Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Continental Village Route 9 Woodchip Fire - 11/18/08

26 posts in this topic

Units on scene (Correct me if I'm wrong):

Thanks to AJSBear for ths updated / corrected info!

Continental Village

14-1-1, 14-1-2, 14-1-3, 14-2-1, 14-2-2, 14-3-1, 14-4-1

Garrison

15-2-2, 15-3-1, 15-4-1

Putnam Valley

24-1-2, 24-4-1, 24-6-1

Putnam BES

Car 9

Croton-on-Hudson

2083, T10

Yorktown

T14

Westchester DES

Battalion 10

Relocated to Continental Village FD:

Peekskill

2343, E133

I got some pics, hopefully I can get them up after work tonight.

Edited by Remember585

Here is the original IA from Texastom791

Date: 11/18/08

Time:23:30

Location: Garrison Tree Company Route 9 XS Winston Ln and Morgan Ct

Frequency: 46.38

Units Operating: Continental Village,Garrison 1 tanker 1 engine ,Putnam Valley 1 tanker,Peekskill 1 engine to Continental Village

Description Of Incident: Large woodchip pile on fire

Writer: texastom791

22:30 Continental Village fire dispatched to a woodchip pile on fire at the garrison tree company

22:34 Garrison dispatched mutual aid with one tanker

22:43 Putnam valley dispatched mutual aid with one tanker

22:52 Continental Village rescue truck requested to the scene

23:01 Garrison requested 1 engine to the fill site at Greymoor to fill tankers

23:07 Engine 133 relocating to Continental Village

23:19 Additional Continental Village fire police members requested to the scene per the IC

CVFD & M/A units operated until about 3am. Texastom791 couldn't post anymore updates because it was a school night. :lol::lol:

CVFD members and apparatus are back at the scene this morning with company workers who are pulling apart the wood pile.

Location from maps.live.com: http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuMTI0Mityb3V0...TQ5LjQxNDA2MjU=

That was alot of water!!!!!

And where was Bat 10 hiding?

If you zoom in on the picture--the "bird's eye view", the log pile toward the top is where the fire was/is. The pile was considerably larger last night as well. A fine job done by all involved. Quite a few resources came together support the effort.

Edited by PVFD113

Chief - Batallion 10 was at the Command post with the IC and Putnam Car 9, where I belong!

LOL!!! I missed seeing you!!!! Now that is just not right!!!

he village has been back there since 8 or so this morning. I heard they should be done soon though. The Owner is still pulling down the rest of the pile.

Here is the original IA from Texastom791

Date: 11/18/08

Time:23:30

Location: Garrison Tree Company Route 9 XS Winston Ln and Morgan Ct

Frequency: 46.38

Units Operating: Continental Village,Garrison 1 tanker 1 engine ,Putnam Valley 1 tanker,Peekskill 1 engine to Continental Village

Description Of Incident: Large woodchip pile on fire

Writer: texastom791

22:30 Continental Village fire dispatched to a woodchip pile on fire at the garrison tree company

22:34 Garrison dispatched mutual aid with one tanker

22:43 Putnam valley dispatched mutual aid with one tanker

22:52 Continental Village rescue truck requested to the scene

23:01 Garrison requested 1 engine to the fill site at Greymoor to fill tankers

23:07 Engine 133 relocating to Continental Village

23:19 Additional Continental Village fire police members requested to the scene per the IC

CVFD & M/A units operated until about 3am. Texastom791 couldn't post anymore updates because it was a school night. :lol::lol:

CVFD members and apparatus are back at the scene this morning with company workers who are pulling apart the wood pile.

Location from maps.live.com: http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuMTI0Mityb3V0...TQ5LjQxNDA2MjU=

For your information I went to bed I didn't see the need to saty up because it wasn't that big of a deal.

They were redispatched around 3, 3:30 this afternoon. We emptied one of the water towers last night at Graymoor, 40,000 gallons before we moved the fill site,

are they still operating there right now

Just a question why would yorktown be going to continental village isnt that quite a haul for them

Just a question why would yorktown be going to continental village isnt that quite a haul for them

It's 12 miles from Yorktown Heights HQ to the scene.

It's 12 miles from Croton (Grand St) to the scene.

Not really.... Westchester-wise, Yorktown and Croton are the closest tankers.

k thank you just not sure as to why north highlands or cold spring werent utilized thought they would be alot closer

k thank you just not sure as to why north highlands or cold spring werent utilized thought they would be alot closer

Closer is not always better...you don't necessarily want to strip all available resources that happen to be closest.

I would like to thank everyone who came out last night inthe cold weather to help with our large bon fire. We were back there at 8:ooam and again at 3 pm each time the excivator turned up a fire pocket. For those who don't know it is a much pile that was about 20-30 feet tall with large logs stacked on top of it. Again thanks for the help it was greatly apreciated by myself and all my guys.-Chris Rimm 14-11 / car 2131

Closer is not always better...you don't necessarily want to strip all available resources that happen to be closest.

There is obviously way more tankers in Putnam County that could easily back fill. However, going by the distsance that was traveled by the two Westchester tankers, arent you depleting what little resoureces you have for that county which is mostly hydrant districts? I'm not trying to cause a fight. I'm just saying that 12 milies in 20 minutes as opposed to 10 miles in 10 minutes would have made a little more sense.

12 milies in 20 minutes as opposed to 10 miles in 10 minutes

I am not sure where the 20 minutes can from, but from the dispatch, a large brush fire, there was no way I was rushing up there, we sat on the ramp for easily 8 minutes organizing the manpower, seeing who was going ang getting ready... so if need be, that response time would of been quicker...

I was glad to get out of my warm bed and traveling up there, and helping out.... anytime our tanker is needed, just call...

Cold Spring does not have a tanker. The only other tanker in Philipstown that was not there is North Highlands which was covering the entire town. Peekskill moved up to CV and they don't have a tanker. If they sent NH then you still have to put a tanker on the road to back fill.

They were redispatched around 3, 3:30 this afternoon. We emptied one of the water towers last night at Graymoor, 40,000 gallons before we moved the fill site,

Not for nothing....., all this for WOOD CHIPS burning.........anybody hear of a bulldozer.

Not for nothing....., all this for WOOD CHIPS burning.........anybody hear of a bulldozer.

Not wood chips, Think of a pile of firewood, 20ft high

It's 12 miles from Yorktown Heights HQ to the scene.

It's 12 miles from Croton (Grand St) to the scene.

Is that a Google As the Birds fly or Google Driving directions? I realize T-10 & T-14 might be the closest N Westchester resources but were there other Tankers closer? Stony Point (Rockland), Fort Montgomery (Orange) or Kent (Putnam)? I was not there and i was not working the A-Line and I am not MNQ. Just thinking outside a box.

Not wood chips, Think of a pile of firewood, 20ft high

I am sorrry, but your post #2, states, "woodchips".....Still even if its "firewood, 20ft high".......get a bulldozer and try to seperate the pile.

There was a 20Ft pile of logs on top of the wood chips and not a lot of room to spread them out. CV did a good job. all you could do was drown it as Garrison Tree took the logs off the pile one by one and move them. And the logs were on top of the chips.

Wow was this bigger than the Great Chipmunk fire of 1976???????

Seems logical to me. This was a pile of wood, not a structure with life hazards where as you would want the closet vehicles to respond, the call not to strip the entire area for a large bon fire seems the appropriate move here. Jumping over depts in this type of situation is the only way to operate. If a tanker had to travel an extra distance to elimanate leaving the entire surrounding area naked common sense should dictate that this is the correct operations and obviously this is what was done. Good work guys!!!!!

Lets see some pics!!! sounds like fun on a cold afternoon. hope everyone was safe!!!!

they were just posted, most likely the alert and photos will get linked.