Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemn23

Worst Stretch of Roadway

18 posts in this topic

In your opinion what is the worst stretch of roadway in Westchester? Ie. 9A in Briarcliff where the Tanker accident was, The curve off of 684 to 287 just to name a few.

As far as the roadways with the most potential for danger

Route 9A entire stretch Yonkers-Peekskill, Route 139 in Somers, the Saw Mill River Parkway Executive Blvd-Route 119, the Bronx River Parkway Sprain Split-NYC line, Taconic from Route 202 on up, Route 117 Thornwood-Mount Kisco

My opinion is

Most Neglected

Route 9A in Elmsford, from 119 to the training center.

Most Dangerous

The 684 to 287 merge is the most dangerous

Biggest Improvement

87/287 corridor

I also dont travel very far from southern Westchester.

i would have to agree with firemn23 with all of his. i think 9a is one of the worst roads in westchester the whole thing

the North and south bound stretch between Eastchester and Boston Post Road on the Hutch is a mess. always someone coming over those rolls and plowing into something.

worst stretch of road to drive:

Bronx Parkway from the Sprain split up to the county center. The road is way to narrow for todays cars and people just dont know how to drive them.

Worst stretch for traffic:

Hutch northbound from the city line to the cross county exit ramp. two lanes of bumper to bumper traffic with everyone merging in and no one getting off. Plus all the traffic from the left lane wants to exit, its a wonder there arent more accidents. If they just continued the acceleration lane from the lincoln ave entrance to the exit lane for the cross county which isnt more than a few hundred feet, i think it would solve many problems.

There are many others, im sure everyone has their own, I could personally name about ten more, but these two are at the top of the list

I'd have to say the Taconic north of Route 35. Route 139 past Primrose Drive. Route 35 just before it meets 118 over by the reservoir. And of course, Farmers Mills Road, the entire length from 301 to 52.

I personally hate driving route 9 from the shopping center through archville FD through phelps hospital... that road is WAY to narrow!

I personally hate driving route 9 from the shopping center through archville FD through phelps hospital... that road is WAY to narrow!

Agreed!

oh forget the even issue of the potholes... just the fact that i think any car can drive perfectly straight and not be able to be within the white lines

Rte 9 in Peekskill, in the area of Hudson St. Also, 5th Ave in New Rochelle

684 north bound/Interstate 84 @ exit 9E. Brewster out there almost 2 times a day.

Route 139 (period)- Somers

Route 202- Between Lake Rd and Miller Ave- Somers

Route 35- Between 118 and 100- Somers

Somers responded to 127 Auto Accidents during 2004, a heck of a lot were on those stretches (including fatals).

I have to go with the section of Route 9 from Route 117 to the Arcadian Shopping Center. Over the years it has killed and injured probably more people then any other stretch of road.

Every telephone pole on that stretch has had to be replaced multiple times. With the amount of large trucks that travel on that road there are always people crossing over the double yellow lines to pass them.

Add Route 100 @ Moseman Ave in Somers to my list as well.....very busy, dangerous, poorly marked and controled intersection. Seems like almost every 7-15 tour I work up in Somers there is an MVA there during rush hour.