as often as I could (often would sneak over a few times during my MV-A1 shifts or when I was off), and then at the funeral home across the street from city center.

Tommy died of complications from Lupus disease. His death was a tremendous loss for the Empress EMS family, his own family, fiance, and friends, not to mention the EMS community as a whole.

There's a whole new generation at Empress EMS now who probaly have a whole new set of supervisors. I come from when the old Empress was ending, and the "new" Empress was beginning to emerge. I remember "306 on the back", but there was nothing like hearing "301" on the air. I reflect on a lot of the EMS lessons he taught me, and to this day remember the wide variety of calls we did together.

Tommy's fellow supervisors have gone on to new careers now, but were just as awesome as him. I didn't realize it at the time, but it really was an era. I think about it, especially with all my fellow alumni who are active members of this forum.

I remember the funeral, Rory Lynch and I were working Mount Vernon A-1. Although we were technically in service, we at least got to be at the church which was standing room only. I can still hear John R. from Yonkers PD ESU playing the bagpipes.

Remember 301.

Thomas A. Salvatore III died on November 26, 1999 at the age of 33. He was born in New Rochelle on January 30, 1966, the son of Thomas A. and Janet Longo Salvatore. He graduated from New Rochelle High School and is a veteran of the United States Navy. He was a Paramedic Supervisor with the Empress Ambulance.

I didn't know Lt. Thomas Salvatore but will keep him in my prayers. Taken at at age 33 is tragic. He sounded like he was a great man.

I worked for Empress back in 1997

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with LT Thomas Salvatore.

Tommy was a great guy.

We miss you Brother!

RIP 301

I rode with Tommy and Rich Greer on my first orientation tour at the Big E....right before the Pope was supposed to visit the first time...Tommy was fantasizing on how he would, "clutch the Pope from the jaws of death, the bowels of arrest...and live to be a Saint..."

I then became his partner for MANY years......Medic 2...what a blast.....easisly one of my favorites, probably second only to Bill Rothschild.

When Tommy became a Sup, I would ride along as often as I could before, between, and after my tours...I was his chauffer in the Tahoe...that man would fall asleep at the drop of a hat.....many times I would drive us to the job and have to wake him up there...

Tommy was a PAIN IN THE a**. He could dish it out and take it......We abused him ALOT!

I remember during his personal trouble...he was in the Tahoe at Post 3...window cracked....talking on the c-phone...Pete Rovida decided to throw a snowball his way...preciselt striking the window JUST where it was cracked....covering poor Tommy with snow and scaring the s*** outa him....I am laughing just typing it...........Tommy was one of a kind...salt of the earth, kinda guy...

I remember when he died...I came in to work Communications in the AM....Tina told me.....I made the signs and posted them around 722....we were all in disbeleif...

I took an Alamo bus to his funeral......me and John Mahoney....

I sat next to Wendy Korotkin in the Church...I still remember most of Tommy's brother's speech about him...

I still have my "301" rememberance bar on my duty coat.

GOD BLESS YOU TOMMY SAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember him when he worked with Empress in Yonkers- he was a great medic...

Edited by batt2

He was before my time, but his memory lives on at Empress and with those who did work for him! I wish I had met him because everyone has such fond memories of him! Rest in peace!

I never had the honor of Meeting LT. Thomas Salvatore considering I was only 6. But he sounds like a great guy. RIP

Tommy was a great guy. Wow 9 years already. Time just seems to fly by.

Maybe as an honor to Lt. Salvatore, Empress should retire #301.

Maybe as an honor to Lt. Salvatore, Empress should retire #301.

I beleive that was done............as well as numbering the new truck after him.

I still have my "301" rememberance bar on my duty coat.

I Have mine also on my coat, He was one of the best street Supervisor I ever meet. We all had some good times with him!

I worked with Tommy Sal back in the day with X129, EMTBravo creator himself (Seth) and BIG RWC130. I learned more in the 2 years at Empress than in my entire time as a Vollie. The chances of seeing sh** up here in Orange County that I saw in Schlobaum and the other ghetto parts of the "Y" are slim to none!

Tommy Sal was always there to answer questions and teach you the correct way to do things. God Bless Tommy Sal. He will always live forever in our hearts and minds.

I don't know why it affected me this year so much, but I'm truly upset about it. Tommy was a great guy, and it's completly unfair what happened to him.

I also know someone else, who is one of the best people (albeit stubborn!) I have met in my life, who suffers from Lupus, and many complications. I think about her a lot as well. Her husband is also one of the most terrific people I have ever met, and it's devastating to him as well, but he holds up strong.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease of unknown origin that primarily affects women. Basically, the body attacks itself until the job is done. There is no cure. Read more about Lupus here: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_lupus_erythematosus" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_lupus_erythematosus</a> , and please keep prayers that a cure will be found soon.

Don't only Remember 301, understand what happened and put an end to it for future generations!!

Wow Tommy, I can't believe it's been 10 years ago now since you left us. I still carry a lot of what you taught me as a new EMT on the streets of Yonkers every day. I still remember vividly a lot of our calls together, like my first espophogeal verices patient in cardiac arrent, and you bringing me a temporary set of pants after a cardiac arrest with a heavy GI bleeder at MV ER. I hate the thought of visiting you in the ICU of Sound Shore, but I remember the day working Mount Vernon A-1 when we sent you off with the bagpipes playing and the packed church.

I think it's fair to say all of us who worked with you miss you!