Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Car Fire Drill @ the Wassaic Firehouse - 1/5/09

34 posts in this topic

Thought I would share some photos of our car fire training drill from last evening, it went very good and our new members did an excellent job.

post-16297-1231278637.jpg

post-16297-1231278649.jpg

post-16297-1231278658.jpg

Edited by markmets415

post-16297-1231278755.jpg

post-16297-1231278767.jpg

post-16297-1231278790.jpg

post-16297-1231278815.jpg

post-16297-1231278870.jpg

post-16297-1231278981.jpg

We have posted about 50 total on our website, so if you want to see more click the link below.

Edited by markmets415

post-16297-1231279892.jpg

post-16297-1231279906.jpg

post-16297-1231279914.jpg

A few of the remains of old Christmas Tree

post-16297-1231280135.jpg

post-16297-1231280143.jpg

Hey chief, aside that your tree looks a little bare(kinda tough to decorate), in the couple pictures of the backup line being used, was that just to give everyone a chance to do some work or was that actually required because the fire was getting a little bigger then expected. Just curious, other then that, great pictures.

Nice pics and why do some of the members have different color gear?

Nice pics and why do some of the members have different color gear?

I was thinking the same thing are the people with the different gear your explorers ?

The yellow gear crew are explorers from Pine Plains that come down to train with us frequently. As for the second line our operating guideline is always to pull a second line for use at the rear, i.e gas tank and any fire that may appear in the truck, it is also in place in the event of an issue with the first line. We were going to use Class B foam but had some issues (old foam in tank) with the system on the Engine. The foam on the ground was after the fire was out and we worked some with the Class A system which worked fine.

Here is a picture of our newest member Firefighter Scott Kelsey with me assisting using the line flowing Class A foam.

post-16297-1231290348.jpg

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARK!

NO GLOVES?????????????????????????

:lol::D:P

Good lob getting the probies involved!

the blue hose is on the other engine, 69-12

and yeah Dan I had just taken them off to go do something else and he wanted to flow alittle water so you got me, it was actually a test to see if anyone picked up on it. :rolleyes:

In one of the other pictures there is another issue with PPE, can you find it?

Edited by markmets415

Where was the FWD, Is it all done yet? :unsure:

It's being kept at a member's house at this point, no bay space at the station.

Edited by markmets415

Do the explorers actually put out the fire? Or do they back the nozzle man?

Do the explorers actually put out the fire? Or do they back the nozzle man?

From the pics it looks like they were just backing people up.

I gotta say I was a bit shocked by what I saw, NO BLUE HOSE ???

Here is it blue hose for you, front crosslay.

post-16297-1231295148.jpg

From the pics it looks like they were just backing people up.

Correct Tommy, we let them on the line but only as backup during the actual fire extinguishment, third on the line.

Edited by markmets415

Here is explorer Bradley Whalen on the nozzle, assisted by Firefighter Jason Dean, getting a feel for the line after the fire was out, he is just wetting down the interior.

post-16297-1231295673.jpg

Edited by markmets415

Ohh cool! Thanks for answering! I thought so because it the same in my department! Do they get to ride out?

Correct Tommy, we let them on the line but only as backup during the actual fire extinguishment, third on the line.

That's what I thought . Our department did a car fire drill last year but we only got to use the line after the fire was k/d.

Ohh cool! Thanks for answering! I thought so because it the same in my department! Do they get to ride out?

Yes they respond on apparatus to calls as well, we have written guidelines as to what they can do, trust me the list of can't do's is pretty longggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!! They are VERY WELL supervised. One major thing is they CANNOT be substituted for firefighters, basically they are an extra set of hands on the scene and have a well defined roll that WILL NOT be deviated from.

Edited by markmets415

Really that's cool. In my department we are also preveliged to ride the apparatus. Most calls we are not let out the truck, but in a fire they let us out. For example in August of 2007 there was a basement fire and I hit the hydrant,packed hose, and ventilated. We are not let inside any structures.

We would allow all the things you had done except the ventilation, of course hydrants is Wassaic are few and far between.

Ohh that's cool to hear!! Most other explorers aren't able to ride. By ventilation I am talking about with the gas fan. Nothing major.

not sure, but the ONLY thing I, might see, is the nozzel man on the back up line, is he wearing his mask and regulator ?? hard to tell with the pictures.... just my guess.

the blue hose is on the other engine, 69-12

and yeah Dan I had just taken them off to go do something else and he wanted to flow alittle water so you got me, it was actually a test to see if anyone picked up on it. :rolleyes:

6th Picture down. It looks like the guy kneeling between the two handlines is not wearing a pack.?

6th Picture down. It looks like the guy kneeling between the two handlines is not wearing a pack.?

You got it, the Chief was giving some last second instruction before the crews moved in.

Looked like a decent drill with good participation which is great! I'm not monday morning QBing..but just going with you Mark being you asked if there are any other safety things in the pics. I'm only going to mention the major car fire tactical things I see not mentioned.

Well in the 4th pic, the person taking the picture is lined up directly with the rear end of the car which is burning. Additionally the apparatus is positioned in the same manner and in one pic the pump panel looks like its pretty close to being directly behind the vehicle and there is a person standing there.

Also in the 5th pic there are numerous, and a couple still in the 6th, firefighters are on both knees. This slows your movements, makes you unstable when on a line and also significantly effects your reaction time if something were to go wrong. Stay on one knee, not both.

Finally, I see plenty of people on the lines but where are the irons or any other tools of choice?