Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Port Chester going to 60 Control?

72 posts in this topic

Awhile ago, I had heard Port Chester FD was going to 60 Control for dispatch....anyone know the status of this? If it's true, I hope Fire Control adds staff and expands facilities to keep up with their ever-increasing call volume.

Yes sir!! As of Jan 17th, 2005 we're switching over to 60-Control.

Anyone know if Mamaroneck Village has gone to 60 control? Ive been hearing 60 dispatch them quite often these days.

The VMFD went to 60 quite a while ago.

Well that just shows how much i pay attention now doesnt it.

Thanks RES20CUE

60 control is going to need more dispatchers port chester did 1660 calls this yr u tell me can they handle the extra volume

PC was dispatched last week to a rescue call during the storm by 60 control flawlessly so hopefully it will be a sign of things to come. The next few weeks should be intresting to say the least.

Will any of PC's operations change due to this switch?

there's no more 10-40, no more duty/district(now 1st and 2nd closest engines), and the map changed just a little

I thought i heard portchester dispatching themselves this morning, any news on how the switch is going?

THEY'LL BE SORRY, 60 IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!! :sad: :roll:

we are going to 60 control on tuesday 1-18-05 at 07:00 hrs we kno 60 control is not the answer

If 60 Control isn't the answer - what is?

There's no perfect solution in life. But a fear of change will prevent you from progressing towards the success you deserve!!

It's like Brussel Sprouts. You have to at least try them once to confirm that you do in fact hate them. You can't rely on the word of others...

That is a good way to look at it, I agree it will be in the trial stages of course and as a backup we know we can always resort back to the way we were doing things if this switch winds up not working. For the most part i would say everyone is optimistic but that is my take on the matter.

if 60-Control works for alot of other departments here in the county, why can't it work for us? i think it will work out just fine...as long as everyone works with it.

well it worked out well for us, Katonah switched over almost 10 years ago we have tripled our call volume,no where as high as Portchester,but as long as you set up everything ( Run Cards, Apparatus assignments,Mutual Aid etc.) it will be done right we have been very pleased with everything I know while I was Chief it made my life easier.

Hopefully with changing to 60, Portchester and Rye Brook will finally use the correct 10 code for responding 10-17 :-P

Res20cue - we're being advised to use the "plain English" system...i think it's a good idea to get the point across easier or for newer members

If 60 Control isn't the answer - what is?

There's no perfect solution in life.  But a fear of change will prevent you from progressing towards the success you deserve!!

It's like Brussel Sprouts.  You have to at least try them once to confirm that you do in fact hate them.  You can't rely on the word of others...

BRUSSEL SPROUTS WON'T HURT OR KILL YOU, SO TO SAY TRY THEM IS OK, BUT DELAYS IN DISPATCHING WILL. ENOUGH SAID.

Where's the delay?

Once the info is transferred, it is entered into the CAD and dispatched.

Nothing like PD's that send cars first. Or FD's that landline other stations to respond before paging out everyone else. Or some Departments that call Chiefs before getting the call dispatched.

Res20cue - we're being advised to use the "plain English" system...i think it's a good idea to get the point across easier or for newer members

I agree, plain English is a good idea- over the 10 code, if people don't know the 10 codes, or use the wrong ones.

Using 10 codes cut down on radio traffic to an extent and as to people not knowing them, there is no excuse for that. Knowing how to communicate is key as well as getting the point across simply and clearly is the goal.

On an update PC has switched to 60-Control as of 7 am today.

Going off topic for a sec as well to talk about 10 codes.

The main problems with 10 Codes in this county is that for every agency, there is a different meaning! That's ridiculous. There needs to be a standard set of 10 codes that everyone adheres to (Snickers at thought of eveyrone adhering to the same standard in the WC)

10 Codes aren't neccarily bad, and there a heck of a lot more buffy, fun, and quick to say then plain english.

Don't get me wrong though, Plain english has it's advantages as well.

I think it would make mutual aid requests easier if the county

was all dispatched from the same location (60).

NOT only should we all use the same 10-codes, but we should all have the same accountability tags.

IMO, every call we had today went smoothly...just a little confusion during the airport call but I think this will work out for the best.

I think we had about 6 or 7 calls thus far and there werent any major problems or flaws with dispatching. Another advantage of going to the county was being able to get the call location via alpha page to the cell phone. Works very well and comes in about 1 minute or less after the tone drops.

60 control is going to need more dispatchers port chester did 1660 calls this yr  u tell me can they handle the extra volume

westchester county held a civil service exam for dispatchers in October.

The list of candidates should be populated by March 2005.

60 Control has had the same number of Dispatchers since January 2000. We have taken on approx. 9 Fire or EMS agencies in the past 5 years.

If anyone would care to do the math. If Portchester and Rye Brook do 1600 calls per year it is an average of 5 calls per day.

Wow, i feel totally out of the loop, i haven't checked this forum in awhile lol! I was going to make a post in regards to 60-Control dispatching Port Chester, thinking it would be a new topic, guess i was wrong. I've heard several Port Chester calls dispatched by 60 recently and they all seemed to run smoothly. Port Chester seemed like they did a decent job of dispatching, any major reasons for the switch? I do agree that a centralized dispatching center makes things alot simpler & easier to manage responses, especially in mutual aid cases. I also agree that Westchester should go to "plain-talk" as well, but thats another story. We all know that many people do not know many 10-codes or even worse, use the wrong ones at times, making things a bit confusing. We have guys in my firehouse that either don't know alot of 10-codes or have forgotten them & they will use "plain-talk" instead. Frankly, i could care less, as long as i know what rigs are on the road & i can understand whatever else is being transmitted. Anyway, we've beaten the 10-codes topic to death, so thats enough of that.

Good luck to PCFD's on their switch to 60-Control! 60-Control is a great agency that is operated by highly trained professionals. I'm sure that there won't be any major problems with this switch & i hope all goes well, best of luck to both 60 & the PCFD!