Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Passing a responding Fire apparatus in an Ambulance

23 posts in this topic

Is i illegal to pass a responding emergency vehicle doing the speed limit with lights a sirens by another emergency vehicle into on coming traffic?

Domenick

Edited by efd184

Is i illegal to pass a responding emergency vehicle doing the speed limit with lights a sirens by another emergency vehicle into on coming traffic?

Domenick

No.

I can't answer about the legality of it but I would say it's very unprofessional and dangerous. There's no good reason for it.... I don't care what the emergency is.

With that being said, I've done it as professional courtsey at points... If i'm in an ambulance responding to a FD driven call (IE MVAs), I'll pull over to let the FD pass (even if I'm responding too)... but if I'm first responding with the FD to a medical emregency, i'll pull over to let an ambulance pass.

Maybe i'm just nice though :o

I'd never PASS another moving, responding vehicle though.

Edited by mikeinet

Were they going to the same call? Several times I've passed a vehicle with lights on because they were either lolly gagging on the way to low priority job or maybe cruising the block looking for a call.

Domenick

Not illegal.

Were they going to the same call? Several times I've passed a vehicle with lights on because they were either lolly gagging on the way to low priority job or maybe cruising the block looking for a call.

going to the same call doing the speed limit

Not at all illegal, but in bad taste. On the flip side I have had a PD '10-13 with a confirmed cop shot where I was flying up the street in the ambulance and both marked and unmarked RMPS were pulling me over and letting me pass them. That was an odd experience but in retrospect they did the right thing.

How about to get better apparatus placement? Ex1. Ladder passing an engine to get better positioning. Ex2. An engine passing an ambulance while both are responding to a fire.

If it is done safely (with communication over the air) I don't see a problem with it personally.

How about to get better apparatus placement? Ex1. Ladder passing an engine to get better positioning. Ex2. An engine passing an ambulance while both are responding to a fire.

If it is done safely (with communication over the air) I don't see a problem with it personally.

You're right... with communication and with one unit pulling over so the other can safely pass it's not a problem. But that's not what was stated in the original post.

You're right... with communication and with one unit pulling over so the other can safely pass it's not a problem. But that's not what was stated in the original post.

It can be done safely without communication over the air as well. It's not often that I have a fire apparatus picking up ground on me, but I definitely know when a police car wants to get by me and there doesn't need to be a word spoken on the radio. For the most part, if someone comes up behind me in a hurry with their lights going, I'm going to let them pass regardless.

I guess there is a matter of professionalism and appropriateness. I don't care how fast I am going in a fire apparatus, I'm not going to pull over for a police car or ambulance if I'm first due to a structure fire. By the same token, if I'm going to an assault in an ambulance, I'd most definitely want the police car in front of me. If someone just blew by me when I was responding without me yielding right-of-way, I would imagine their supervisor would be hearing from me. Then again, if they did the same while I was driving down the street in my POV, their supervisor would probably get the same phone call.

That brings up a good point. I've had a few times driving the ambulance going to MVAs where a cop has pulled up behind me on a two lane road and I know that he can (and would like to) go faster than me but I wasn't really sure what the etiquette was. Same thing driving the engine with the ambulance behind me.

It may not be illegal but reckless IMHO. Passing an apparatus without being given the right away can lead to a very bad result - even death.

I don't care how fast I am going in a fire apparatus, I'm not going to pull over for a police car or ambulance if I'm first due to a structure fire. By the same token, if I'm going to an assault in an ambulance, I'd most definitely want the police car in front of me. If someone just blew by me when I was responding without me yielding right-of-way, I would imagine their supervisor would be hearing from me. Then again, if they did the same while I was driving down the street in my POV, their supervisor would probably get the same phone call.

Don't assume that they're going to the same job as you. It is very possible that the police are going to a crime in progress call while you're going to your fire call or the ambulance to an unrelated emergency elsewhere.

If you're talking about passing in a no passing zone, it's just plain stupid. If you're talking about passing in an area where passing is legal and traffic conditions will allow it, what's the difference if it's the plumbers van passing a dump truck or an ambulance passing a fire truck.

If I was in a flycar following a slow fire truck I would simply ask over the radio to pass by as a courtesy depending on the severity of the call. I would also expect the driver of the truck to wave me by as well. I see no problem in doing so as long as there is some comunication. Dont wanna piss anyone off you know..

Edited by paratrooper75

Apparently not illegal. Which surprises me. I always thought it was illegal to pass a responding emergency vehicle.

With a top speed of about 62 mph, we are always getting passed on the Thruway. Most of the time now we ride the center to take up both lanes but we still have people who will pass on the shoulder. Usually we later pass them as they are sitting in the backed up traffic.

I remember one stupid act when the responding FAST engine passed us on the right as we were laying in to a structure fire.

Same speed limit or same speed?

While it has been so posted that it is not illegal, I do agree on context for the little info given that it could be considered unprofessional. Have I passed slower moving appartus...yes. I've even done it in my engine where the other engine dispatched comes out of the same station and is a hog going up hills. But it has to be known that it is going to be done and done in a safe manner.

If you're driving lights and siren, no matter what speed, I don't think you would be looking out for someone passing you. Too many what ifs for the second vehicle to pass the first one. Way too dangerouse for both vehicles.

If you're driving lights and siren, no matter what speed, I don't think you would be looking out for someone passing you. Too many what ifs for the second vehicle to pass the first one. Way too dangerouse for both vehicles.

On a dry road on a sunny day if you're not doing at least the speed limit wether its because you're approaching your destination, looking for something, or just dogging it; I'm passing you. I'll make noise and stay wide to your left but unless there is some obvious reason that I should be going the same speed as you I'm coming around.

How about at night going to the same call on a hilly road with potential for black ice? Oh yeah and one is a ambulance and the other being a fire chief?

On a dry road on a sunny day if you're not doing at least the speed limit wether its because you're approaching your destination, looking for something, or just dogging it; I'm passing you. I'll make noise and stay wide to your left but unless there is some obvious reason that I should be going the same speed as you I'm coming around.

That's a lot of faith you have in the other driver.

and when you kill someone you go to jail!

We all read stories all the time about members of emergency services doing stupid things that either injure or kill themselves or worse, innocent people. With an attitude like this, I'm thinking we might be reading about you one day.

Maybe you should think about sitting in another EVOC class.... and pay attention this time.