GFD70

FDNY Company Nicknames

24 posts in this topic

From 1/15/05 Daily News

Funky FDNY nicknames to flame out 

BY MELISSA GRACE, OREN YANIV 

and ALISON GENDAR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS 

Shamed by a year of drunken arrests and sexcapades, FDNY brass are pushing to ban some of the city's more colorful - and outrageous - firehouse nicknames.

The "Happy Hookers" of Engine 227 in Red Hook, Brooklyn, and the notorious "Animal House" moniker of Engine 75/Ladder 33 in the Bronx are among 31 firehouse mottos that could be scrapped, sources said yesterday. 

Fire Department spokesman David Billig confirmed that FDNY honchos were reviewing all department patches to make sure the nicknames meet department regulations for content and size.

But firefighters said the decision already had been handed down - slogans on 31 of the city's 358 firehouses would have to go.

Engine 151/Ladder 76 in Tottenville, S.I., where a drunken brawl nearly killed a firefighter on New Year's Eve 2003, already has ditched its "Southern Comfort" nickname for the more dignified "South Shore Pride."

The "Animal House" logo in the Bronx has been scrutinized ever since two firefighters were accused in August of having sex with a groupie inside the firehouse.

Bronx firefighters said the nickname dates back decades, to when horse-drawn rigs answered fire calls. But neighbors said its origin no longer matters.

"It demeans the firefighters and it demeans the people who they serve," said Bronx resident Ronette Jones, 34.

For firehouses untouched by scandal, the fuss seemed foolish.

"We're losing the name we had for years," said a firefighter at the Queens Hollis station, known as the "Hollis Hogs."

The squad had used the slogan for about 20 years and hadn't thought of a new nickname yet. Emblems were still up in the firehouse, and on its rigs and uniforms.

Bill Aduleit, who works near the Red Hook firehouse that will likely lose its "Happy Hookers" slogan, said he understands the changes.

"But I look at it this way - all I care about is when I call 911 they show up," he said.

TOO HOT TO HANDLE?

Here are some of the fire company nicknames deemed potentially offensive by FDNY brass:

Hollis Hogs, Engine 301/Ladder 150 in Hollis, Queens

Happy Hookers, Engine 227 in Red Hook, Brooklyn

Harlem Zoo, Engine 59/Ladder 30 in Harlem

Animal House, Engine 75/Ladder 33 in the Bronx 

Originally published on January 15, 2005 

PLEASE!!!!!

A company motto, no matter what it is, is something that the members of that station can get behind and be proud of. Does a slogan really mean everything? What about the outstanding job the firefighters do when you call 911?

I recall a lower Westchester Department that had a motto "Sticking it to you." I thought it was clever and witty. Did that take anything away from the guys in that FD that do their jobs time after time and tend to get it "Stuck TO THEM?!" Nope.

The City of New York is turning into Westchester County! Too much whining and complaining, before you know it all the cabs in NYC will be replaced with soccer mom vans!!!!!

Pardon the rant - but gimme a break!!!!

I agree that guys get behind the name. Are they gonna make E-62 L-32 change their company patch and logo, "The Gunhill Gang", cause it depicts italians as mobsters? i think the patch is cool and i am sure the guys love it too. i mean "The Hollis Hogs" is offending who, the rampant pig population in the area? :D These guys risk the butts everyday and stare death in the face. If they want a funny slogan, let them have it.

Anyone know which others are up on the chopping block?

I like Eng 89 Lad 50 "Cuckoos Nest"

How about...."La Casa Caca?" I believe that belongs to E73 in the Bronx? I love that one lol!

That's what happens when you have a billionaire mayor who refuses to recognize the city's public safety employees and a fire commissioner who is about as inept as they come.

I was discussing this with someone earlier this evening, and they brought up a point. Mind you this person is not in the job. This is a punishment for all the garbage that has gone on in the past year. This is downtown saying, there are certain elements in this department that have made all of you look bad, now, we're going to do something to spruce up our image.

As for E-62/L-32, that image, as you probably know, is of the two cartoon bad guys, Rocky and Muggsy, made famous from a couple of Bugs Bunny Cartoons "Shut up shuttin up!!!" dressed up as firefighters, In and of itself, it's a pretty humorous logo. Although I doubt it is one that would offend. Maybe scream copyright infringement, but that's another story.

Punishing the fire department as a whole because of the misdeeds of several bad seeds is a bit extreme; instead of removing several of the blue-humored company slogans, why doesn't FDNY brass implement better ethics training for their staff? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Punishing the fire department as a whole because of the misdeeds of several bad seeds is a bit extreme; instead of removing several of the blue-humored company slogans, why doesn't FDNY brass implement better ethics training for their staff? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I agree with this totally. why make everyone suffer when it is a couple of houses screwin it up for everyone else

It boils down to this, public perception. You may be the sweetest guy on earth with a heart of gold, much like myself, :wink: but one of your colleagues gets locked up for possesion of cocaine, or possesion of kiddie p***. It's all over the news, and there will be people out there who will then make the blanket statement, oh (insert occupation here) are a bunch of line snorting kid touchers.

It does happen. IMHO this has already happened. Look at some of the news articles where the locals get interviewed. Read the negative comments. Nevermind everybody else in the firehouse or any place of business is a stand up person who would gladly give a stranger the shirt off of their back. The broad brush has been taken out and you've been painted as a dirtbag because someone else was an idiot.

It boils down to this, public perception. You may be the sweetest guy on earth with a heart of gold, much like myself,  :wink:  but one of your colleagues gets locked up for possesion of cocaine, or possesion of kiddie p***. It's all over the news, and there will be people out there who will then make the blanket statement, oh (insert occupation here) are a bunch of line snorting kid touchers. 

It does happen. IMHO this has already happened. Look at some of the news articles where the locals get interviewed. Read the negative comments. Nevermind everybody else in the firehouse or any place of business is a stand up person who would gladly give a stranger the shirt off of their back. The broad brush has been taken out and you've been painted as a dirtbag because someone else was an idiot.

Extremely Well put, JBE =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Oh I forgot, as previously mentioned, Hollis Hogs?? How could anyone except for a pig find that offensive??

And as for E-89/TL-50, there was talk to rename them Hurleys' Heroes, after the local gin mill down the block, but after recent events, I do hope they reconsidered.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that Daily News article. My father was in both L-32 and then E-73 when he was first promoted. Company patches are a reflection of the area, the crews, and the history, and that they want to slap some more wrists and bring morale down even farther is enough to make you throw up.

The question is not wether or not these patches were thought to be offensive, as every patch has to be submitted to division for final approval, which the article touched upon. One day the commissioner and the c.o.d. woke up and thought, 'you know what, I bet all those company patches are really offending the community.'

There's not much more they can do to strip morale down in the city, as eveyone is being punished for the misstakes of a few people. This is a ridiculous overreaction in an effort to flex the department muscle.

Like that gentleman in the article menitoned, he doesn't care, as long as when/if he calls 911 they come. I'm sure that 99% of the people in the community don't even know what their local firehouses's patch is, and I seriously doubt that anyone, including Ms Ronette Jones, really and truly care's about what patch her firefighters wear.

I think "Hurley's Heroes" would be a great name; I live in the neighborhood, but on the other side by E-72, and I think the name for E-89/TL-50 would be really fitting because Hurley's is a pretty well-known establishment throughout the neighborhood. Too bad it probably wouldn't go over too well.

All i can say is Bloomberg!!! As some of you have mentioned, its apparent that this man is not quick to be on the side of emergency service workers (i.e. FD, PD or EMS).

It is absolutely absurd to start making these companies change their nicknames after all these years. Their nicknames have nothing to do with their abilities to fight fires or do any other task. As stated by other members, when people call 911, they want experienced & trained personel to show up. I don't think they care too much what it may say on their patches or trucks! Making companies get rid of their nicknames is not going to accomplish anything whatsoever. The City needs to spend more time worrying about things that actually matter!

The City needs to spend more time worrying about things that actually matter!

Ya like ethics in your employees

All i can say is Bloomberg!!! As some of you have mentioned, its apparent that this man is not quick to be on the side of emergency service workers (i.e. FD, PD or EMS).

He's not on the side of ANY City Workers.

I

That's what happens when you elect a man who has so much money that he cannot relate to the average Joe. Put Bloomy on a fire engine or give him a gun and drop him in the middle of Bed-Stuy or put him on a bus with a patient in traumatic arrest; he'll $--t himself inside of 5 minutes. The man needs to go.

For further reading, check this out. It certainly points out what most of us have said.

http://ufalocal94.org/652_main/bloomberg_ad_01_05.html

The city should leave the companies alone and worry more about schools , the budget, and public trans. . The logos have been around for a long time and have not really offended anyone before. The FD and Police have the toughest jobs in the country. So Mr. Mayor and his administration should just leave them alone. I see nothing wrong with a company having a funny name or logo.

What's going to happen when the next scandal breaks after they've taken the nicks away?

My opinion is let them keep their nicknames, but if the names are outdated to the neighborhood then why not be proactive and change them. The companies need to see that the department had a black eye and should try to remove the sterotypes from thier image. We all know public perception is that we sit around drink beer and sleep, while waiting for alarms. We all should try to bolster our image, especially volunteers (my own department is horrible at this). Don't forget this isnt a city think this is a firefighter thing, we all have our problems with the 1 out of 100 members. As a taxpayer and a firefighter I would be offended if my department or comapny was named after a gin mill right after members in neighboring companies were beating the crap out of each other wihile drunk.

Heres another point how come we always say do the right thing stop following tradition and start doing what is right but not changing a company motto because it is tradition is ok?

You're right on target ***23! Our tradition shouldn't become one of intolerence.

However, in some cases there needs to be discretion on both sides of the issue. As in the case with the "Happy Hookers".

That is a truly intelligent and creative slogan. It uses something from the general population (book and movie title) and makes it relevant to the neighborhood (Red Hook) and the job (pike pole {hook}). It isn't often that you get to knock one out of the park like that. It demonstrates the inate intelligence and creativity of the firefighters in the FDNY, as does the logo art found on the rigs.

Unfortunately when you become too PC you inevitably have to throw the baby out with the bath water....

What really needs to happen here is that the brass take a good look at the underlying problems that are leading to these behavorial issues. And recognize that theses are symptoms of a deeper problem that is troubling the staff. Cosmetic cover-ups will temporarily mask over the problem and come back to bite you hard.

It's good to see the administration is starting to address the many problems in the FDNY from the "most serious" on down. If this is all they have to worry about, they should consider themselves lucky. Just going to prove that the city mentality of putting paint over the cracks transends all the agencies of the Big Apple.