Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Mount Vernon NY the mid 80's

28 posts in this topic

I found some old photo's that are black and white that have been in a box for many years. All photo's are from the late great Paul Caramuto who was the official photographer for the Members Assc. of M.V.F.D. .

1st up is a 3rd alarm fire at Beck Automotive repair shop at Bond St off of Oak St. Chief H. Campbell was O/I/C on this date May 30, 1986 and is in the middle of the photo.

post-1209-1230654419.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Same fire May 30, 1986

The rear of the building.

Photo By: Paul Caramuto

post-1209-1230654515.jpg

Next is a fire that took place on Beekman Ave off of South Fulton Ave on March 13, 1987

This is the front of the fire build. Note that FDMV Ladder 3 was useing an FDNY spare tiller (former L-5).

post-1209-1230654708.jpg

Beekman Ave March 13, 1997

Rear of the Building. Note the members on the rear fire escape (That is me on the ladder going up.

post-1209-1230654820.jpg

Beekman Ave March 13, 1987

Outside lines shut down at this point.

post-1209-1230654897.jpg

Beekman Ave March 13, 1987

All members have been pulled out of the building for outside opp's.

That is me on the far left.

post-1209-1230655052.jpg

I'm still looking for more photo's that some other persons may have. I will try and get them andscan them on here.

Thank god not all of the history was sold by one corupted member of the volunteers and you know who you are Jerry.

Chris

I'm still looking for more photo's that some other persons may have. I will try and get them andscan them on here.

Thank god not all of the history was sold by one corupted member of the volunteers and you know who you are Jerry.

Chris

Ooohhhh ! That hurt !!!

But all true Rich all true.

The man would sell you shoes with your feet still in them.

Chris

I thought Volunteers in FDMV wore Red Helmets back then?

I thought Volunteers in FDMV wore Red Helmets back then?

the red helmets came in 1990 or so. Before that it was black helmet.

Here is something from the late 70's: XV. Jurisdiction: This court retains jurisdiction of this action for such further orders as may be necessary or appropiate. At any time after 5 yrs subsequent to the date of the entry of this consent judgment,any city or state defendant may move the court upon 60 days notice to the other parties to this consent judgment,for "DISSOLUTION" of this consent judgment with respect to such defendant; and in considering whether the consent judgment should be so "DISSOLVED'', the court will take into account whether that defendant has complied with this consent judgment and whether the objectives of the consent judgment have been achieved!

* ALMOST 30 YRS AGO,THIS IS THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF THE VULCAN DECREE THAT MUST HAVE BEEN DELETED OR JUST FORGOT ABOUT!

Here is something from the late 70's: XV. Jurisdiction: This court retains jurisdiction of this action for such further orders as may be necessary or appropiate. At any time after 5 yrs subsequent to the date of the entry of this consent judgment,any city or state defendant may move the court upon 60 days notice to the other parties to this consent judgment,for "DISSOLUTION" of this consent judgment with respect to such defendant; and in considering whether the consent judgment should be so "DISSOLVED'', the court will take into account whether that defendant has complied with this consent judgment and whether the objectives of the consent judgment have been achieved!

* ALMOST 30 YRS AGO,THIS IS THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF THE VULCAN DECREE THAT MUST HAVE BEEN DELETED OR JUST FORGOT ABOUT!

What's that written in EBONICS? Say What?

What, was there an order out back then not to where any Scott Packs? I see 2 guys with SCBA donned.

Edited by FirNaTine

What, was there an order out back then not to where any Scott Packs? I see 2 guys with SCBA donned.

It was the 80's

In LAYMANS terms- at any point in time that the "QUOTAS" have been reached the decree can be revisited! Not once that I know of has this happened, at this point on the firefighter level there is 11 more of them than us! And that is where that word Dissolution comes in, maybe someone from the JN would like to do an article on the decree from the 80's?

Edited by hudson144

There was a time there was only 2 Scott's on a rig, then went to 3. Also remember back in the 70's and 80's Scott's were not really used when doing exterier operations.

In LAYMANS terms- at any point in time that the "QUOTAS" have been reached the decree can be revisited! Not once that I know of has this happened, at this point on the firefighter level there is 11 more of them than us! And that is where that word Dissolution comes in, maybe someone from the JN would like to do an article on the decree from the 80's?

It sounds like it's time for that Decree to be put to bed, once and for all. Enough is a enough already! Why doesn't the Union fight it? Are they afraid of not being politically correct and making enemies? Too Bad!!!!!!!!!!

There was a time there was only 2 Scott's on a rig, then went to 3. Also remember back in the 70's and 80's Scott's were not really used when doing exterier operations.

...Yea.....and interior operations too (cough, cough!).

In The Third Picture the one of the ladder is that an old FDNY rig or did the mv just fall off ?

In The Third Picture the one of the ladder is that an old FDNY rig or did the mv just fall off ?

Just don't look at the pictures you should read what goes with the photo.

Next is a fire that took place on Beekman Ave off of South Fulton Ave on March 13, 1987

This is the front of the fire build. Note that FDMV Ladder 3 was useing an FDNY spare tiller (former L-5).

Yes FDNY loaned that truck to FDMV for some time back then.

Cpage

Looks like even back then the brothers in the Vern were getting the short end of the stick.

Here is one from a Large fire on 4th Ave.

This Capt. Robert Stiller of Truck Co. 1 removing Jewlery from the case in the window.

Photo by: Paul Caramuto

post-1209-1231114238.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Here is one from a Large fire on 4th Ave.

This Capt. R. Stiller of Truck Co. 1 removing Jewlery from the case in the window.

Remember Chris, 2 R Stiller'. Rob and Rich

This Capt. R. Stiller of Truck Co. 1 removing Jewlery from the case in the window.

I would not show that to some of the new probies, they might not understand he was saving it for the owner(s)

Thks Bnechis... I have caught grief about that photo for over 25 yrs.... nd yes lot of folks might not understand we were removing all the contents and turning over to the owner of the store

Was that the Fanny Farmer/Bee Hive Fire on the Corner of 4th Avenue and 1st Street from the Early 80's? (Jewelry Store was also involved I believe)? If I remember, that was a huge fire in Mount Vernon FD's History.

Yep, that was he one.... happened the week before Easter