Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Yorktown Highway Superintendent Declines $25G Raise!

12 posts in this topic

Yorktown highway superintendent declines $25G raise

By Brian J. Howard

The Journal News • November 14, 2008

YORKTOWN - Citing a faltering economy and drastic budget cuts at the state and local levels, Highway Superintendent Eric DiBartolo is refusing a roughly $25,000 pay increase.

That includes a $21,000 one-time stipend he was promised by the Town Board along with a 3 percent increase all elected town officials were to receive in Supervisor Don Peters' 2009 budget proposal.

The Town Board awarded DiBartolo the stipend last year and was to do so again after crediting him with saving the town between $600,000 and $800,000 through cost-cutting measures and departmental consolidations.

"In my heart I can't turn around, in this day and age when people are getting laid off and tuitions are going up and everything that's going on, I can't take a raise," DiBartolo said. "I just can't do it."

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008811140388

I know Eric, he is a real stand up guy. Very involved with the Town of Yorktown,

Yorktown Fire, and Westchester County C & O Team. I prob missed some more too? lol

WAY TO GO ERIC!

wow I don't think that is something that many of us would turn down. Kudos to Eric.

We hear everyday about XYZ person from XYZ Company/School/State who are taking multi-digit rases while laying off people, cutting budgets, rasing costs and sticking their hand out to the government for a "bailout" simultaniously. It is so refreshing to see somebody having the morals to stand up for what is right. Thank you Eric for doing what is right!

Not many people like this out there today, nice to see someone actually doing the right thing, Great job Eric!

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008811140388

I know Eric, he is a real stand up guy. Very involved with the Town of Yorktown,

Yorktown Fire, and Westchester County C & O Team. I prob missed some more too? lol

The only thing you missed is he is the Battalion 17 Coordinator.

Hey Eric, if you don't want it - I'LL GLADLY TAKE IT! :rolleyes:

Very cool and noble of him, not that I would expect anything less.

I think it is a very noble thing for him to do but I have one problem with it. When contract negotiations come up in the future, is the Town going to give raises? I can see the Town board using the excuse that this guy turned down a raise and so should the rest of the TOWN employees. Just wanted to see what others think.

We just signed our contract for 2009 with really nothing to give back to the Town which was shocking.

I myself would have taken the raise but not the stipend, of course I am sure his salary is alot more than mine

I would love to get a raise, almost three years again without a contract, we the law enforcement titles of NYSCOPBA suffer again.

Edited by markmets415

If only more people would take this kind of personal responsibility and initiative to do something honorable.

Very well done!

Eric I applaud you for what you are doing .

My question is why is a taxpayer funded job, getting a stipend for saving money?

That is there job to save money. Sorry should not be getting a "Bonus" for that.

This not meant to attack Eric in any way.

...My question is why is a taxpayer funded job, getting a stipend for saving money?

That is there job to save money. Sorry should not be getting a "Bonus" for that...

From what I can gather, the stipend money was agreed to by the town when Eric took over the management / supervisory functions of the Water and Parks departments, in addition to his existing duties at Highway.

Kudos to Eric for his stance, plus for doing a bang-up-job of saving Yorktown taxpayers a ton of money!

Message to other county, city, town and village governments: are you paying attention?

I applaud him for taking this step, I bet you wouldnt find many officials that would turn down a raise.... He is a true public servant, looking out for the best interest of the people ... I wish other officials would look to his example and I'm glad the rest of the town board will also reject their raises... Great job Eric !!!!!!