Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonMoose

FBI Warns of Possible Terror Plot Against New York City Subway During Holidays

16 posts in this topic

FBI Warns of Possible Terror Plot Against New York City Subway During Holidays

Federal authorities are warning of a possible Al Qaeda-orchestrated terror plot against New York City subway and other transit systems during the holidays, FOX News has confirmed.

The potential threat, described in an internal FBI memo as "plausible but unsubstantiated," does not extend beyond the New York City area, sources told FOX News. But commuters could see security tighten across the country.

The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security issued a joint bulletin late Tuesday night to local and state law enforcement authorities about the possible plot, a homeland security official told FOX.

The report states that in late September, Al Qaeda may have talked about attacking transit systems in and around New York City during the holiday season...

Source:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,457747,00.html

Is this really a surprise that Al Qaeda still wants after New York and might make a special effort during the holidays. What I really love is how in response security has been increased all over midtown and lower manhattan. Too bad the 92 bomb and Oklahoma City were planned and constructed on the outskirts of their intended target. Want to blow up a packed subway wouldn't it be easier to get on at the start of the line and either ride in unnoticed as the car packs up? It is such a waste of money to just make a few people feel safe. How about real safety via more beat cops patrolling neighborhoods and more plain clothes riding trains. They are the ones who will see things out of the ordinary and be able to do something about it.

Just got back from the city with my girl. In and around the Empire State building, 34th Street and Penn Station was PACKED with ESU packing M4s and tons of patrol cars. Scary s***, but at least these guys are out in force - it is comforting. Sucks that you have to considering terrorism every time you do something though.

I was down there today also, there was minimal presence in grand central, and no officers riding the trains

I was down there today also, there was minimal presence in grand central, and no officers riding the trains

Idk, just rode through 42nd St/Grand Central, there was at least 4 officers on each side of the 4/5/6 tracks...

who knows how many under covers there are riding the trains and subways...for every uniformed officer we see there has to be 2 (i just pulled that number out of the air) that we don't.

Every year around the Holidays that Terror Threat goes up. You shouldn't be that surprised to see ESU and others carrying M-4's. As a matter of fact, you should be used to it by now.

Happy Thanksgiving to the boys missing out time with there familiy today to keep us safe.

Maybe I'm just used to carrying and being around weapons but I never find it scary. In a second thought I also don't find it that comforting...show of force is mostly public PR so they can feel something is going on. It doesn't make me feel comfortable that there is little they can do until something happens or some idiot makes a mistake in the process of attempting something. This shouldn't come as a surprise as it has been rather surprising we have not seen the similiar types of events that have occurred in London and in Madrid with trains and buses. Dry runs for here? Possibly. The other thing to keep in mind is that many discussions and threat analysis has always talked about the holiday season for such transportation events and homicide bombers. This would cause significant impact to the economy in some regards and with the economy broken right now and barely holding, I'm hoping they are not as smart as they really are.

I was in the city taking mass transit and let me tell you....I did not see a single unifromed officer all day. It was actually weird, I did not see one on any of the buses I took, or on the subway, or in Grand Central. I did see one national guard soldier in Grand Central at that little desk thing and the little stretcher cart by the station masters officer but other than that not a single NYPD officer anywhere.

Edited by bvfdjc316

I was in the city taking mass transit and let me tell you....I did not see a single plain clothes officer all day. It was actually weird, I did not see one on any of the buses I took, or on the subway, or in Grand Central. I did see one national guard soldier in Grand Central at that little desk thing and the little stretcher cart by the station masters officer but other than that not a single NYPD officer anywhere.

How is it that you KNOW you didn't see any plainclothes officers? If they were there and doing their job you wouldn't see them.

How is it that you KNOW you didn't see any plainclothes officers? If they were there and doing their job you wouldn't see them.

I do not know why I said plain clothes.....I meant uniformed

Sorry

Lets be real, most plain cloths cops look like cops. Transit is probably the exception but all I hear from transit cops in the Bx is how their bosses keep on putting them in uniform standing on platforms as a show of force.

Not to knock the FBI at all, but I have a best friend who is an US Customs ICE Inspector in the Intelligence Division, I understand that he is limited in the info that he can tell me, but I did check with him after the FBI report and he told me that there was no credible or immediate threat to the RR system.

I got this warning in my e-mail from a conservative news website other than FOX that I subscribe to. After reading the press release they sent out, I am skeptical at best. I no longer have the original E-Mail but it wasn't holiday specific or very location specific.

Basically it said that members of Al-Qeda had been heard discussing the possibility of an attack on mass transit in the NYC area. No time frame or specifics. The press release even went on to say that there was no credible threat heard, just some initial discussions.

Does this mean we should not be vigilant? ABSOLUTELY NOT!, Does it mean that an attack is imminent, no more so than it always has meant that. But as I have done for the past several years, I will probably be in NYC on Christmas, and I will probably travel by Subway to see my in-laws. I am not going to change my routine based on such limited information, because if I do, then the terrorists win by getting me to change my way of life for them.

Does this mean we should not be vigilant? ABSOLUTELY NOT!, I will probably be in NYC on Christmas, and I will probably travel by Subway to see my in-laws.

If you think the threat is real, then have the in-laws travel by subway. lol :P

Edited by Bnechis