Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Brewster gets K-9 patrol

32 posts in this topic

Brewster gets K-9 patrol

By Marcela Rojas • The Journal News • December 5, 2008

BREWSTER - There's a new dog in the village, one that would surely make the deceased longtime Mayor John Cesar rejoice.

His name is Cezar and he's the latest member to join Brewster Police Department. The award-winning German shepherd, who coincidentally came with the name, recently started reporting for duty in the village and will serve a dual purpose of patrol and narcotics detection, officials said.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20081205/NEWS04/812050364

Another part-time job trying to be a full-service department. Isn't Brewster the village that did away with their PD in the 70's? Now they've resurrecting it and are adding specialty services? Next they'll have to add detectives for the narcotics investigations that the new K-9 will be involved with. Then it will be something else and they'll still pack up and go home at midnight.

Wasn't the "PD" just supposed to be a few "constables" to deal with quality of life issues? Boy how that changed!

Yeah, that was a quick aquisition, wasn't this department just started a few years ago? Either way, best of luck to the BPD and hope the new officer(s) have safe careers.

From what I understand, the K9 Officer is retired from another job and had his dog. He asked if he could bring it to work, they said yes. I don't see what the big deal is... Look at how shi++y Brewster's downtown has become due to a lack of law presence. Maybe now they can clean things up a bit.

The cop and the dog are retired from Yonkers, Pat is a great guy and was a great K-9 cop in Yonkers and i'm sure him and his dog will do the same great job up in Brewster, good luck and stay safe brother !!

The cop and the dog are retired from Yonkers, Pat is a great guy and was a great K-9 cop in Yonkers and i'm sure him and his dog will do the same great job up in Brewster, good luck and stay safe brother !!

If the dog is retired, does his retirement affect the hours he can work?

If the dog is retired, does his retirement affect the hours he can work?

LOL!!!! :P

With Pat's +20years of experience in K-9/ESU and his training and experiences recieved in Yonkers which is enough to fill three large binders, he will be an asset anywhere he goes. Pat is an excellent ESU officer, great K-9 handler and always got his hands dirty when the jobs rolled in. Whether it was an pin job, EDP, water job, ropes, swat, medical call, you name it he is qualified. The residents of Brewster and the surrounding departments are lucky to have them.

Another part-time job trying to be a full-service department. Isn't Brewster the village that did away with their PD in the 70's? Now they've resurrecting it and are adding specialty services? Next they'll have to add detectives for the narcotics investigations that the new K-9 will be involved with. Then it will be something else and they'll still pack up and go home at midnight.

Wasn't the "PD" just supposed to be a few "constables" to deal with quality of life issues? Boy how that changed!

This is such a joke. If I remember correct the P.C.Sheriff was giving the village of Brewster 24/7 coverage with 1 patrol for $150,000.00. The village complained it was to much money and stopped the contract. Now they have a part time PD with no night time coverage and a K-9 unit. I am sure this cost alot less than $150,000.00. What a waste of taxpayer money.

Edited by lad12derff

I think that everyone is entitled to complete, competent, and professional police protection 24/7. The article stated that the Village is .5 sqaure miles. My question is, does the Village have a patrol agreement with the Town of Southeast, or are they confined to just the village?

Here in Dutchess, that is common in Rhinebeck and Red Hook, where village departments also patrol the Towns.

To that end, is a county-wide operation a way to even the playing field to ensure that ESU, K-9, Marine, and other Specialty Services are provided equally?

This is such a joke. If I remember correct the P.C.Sheriff was giving the village of Brewster 24/7 coverage with 1 patrol for $150,000.00. The village complained it was to much money and stopped the contract. Now they have a part time PD with no night time coverage and a K-9 unit. I am sure this cost alot less than $150,000.00. What a waste of taxpayer money.

Won't the State Police respond in there if needed at night?

The bottom line is that the department recieved a highly trained officer with a highly decorated already trained dog. The atricle even says he donated the vehicle he drives. No matter what the issues are about the police department they now have an added layer of protection to protect the citizens and the officers during there hours of operation. For $400 a year thats a no brainer for anyone.

Good luck to Pat and Ceasar.

SP has 4 Troopers on duty at night for Southeast/Patterson/Putnam Lake, with an additional 4 working in Somers/North Salem/684 if needed.

With Pat's +20years of experience in K-9/ESU and his training and experiences recieved in Yonkers which is enough to fill three large binders, he will be an asset anywhere he goes. Pat is an excellent ESU officer, great K-9 handler and always got his hands dirty when the jobs rolled in. Whether it was an pin job, EDP, water job, ropes, swat, medical call, you name it he is qualified. The residents of Brewster and the surrounding departments are lucky to have them.

My comment isn't directed at Pat or his dog. I think its commendable that he is willing and able to do it for Brewster. I just think Brewster needs to decide what it wants, needs, and is willing to spend. Having a part-time specialty department is a lot like having a hospital with no emergency room. What's the point?

SP has 4 Troopers on duty at night for Southeast/Patterson/Putnam Lake, with an additional 4 working in Somers/North Salem/684 if needed.

So, they are not without coverage at night then. Not as bad as I thought it was.

From what I understand, the K9 Officer is retired from another job and had his dog. He asked if he could bring it to work, they said yes. I don't see what the big deal is... Look at how shi++y Brewster's downtown has become due to a lack of law presence. Maybe now they can clean things up a bit.

From 9 TO 5?

It was not a matter of SP or Sheriff response at night, just the fact that PCSO gave the protection 24/7 with extra resources from SP if needed. They patrolled the village only. I always thought they did a great job and I am not putting down the new force. I just question how you could complain that $150,000.00 is to much and then go and put together your own force, with cars, tahoes, rent on a building, and employees for less than that money. I do understand the concept of seeing the Village of Brewster PD HQ in town and hope it would prevent crime but what happens after they lock the door at night and go home?

It was not a matter of SP or Sheriff response at night, just the fact that PCSO gave the protection 24/7 with extra resources from SP if needed. They patrolled the village only. I always thought they did a great job and I am not putting down the new force. I just question how you could complain that $150,000.00 is to much and then go and put together your own force, with cars, tahoes, rent on a building, and employees for less than that money. I do understand the concept of seeing the Village of Brewster PD HQ in town and hope it would prevent crime but what happens after they lock the door at night and go home?

I'm only guessing, but perhaps it was because they'd have more control over law enforcement and allocation of resources in their village? Eitherway i'm sure they had there reasons (aside from monetary) to create their own department.

I'm only guessing, but perhaps it was because they'd have more control over law enforcement and allocation of resources in their village? Eitherway i'm sure they had there reasons (aside from monetary) to create their own department.

DING! You win the prize!!! It wasn't that the SO provided substandard service but rather that the Village couldn't control it! Why do you think there are still so many little PD's around instead of merging to provide the comprehensive kind of services/department that we would all benefit from.

The bottom line is they still have to rely on the services of the State Police and Sheriff. They are not 24 hours and they only have a handful of cops - what are they up to? About 10?

the brewster PD is a work in progress and Pat is a great addition, we have to trust that the leaders up there know what they are doing. My thought is that any police protection no matter how many hours it is are better than nothing

Its always a "waste" of taxpayer money, until its your house getting burglarized or you're the victim of a car jacking or its your kid that ends up missing.

Having worked side by side with both Pat and his dog Cezar countless times, I echo Toybuff's sentiment that Pat brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table. Up until his last day of work, he wasn't afraid to get in the middle of things and Cezar is probably one of the best K9s that I've yet to come across. Funny thing is that the DOG probably has more real world experience than some of the people that post on this site.

Pat, good luck with your new gig. The unit isn't the same without you clowns.

Edited by Eagleshield

Easy!

Before this topic goes downhill I want to make it CLEAR

that no one on here is knocking Pat, a well respected Police Officer

or his K9 Cezar.

If this does happen this thread will be shut down.

This is not, I repeat NOT a RANT SITE!

Best of luck to the Brewster Police Department

and the new K9 unit.

Perhaps the Village of Brewster decided it needed a Police Department/K9 Unit for the simple fact that it is overrun with criminals who don't belong in this country... hmm? <_< After the semi-crackdown in Danbury, Brewster has definitely seen an increase in violence and drug activity recently. I do believe a Trooper in Southeast had to shoot a suspect about a year ago, and there have been alot more assaults and narcotics arrests that I'm seeing in the news as of late. Kudos to a town taking efforts to curtail its illegal immigrant population. I know they are in negotiations with ICE to enter their cooperation program, as Danbury is also doing.

Perhaps the Village of Brewster decided it needed a Police Department/K9 Unit for the simple fact that it is overrun with criminals who don't belong in this country... hmm? <_< After the semi-crackdown in Danbury, Brewster has definitely seen an increase in violence and drug activity recently. I do believe a Trooper in Southeast had to shoot a suspect about a year ago, and there have been alot more assaults and narcotics arrests that I'm seeing in the news as of late. Kudos to a town taking efforts to curtail its illegal immigrant population. I know they are in negotiations with ICE to enter their cooperation program, as Danbury is also doing.

Somebody else sees the giant white elephant in the room! I have family in Brewster and in my short lifetime have seen that town change from "Mayberry" into a virtual 3rd world slum.

1. The Trooper involved shooting had nothing to do with immigration.

2. The shooting was in Fieldstone Pond, not in the Village.

So, not sure what your example has to do with this topic.

The point is that crime has recently increased in the Southeast/Brewster area. The village was just the only part that took steps to address the issue. My previous post did make it seem as if the person in the shooting was an illegal, but he was not, he was an intox/EDP, but my larger point remains. The Village of Brewster is taking steps to solve its crime problem without relying solely on PCSO and NYSP (which is not to say that they aren't doing a good job, they most certainly do a great job) but there is something to be said about community policing and focusing on a specific area.

sorry to bump a old thread but i have to ask !

Brewster Police Department thats it ?

what about the sheriff's dept. . ?

and i think having k-9's in Brewster is just stupid there is no reason for it from what i see day to day but hey maby i'm wrong

Just out of curiosity, what hours do the Brewster and Cold Spring PD's cover? Are either of them 24 hours?

How many officers does each have?