Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Brainstorming: How Can We Get More Members Posting?

49 posts in this topic

Instead of having the 10 most recent topics on the EmtBravo.com page I would say either eliminate that completely or make the list longer. Often when I get on the site I will look and those 10 topics see if there is anything new in the picture topics and log back off if there is nothing that interests me in the list of 10 topics. Also sometimes I come on here find a topic I'm interested in, read the posts and someone has either said what I was thinking or I don't have anything to say. I'll admit I mainly use this site for the pictures that are posted as they are always good pictures and they always tell the story better that an incident alert or the news does.

I have noticed that as well..... Why is that done? As a mod in other forums that is micro managing and frowned upon.

nvm :)

How about more points for posting and increase the membership levels to become the different colors. ;)

Seriously???

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I think you are missing the point of this website, which to me is: A.) Trying to desiminate information to our brothers. B.) Make us better firefighters. C.)Keep us well informed/entertained.

It's not to say, you're more important, impressive, knowledgable, because you're at a higher membership level or have more "points". To me, that only serves to divide us more.

:huh:

1. Not having to write your life story to be "verified"

2. Not being picky in what members write and how members write.

3. Let people actually speak their mind without being censored.

...... Just a few

." VERY WELL SAID "

Two reasons I can think of off-hand. Maybe people don't post because their supervisors at their jobs read this forum. If they post something, it may not be the view of the supervisor or company they work for and it could be held against them. This could range from protocols to anything. Also I noticed that even the smallest topic on here has the potential to be an all out war. If person "A" doesn't agree with person "B", the bashing usually starts. Just look at the start of this thread for example. The "staff" was just asking on how to get more members to post. That is why I lurk and usually don't post anymore. To those who say "then leave", I come here for information on what is happening in the Hudson Valley. Maybe when we can all be civil, I as well as other lurkers will post on here. I will now sit back and wait for the attacks on my post. Stay safe and warm out there.

Edited by orangEMT246

I forgot to mention, can we get back to how we can get the "lurkers" to start posting, and stop with this back and forth nonsense?

I guess I should be careful in what I say otherwise I will be sent to EMTBravo timeout.

If the "lurkers" really want to post they will post. Is it going to be made policy that you can not "lurk" on this forum?

Seth, I honestly think that one of the biggest detractors in here are some of the attitudes exhibited by both some volunteers and some career firefighters. One would hope that this forum could be a positive source of an exchange of ideas and opinions, but all too many times, people are condemned or skewered when they express themselves and certain people, who tend to be very vocal in here, publically work to humiliate them or embarass them. Getting into specifics here will have no positive outcome; we all know who the major players are.

I know of several people personally, both career and volunteer, who refuse to post in here due to all the foolishness and nitpicking; they are not looking for a fight, rather a place to have an open dialogue with their fellow firefigthers irregardless of employment status and as such post on other forums which are a little more tame and open minded.

While the Moderators do their best to control the backbiting and bickering that occurs in here, there is a certain level of subtle attitude issues that are continuely present in many of the threads and this is something that only the people in here who post can modify. While some of us may have a tendency to exhibit some level of sarcasm in our posts, the least we can do is be civil with one another.

I honestly think that if as a group in general, we can control our words, actions and in some cases, our language, more people might be tempted to post in this forum.

Hey Seth not sure this has been brought up, but revamp the "PM" system. Promote more interaction between the members which could spill out in the forum.

I am not sure it is possible to get more people to post more often, because sometimes there is just nothing one can add to a discussion. I read a thread today, as a matter of fact that was very interesting and informative. I agreed with most of what I read in that thread. But I had nothing constructive to add to the thread, and I do not like posting one line replies that serve no purpose other than to raise my post count.

I don’t think that there is too much information being requested to become verified. I remember when the whole issue was brought up about people having to put their age range in the profiles. That didn’t keep people from posting. I am slightly troubled about the idea that some posters can get a temporary waiver to hide information that is required of the rest of us, but that really has no impact on how much or how little I personally post.

Splitting threads when the tangents go way off topic is a good thing. I think that might actually get more people to post, if say the original subject was important to them but by the time they get to a thread, it has gone so far off topic that they no longer wish to post.

I agree that there is sometimes an apparent double standard present here. Some departments or services seem to be fair game, while others do seem to be more protected. I however do not think it would be possible to discuss some of the more important issues we have had here, if we can not comment negatively about the management of a department, be it Chiefs or Mayors. Some leeway has to be allowed.

One thing that might help encourage people to post is if everybody followed the much used QTIP rule. It is also quite possible to make a statement about this site in general and not have it directed at any specific moderator or administrator, but at the site as a whole. In most cases, these are not personal attacks. Someone who is considering becoming more active may well be turned away from increasing their activity by seeing the poor manner that constructive criticism is often received in here. Threads like this are a great way to solicit ideas, but they also follow the old saying: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I do not think there should be a no lurking policy here, for two reasons. One, I know of a couple of members here who have never posted, but signed up just to read posts. Are they contributing, no, but are they being informed and possibly learning something, yes. Since that is one of the stated goals of this site, then I would say that it is meeting that goal. The second reason is that if people have to post that will lead to senseless or inane posts made just to meet a posting requirement. That will derail many more threads than we can even imagine. That in turn, might make members dread coming here, and ultimately work against the site.

Looks like contraversy seems to get things running in a direction, lol. I know you guys do a great job keeping the site smooth and running clean. But as you can see we have a couple of very sensitive discussion currently running that are staying civil. This is in tow with today's society and to be honest I think it makes the site look better.

The other issue sometimes that I think occurs is that there are those who don't have the technical knowledge or experience to get into some of the discussions or some think they do and are so way off base that it makes it hard for some not to jump on their posts. Its no different then conversations....why do people always refer to the weather? Its an easy (excuse the pun) ice breaker and also is something that everyone usually has some knowledge about. Same thing with posts...weather, lights, news articles they can read. Its comfort zone stuff. If we can find a way to get more involved in the serious discussion that will help also.

Maybe we can find a way to also do a more direct Q and A type thing for those who have questions but are timid to ask. Get a few of the experienced and knowledgable ones on the site only to have access to them (kinda like the incident alerts) to be able to answer. You have guys like Izzy, NY10570, JFlynn, Benz etc. who would be awesome to be able to guide and offer insight. Just a thought.

when one of your posts get deleted how about a little coutesy of a p.m telling you why it got deleted

One thing that might help encourage people to post is if everybody followed the much used QTIP rule.

I have to finally ask, What does QTIP mean? :lol:

Edited by Chris192
Compliance with policy on profanity/text speak abbreviations for profanity.

I have to finally ask, What does QTIP mean? :lol:

LOL... was going to ask the same thing... its that EMTBravo lingo..

Just to add my two cents...

There are rules in place set forth by the owners and moderators but they get modified.. No cursing means no cursing.. Typing "profanity in text speak" is not a curse word and not everybody uses it so why make another rule for the few people that use it.... Would that be considered breaking chops? Is that a turn off? Do the majority of the "lurkers" look at that and say "what a joke" and not post because of it? Maybe or maybe not...

I do get my fill reading the threads and most of the time everything is said so why add to it or what i have to say nobody wants to hear because it goes against the grain of what other people are saying so I keep my fingers from typing...

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by Chris192
compliance with site policy on profanity/text speak abbreviations for profanity.

I took the last few minutes to read all the posts under this thread and just wanted to add my 2 cents.

First let me say that this is a great site for all of us in the emergency services and I'd like to thank the moderators for their hard work.

Second, I don't think that punctuation and proper grammer are all that important, we are public servants, not academic scholars.

I don't see the problem with members discussing problems in the threads, I think having group discussions about problems on here are a great way to get it hashed out and move on from it.

I personally don't see the problem with the verification procedure, anyone who really wants to be a part of this forum won't have a problem getting verified.

I realize I haven't shed any new light on this topic but like I said, I just wanted to add my 2 cents...

Happy New Year to Everyone !!!!!!

by the looks of the feedback i think you have gotten an answer as to why people have been steered away from posting. i for one only post on things that really need to be addressed ever since your post can be deleted if someone doesnt like what you say. truth is if it needs to be said it probably should be and should be a learning lesson, thought thats what this site was meant for

by the looks of the feedback i think you have gotten an answer as to why people have been steered away from posting. i for one only post on things that really need to be addressed ever since your post can be deleted if someone doesnt like what you say. truth is if it needs to be said it probably should be and should be a learning lesson, thought thats what this site was meant for

Here's a perfect example of a completly misinformed member that a topic like this can create or further propel inaccurate information. Let's straighten some things out.

1. I am not looking for information as to why people are steered away from posting. I am looking for ideas on how to encourage members that want to post to post.

2. Posts don't get deleted because someone doesn't like what you have to say. That is complete nonsense.

3. This site is here to share information. Sometimes, people get so wrapped up in their own egos, that hey forget that.

How about a tutorial on how to start a topic?

That is an excellent idea, and the type of ideas I was looking for when I started this thread.

This thread is now closed. Period.

Any "Addendums" to this thread posted will be deleted.

I have reviewed all the members posts in this thread.

If you have concerns, contact me at seth@emtbravo.com